Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

DuPage County residents,Illinois, Vehicle sticker note. Please read!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2007, 12:19 AM
RJPvettes4ever
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DuPage County residents,Illinois, Vehicle sticker note. Please read!

Saturday's Chicago Tribune had an article on page 12 of the front section concerning the DuPage County board having a sneaky meeting concerning having a meeting next week (maybe Thursday) on instituting a $50 vehicle sticker for DuPage county residents. I have attached the letter I have sent to my representatives. I have also included the web link for the representatives. Their e-mail addresses are enclosed on that page. Get the word out!

http://www.dupageco.org/cobrd/generic.cfm?doc_id=272

I have a 79 Vette that I don't need more nickle and dime stuff to happen. Plus I don't want to put a sticker in my window!
Here is the letter I sent.

Hello, My name is Robert Paczkowski. I am a resident of DuPage County in Downers Grove. I am deeply concerned about the article I have read in the Chicago Tribune concerning the addition of vehicle stickers to raise money for our revenue shortfall. I believe that this is a very unfair and unequal way to raise money. The people who would be most affected are those that have the least. Yes, we have many people in our area that $50 dollars may not seem like much, but what about the struggling families that have more than one car, the young people like my 20 year old who makes $10 an hour and barely has the money to pay for his plates each year, or students like those I have as a teacher that are trying to save money for college. How is this sticker fair to them? I, personally see no problem with some sort of tax that affects those that have more because they buy more. Those that don’t have as much won’t be burdened as they don’t have as much to spend so they won’t be as disproportionally affected.

I also have to add that there should be some exceptions. Yes, I do have my own agenda. I own some older collector cars that are driven very rarely. You may say that if I have the money for the cars that I should have the money for this and you would be correct but it would make me reconsider keeping them. I will add that my cars are in very poor shape and it will be a long time before they are show quality. I do not believe that these cars should be included as they are given consideration by the state with special plates.

As it stands, my family would have to pay out $350 for vehicle stickers. If I have to make a choice on keeping my cars or paying these fees, I believe that a couple of my cars may lose out. I also would take a stand against anyone on the board who votes for this in the next election. I would use my numerous connections in the school system and local community to help the cause. There has to be a better way. Please find it.
Old 11-11-2007, 01:15 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

2 sure things in life, death and taxes. Wonder what they will try next? I also wonder if you will need a county sticker in addition to a city sticker if the town you live in requires them? Car will start to look like a bulletin board.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:31 AM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's nuts..
Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

I think the sticker idea is ridiculous but No offense the arguments you make are not very convincing.

<<<I, personally see no problem with some sort of tax that affects those that have more because they buy more>>>>>

Shame on those people for being able to make some sort of living.

<<<the young people like my 20 year old who makes $10 an hour and barely has the money to pay for his plates each year, or students like those I have as a teacher that are trying to save money for college>>>

I know many kids who cant afford college let alone college and a car!

<<<If I have to make a choice on keeping my cars or paying these fees, I believe that a couple of my cars may lose out.>>>>

You said it yourself maybe some have to go if this is going to break the bank.

There are far more people with far more serious problems than you mentioned-those without jobs, those who cant afford college, those with high medical bills, the elderly living on a fixed income than worrying about the effect on someones extra collector cars
Old 11-11-2007, 09:02 AM
johnnyvettes
CHICAGO CREW !
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: We are living in a Bazzaro World everything is upside down half ass backwards !
Received 90 Likes on 63 Posts
CI 4-5-6-7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08 & '12

move to Chicago then complain what a sticker costs ........
Old 11-11-2007, 09:06 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by johnnyvettes
move to Chicago then complain what a sticker costs ........
Or Michigan's statutory assessment at $135 per car!
Old 11-11-2007, 09:06 AM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is a link to a newspaper article on the subject http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=75044&src=2. I just got my assessment notice for my 2008 property taxes - they got their vehicle sticker money in my next tax payment IMO.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:16 AM
vettesmith02
Safety Car

Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

It's clear that they want a bonus then.
Old 11-11-2007, 09:24 AM
DEV-06C6
Instructor

Indiana - $980 for my 06 C6.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:59 AM
Stilcrazee
Melting Slicks

