Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

1995 opti spark help

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 10:14 AM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 opti spark help

id like to give a shoot out to all of you corvette lovers.and also to those of you that have not yet had that special love of a corvette...lol
i am located here in southwest michigan...well between kalamazoo and bangor to be exact. was wondering if anyone one had any imput on where i could take my vette to get the drivers side four spark plug wires replaced at.. i put new plugs and wires on the passengers side and also the four new plugs in the drivers side but still has a miss and they sure look like they have never been changed for sure. and also if by chance i do need an opti spark where would i get one and around how much? i have been looking to find someone that has changed there own plugs and wires on the drivers side in hopes of paying someone to do mine. still waiting on a call back from GM to get a quote on labor for just changing all the plugs and wires again and just giving me back what they take off. not sure if a dealer would just install the other four plug wires on drivers side??
thanks for any and all help that anyone gives me in this matter.
chris
Old 08-21-2014, 05:58 PM
Black94LT1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cruise-In 10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'14

I can't help much with where to get the work done, but I can say that it is not as bad of an install as it seems. I did it a couple of years ago when I installed headers and the key seemed to removing the ASR, and looseing the PS pump (Don't quote me on that) but you just have to open up the hole a little bit. Search the threads as there are several with great tips for replacing plugs and wires. The key is you have to be under the car to install the coil end, it all becomes much easier once you look at it from underneath - a lift helps

I know you have wires already, but the magnecor wires from LPE are excellent, a true factory fit with superior quality.

As for the Opti, is your water pump leaking, if so, yes replace it, if not and if your miles aren't high, it may not be the issue.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Store_Code=LPE
Old 08-21-2014, 06:42 PM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

thanks for the info.i dont have a lift just a floor jack but i had it up and on jack stands but couldnt even see or figure out how people were doing it from underneith. i can see the top two wires that plug into the opti spak from looking from the top but not even sure i could change the top two i see.. i have watched the diy vid but il keep looking just to see if i missed anything on an easy way...thanks for the help and info on my 95 lt1. would you have any idea if a shop or dealer would just replace the 4 plug wires i have left to change? or would i have to buy another set for thm to install them?
chris

Originally Posted by Black94LT1
I can't help much with where to get the work done, but I can say that it is not as bad of an install as it seems. I did it a couple of years ago when I installed headers and the key seemed to removing the ASR, and looseing the PS pump (Don't quote me on that) but you just have to open up the hole a little bit. Search the threads as there are several with great tips for replacing plugs and wires. The key is you have to be under the car to install the coil end, it all becomes much easier once you look at it from underneath - a lift helps

I know you have wires already, but the magnecor wires from LPE are excellent, a true factory fit with superior quality.

As for the Opti, is your water pump leaking, if so, yes replace it, if not and if your miles aren't high, it may not be the issue.

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/merc...Store_Code=LPE
Old 08-21-2014, 06:45 PM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

also if i do purchase those plug wires they are 8.5 which is bigger than whats on there now..would i have to change anything else or no?
thanks

Originally Posted by bigdaddys95
thanks for the info.i dont have a lift just a floor jack but i had it up and on jack stands but couldnt even see or figure out how people were doing it from underneith. i can see the top two wires that plug into the opti spak from looking from the top but not even sure i could change the top two i see.. i have watched the diy vid but il keep looking just to see if i missed anything on an easy way...thanks for the help and info on my 95 lt1. would you have any idea if a shop or dealer would just replace the 4 plug wires i have left to change? or would i have to buy another set for thm to install them?
chris
Old 08-21-2014, 09:25 PM
Black94LT1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by bigdaddys95
also if i do purchase those plug wires they are 8.5 which is bigger than whats on there now..would i have to change anything else or no?
thanks
Even though they are 8.5 they are designed to fit in smaller clips (the jacket compresses). I did slightly enlarge the holes in the clips a little on mine, just because I had it all apart anyway and it only took a few minutes with a dremel.

If you were closer I'd say come by and put it up on my lift, but I would imagine a set of ramps would be jus about as easy. Honestly the hardest part was finding where they're at from underneath, once you see them, it becomes a lot easier to visualize how to route them.

If you find a local mom and pop shop they would probably install what you have, others may say no to customer supplied parts
Old 08-21-2014, 09:39 PM
Black94LT1
Le Mans Master

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...lug-wires.html

This thread tells it all
Old 08-22-2014, 07:10 AM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

yes it seems easy enough but i cannot lay on the ground much any more due to my problems over the years but i sure do thank everyone for the links and advice i have been givin in this matter. i think il just have to find out what a dealer will charge and when i get the money have it done.
thanks to everyone for your help

Old 08-22-2014, 02:48 PM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

ok thanks. no i have noticed nothing coming from my water pump i have had the corvette for about 16 mths and have never had to add any fluids at all. and have not seen anything in my driveway except a small oil leak i have but have no idea where that is leaking at or how to find out without just replacing a few things i guess but that can get expensive for sure

Old 08-23-2014, 04:09 AM
Black94LT1
Le Mans Master

Oil leak very well could be the intake manifold. The RTV used by the factory for the front and rear seal is notorious for failing. Easy repair for an annoying leak
Old 08-23-2014, 03:55 PM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

thanks for the info.. easy fix huh i wouldnt have any idea where to start and cant really afford to keep putting into the gm dealer..ouch i keep my vette up nice and drive it right so its not raged out at all in fact for a 95 it is pretty damn nice compared to most. my question would be is there a how to video on how to do something like that myself or isnt that possible.
thanks very very much for all the info.. just wanted to add that the oil leak is minor due to the fact that i have put 15000 miles on it in a lil over a year and have never had the oil level low. although on my concrete driveway it looks major. but my reason to try to figure that leak out is because it gets on the passengers side exhaust pipe and at times when im done driving it i can smell it and see like smoke coming up from behind the engine against the fire wall..and the oil is getting on the bend where the passengers side pipe bends towards the center towards the other side of exhaust..
chris.

Oil leak very well could be the intake manifold. The RTV used by the factory for the front and rear seal is notorious for failing. Easy repair for an annoying leak

Last edited by bigdaddys95; 08-23-2014 at 04:52 PM. Reason: ad more to post
Old 08-23-2014, 08:47 PM
Black94LT1
Le Mans Master

Mine leaked for years before I fixed it and honestly it was one of the easiest jobs I've ever done. Look around for a set of factory service manuals, they are worth the money.

I don't recall all the details, but it is just a matter of pulling off the fuel rail covers, the fuel rails, and the MAF, etc then you can unbolt the manifold. Scrape the gaskets and the RTV off and reapply. Be sure to use high quality RTV like "right stuff" and torque everything to spec.

I haven't looked, but I'm sure there are several threads and tech tips on this one too
Old 08-24-2014, 08:11 AM
bigdaddys95
Instructor

oh ok ...wow sounds like about 5 to 8 hrs labor then huh.. this body dont move or flex like it used to so id have to put it in the shop im sure but i do thank you for the info for sure

Mine leaked for years before I fixed it and honestly it was one of the easiest jobs I've ever done. Look around for a set of factory service manuals, they are worth the money.

I don't recall all the details, but it is just a matter of pulling off the fuel rail covers, the fuel rails, and the MAF, etc then you can unbolt the manifold. Scrape the gaskets and the RTV off and reapply. Be sure to use high quality RTV like "right stuff" and torque everything to spec.

I haven't looked, but I'm sure there are several threads and tech tips on this one too

Get notified of new replies

To 1995 opti spark help

Quick Reply: 1995 opti spark help