Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Shop in illinois to swap diff?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:15 AM
stealthC513
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shop in illinois to swap diff?

I'm looking for a shop in illinois as close to chicago as possible to swap out my differential with a 3.42 in the spring. do any of you guys know of a good shop to do this kind of job? Thanks
Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 AM
takeman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '10

FLP in Naperville did mine on my 06 C6. If memory serves, they charged me $450 plus diff fluids. They did a good job, just had trouble getting the speedo calibrated correctly on my A6. I guess 06 was different from 07 and on...but they figured it out.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:31 AM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

North side : http://www.qualitytransmissionandauto.com/
West: http://www.atomictran.com/
Old 01-05-2011, 09:18 AM
BrianH
Burning Brakes

Whomever you pick to do the work you may want to make sure they do the work in house and not ship it off to RPM. While there's nothing wrong with shipping it off to RPM as you know the work is going to be done well, if it comes back around that you have problems it may save time and money to have someone that has the knowledge in house to do / troubleshoot the work.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
stealthC513
Instructor

Has anyone ever delt with or heard good or bad about D&M Corvette?
Old 01-05-2011, 03:06 PM
blackvetterzo6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,017 Likes on 566 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthC513
Other then outragous prices , no. Have never had work done there, but trying to buy a car off them was a joke. The saleman was a douchebag, and I'm being nice.:-(
Old 01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
stealthC513
Instructor

Originally Posted by blackvetterzo6
Other then outragous prices , no. Have never had work done there, but trying to buy a car off them was a joke. The saleman was a douchebag, and I'm being nice.:-(
Ya thats what I've heard from a few people just wanted to see if there was any good stories, good to know.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 PM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Jason Blue Boost has had the trans in his C5 R & R'ed there to be sent out for a rebuild. I believe he knows a tech there. The problem with them is you will be paying the Corvette tax when a regular shop that does diffs all day long is probally a better bet.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:34 AM
stealthC513
Instructor

Originally Posted by tommyn
Jason Blue Boost has had the trans in his C5 R & R'ed there to be sent out for a rebuild. I believe he knows a tech there. The problem with them is you will be paying the Corvette tax when a regular shop that does diffs all day long is probally a better bet.
Hey tommy thanks for the links to the trans shops, have u dealt with either of them or which would you take your vette to. I live about the same distance from both of them so that's not really a concern. Again thanks for your help.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:00 AM
tommyn
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '06

Hey tommy thanks for the links to the trans shops, have u dealt with either of them or which would you take your vette to. I live about the same distance from both of them so that's not really a concern. Again thanks for your help.
I have used Quality Transmissions for years. They have rebuild probally 100 transmissions for customers cars through different friends auto businesses and the used cars. I am pretty certain Mopar Jimmy have used Atomic for his 600 hp camaro in the past. I have not heard of any unhappy customers from atomic.
Old 01-06-2011, 11:39 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by tommyn
I have used Quality Transmissions for years. They have rebuild probally 100 transmissions for customers cars through different friends auto businesses and the used cars. I am pretty certain Mopar Jimmy have used Atomic for his 600 hp camaro in the past. I have not heard of any unhappy customers from atomic.
Tommy's suggestions make the most sense so you don't pay WAY more b/c of the Corvette Tax. Atomic Trans in Villa Park, on North Ave just west of Rt 83 also has built me Trans and they are the Tranny Kings in the near west DuPage County and I am sure they can help you to. If you first call there ask for Gordon the Service Manager they build thousands of trans every year but do all drive line related work.

They did build me a flawless turbo 400 trans for my old 755 hp/700tq (come on Tommy get your facts straight when it comes to horsepower ), 71 Camaro with its 555ci pump gas Mountain Motor (Atomic does great work).
Old 01-06-2011, 11:46 AM
stealthC513
Instructor

Thanks guys I'll be giving them a call soon

Get notified of new replies

To Shop in illinois to swap diff?

Quick Reply: Shop in illinois to swap diff?