I'd gladly pay $135 per car with no other nickle dime taxes.
DuPage county is proposing this $50 tax, the state is considering raising sales tax to pay for the CTA in Chicago that I never use (maybe those that use the CTA should quit bitchin about fare increases and consider the cost of a car and all that goes with it?) local village are raising sales taxes and oh by the way how about the propeerty taxes that keep going up? My assesed valuation of my house went up 8k this last notice...how can that be when real estate appraisals are down 10-15%?
Maybe it is time for the POLITICIANS to say no to special interests and cronyism and do the fri ggin jobs we elected them to do? Stop pissin away the money.
Flat tax sometimes seems like a better idea.
Old 11-11-2007, 11:19 AM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Lets see now the state income tax in Michigan went up way more than $50 yr, property taxes up but my property value down, Insurance costs up, gas prices up with more taxes, taxes being added to services, taxes for trash and other services our condos dont use, school taxes up for schools I dont have kids in, home heating costs up, water and sewer bills going up for anyone served by the city here, medical insurance premiums and deductibles up, jobs heading out of Michigan in droves, wages way down, so where is all the $$$ going?
Again the $50 sticker tax is ridiculous but not for the reasons the OP stated.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:20 PM
RJPvettes4ever
Instructor

Default Vehicle sticker

My point in bringing it up is that we can still do something at this level and I wrote my letter on how I saw it affect those around me and I e-mailed those I can have an effect on maybe (a big maybe but I continue to try.) The article says that they are having a meeting to discuss this next week and those who have something to say can still say it if it bothers them. My point in putting it up is that someone here may have a bigger voice or different voice or bigger connections to at least get them to listen. If enough voices are heard at times things can be done. I am just trying to spread the word and I will try to make the meeting and with your input make some stronger and more valid points. It's sometimes hard to think all options clearly through when in a rush. Thanks for the ears in letting me post this. You never know. Will keep you posted if I can make it. (If they don't make it a secret again)
Old 11-11-2007, 12:26 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator

Good luck! At least there are some people trying to do something instead of just complaining every time they get a tax hike
Old 11-11-2007, 02:48 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by RJPvettes4ever
My point in bringing it up is that we can still do something at this level ...
Originally Posted by DebRedC504
At least there are some people trying to do something instead of just complaining every time they get a tax hike

In Oh-Hi-Ya... we heard the same thing over & over... "there's really nothing you can do about it"

Those of us that ignored the "wimps"... got E-Check (our states emission testing) STOPPED !!! All the environ-mentalcase check-stations were closed down and the buildings were sold off.

Now, we're on to eliminating the front license plate requirement.

YOU CAN FIGHT CITY HALL.

Just don't expect changes to happen instantly. Stay the course and the voters eventually win.

Old 11-11-2007, 03:25 PM
JimBacus
Got LAPS?
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts
Here is a link to a newspaper article on the subject http://www.dailyherald.com/story/?id=75044&src=2. I just got my assessment notice for my 2008 property taxes - they got their vehicle sticker money in my next tax payment IMO.
My assessment notice went up 61K. I don't understand how that could jump so much...

Last edited by JimBacus; 11-11-2007 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:56 PM
yankee0304
Pro

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
In Oh-Hi-Ya... we heard the same thing over & over... "there's really nothing you can do about it"

Those of us that ignored the "wimps"... got E-Check (our states emission testing) STOPPED !!! All the environ-mentalcase check-stations were closed down and the buildings were sold off.

Now, we're on to eliminating the front license plate requirement.

YOU CAN FIGHT CITY HALL.

Just don't expect changes to happen instantly. Stay the course and the voters eventually win.

Great point Mike! I've been involved in standing up to the powers that be, with many others on local issues. If there are enough people that complain to the powers that be, and make logical points about it, victory can be achieved. One just has to be prepared to deal with some thick skulled politicians-remember, bring a very durable baseball bat to help beat the point into their heads.

