Factory Correct Resto Corvette Restoration Tips, Bodywork, Numbers Matching, Period-Correct Modifications or Original Condition

Radiator Hose clamps

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 02:21 PM
Blackened 79
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Radiator Hose clamps

What is correct type of upper radiator hose clamp for a base '71 350 ? :confused:
Old 10-02-2002, 02:43 PM
71-LS5
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Radiator Hose clamps (Troublemaker 71)

Screw type(worm driven) clamps with a band made of stainless steel. The crew has a hex head with a slot and is carbon steel. It is a SURE-TIE brand clamp size 28. The sure-tite logo is embossed near the worm screw in itlaics running around the band. The stainless cage that holds the worm screw has WITTEK MFG. CO. CHI. U.S.A. embossed on it. That is straight out of the NCRS Tech Guide for '70-'72.
Old 10-02-2002, 05:45 PM
Doc Rebuild
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Radiator Hose clamps (Bob Demmel)

I was an authorized distributor for Wittek hose clamps for close to 20 years, and then they went bankrupt a few years ago. (I was told the owner died and his wife blew everything scampering around Europe.) I even sold them (stainess SG22 size) to General Dynamics (i.e. electric boat, nuclear subs) in Groton, CT.

In that time period from about 1975 to 1995 I purchased Wittek 28H by the case. After they went bankrupt, I read in a Michigan Corvette parts supplier printed catalog that there was only one “acceptable” or “correct” design for the placement, style, size, font etc with regard to the Sure-Tite or Suretite or SureTite and 28H logo.

My personal experience was much different. I still have thirteen different Wittek size 28H hose clamps and each has slightly different stampings. All these are original Witteks; I still have never held a repro Wittek in my hand.

Knowing 2 facts leads me to believe there were at least 13 different stamping dies to ID this size and trade name on these clamps. Also knowing that Wittek supplied these clamps and sizes to not only Corvette, but all GM and other manufacturers, one can conclude there were more than one machine stamping these sizes and logos for decades.

Mind you that these 13 different clamps were culled from my last case of 28H clamps, not from a 20 years span as a distributor. I think they are all typically representative of the product supplied and installed for decades on millions of vehicles. To think otherwise, one must conclude that Wittek had one stamping machine with one set of dies that only produced 28H hose clamps for Corvettes and they always used that one machine and dies year after year. Wittek was a company with multi-million dollar sales per year.

PS I still have all 13 of these different Suretite 28H’s and they are not for sale. If I had a better Sony Mavica for close-ups I would shoot them, but really is 83 and the Heavenly Donut Corvette only cruise is tonight.

Geoffrey Coenen
NCRS #2473
NCM Lifetime #105
Vettehead #18-1
Retired #1 56, 63, 67, 68, 68, 69, 75, 99 and I want more !

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator Hose clamps

Quick Reply: Radiator Hose clamps