One last thing...here's to all of those who served honorably to give us, defend and keep the freedom that we take for granted.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:36 PM
emsguy
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

my best guess is that the vehicle sticker is just being floated as a trial balloon, but what they really want is a .25% bump in the sales tax. if they get that, they may not go for the sticker

the sales tax increase will bring in more $$$$$ and it will be paid by out of county residents (non-voters) as well as DuPage county residents

the county does need the money, believe it or not. don't go by your entire tax bill - around 70% of it is for the schools. I bet the county portion of your tax bill is not more than 7 - 8 % of the total bill. and I don't believe that the county portion has not gone up as much as the schools in the last 10 years

remember, there are more people in DuPage county than in each of the five smallest states. the population of DuPage county is almost 1 million

if you don't want the sticker, contact your county board rep and tell them to vote for the sales tax increase - spread the pain

you can find the name and contact info for your county board member at dupageco.org

BTW - the votes in the primaries and the general elections (except presidential races) usually runs well below 50% of eligible voters - if you don't vote, don't complain

good luck to us all

Get notified of new replies

To DuPage County residents,Illinois, Vehicle sticker note. Please read!

Old 11-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by emsguy

the county does need the money, believe it or not.
I know nothing of your area; but everywhere I've lived, they never "need" the money

Oh sure, there's filmstrip presentations with pretty graphics and a lot of stats... but it's mostly a Hollywood sales-pitch presentation.

I'm involved with over 30 Fire/EMS/PD agencies on a daily basis. The bulk of the "we need it" is based on formulas that state for "XXX" amount of square mileage coverage... or for "XXX" amount of population density, "this $$$" is the amount of fire/EMS/PD spendage you should have.

And as most here already know - or can guess... these formulas are always severly slanted - in favor of spending more tax monies.

Last edited by Mike Mercury; 11-11-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:43 PM
emsguy
Pro

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike Mercury
I know nothing of your area; but everywhere I've lived, they never "need" the money

Oh sure, there's filmstrip presentations with pretty graphics and a lot of stats... but it's mostly a Hollywood sales-pitch presentation.

I'm involved with over 30 Fire/EMS/PD agencies on a daily basis. The bulk of the "we need it" is based on formulas that state for "XXX" amount of square mileage coverage... or for "XXX" amount of population density, "this $$$" is the amount of fire/EMS/PD spendage you should have.

And as most here already know - or can guess... these formulas are always severly slanted - in favor of spending more tax monies.

I was interested by your statement: "They never need the money"

we are unter a tax cap (PTELL) that for most governmental bodies, limits tax increases to 5% of the last year's extension plus new growth or CPI plus new growth, whichever is less. it has been running 3-4% the last several years.

since you are involved in the public sector, you know that salaries and benefits make up 80 - 85% of your budget. with worker's comp insurance rising 10% or more each year, and with health insurance running 15-20% increases each year, you must realize that at some point the revenue and expense curves will cross

couple that with decreasing tax rates for several years, and it is hard to see how anyone can say that "they never need it"

maybe it's different in Ohio. maybe there the taxing bodies are free to tax and spend whatever they want. but here, the taxing bodies, except the state and home rule municipalities, are constrained by the PTELL.

they are talking about laying off around 20% of the sheriff's department, curtailing spending on the convalescent home, ending the county-wide hazardous waste recycling program, etc.

I'm sorry, there are sometimes when "they DO need it"
Old 11-11-2007, 09:09 PM
Comfortably Numb
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by emsguy
I was interested by your statement: "They never need the money"

we are unter a tax cap (PTELL) that for most governmental bodies, limits tax increases to 5% of the last year's extension plus new growth or CPI plus new growth, whichever is less. it has been running 3-4% the last several years.

since you are involved in the public sector, you know that salaries and benefits make up 80 - 85% of your budget. with worker's comp insurance rising 10% or more each year, and with health insurance running 15-20% increases each year, you must realize that at some point the revenue and expense curves will cross

couple that with decreasing tax rates for several years, and it is hard to see how anyone can say that "they never need it"

maybe it's different in Ohio. maybe there the taxing bodies are free to tax and spend whatever they want. but here, the taxing bodies, except the state and home rule municipalities, are constrained by the PTELL.

they are talking about laying off around 20% of the sheriff's department, curtailing spending on the convalescent home, ending the county-wide hazardous waste recycling program, etc.

I'm sorry, there are sometimes when "they DO need it"
If they need the additional revenue to keep police and fire etc... working then I think the tax is a good idea. I'm not sure they have ever said what the additional revenue is for. Unfortunately they use threats to public services as a bargaining chip, when in fact there is a lot of money to begin with. I'd like to see what they spend all their money on. Guess they want to get all they can before the DEMS take over and tax us to death.

Quick Reply: DuPage County residents,Illinois, Vehicle sticker note. Please read!