Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Speed Inc and Blackdog Racing

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 07:24 PM
ljorges
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

Default Speed Inc and Blackdog Racing

Hey Guys,

So I am looking to get longtube headers installed, change out plugs and wires and get my girl tuned. I already have all the materials and am looking to find a good trustworthy shop to get the work done, not horribly far from Chicago.
Doing a little research here, I've come up with speed inc. and Blackdog racing. Am I correct in assuming that both of these shops are quality shops to deal with? If that's the case then it would come down to which one has the most competitive price.
Anyone who has had experience with any of these shops want to chime in with their experiences?

I already have a vararam CAI and have switched my 2003 verts exhaust to the titanium exhaust. Is there anything that would make sense to take care of now? The lt headers I have are a used set of LG street. Do the LGs tend to have fitment issues?

Finally, what numbers $$$ do you think would be a fair price for that work. I know that's a subjective question but I'm curious nonetheless.

Thanks,

Les
Old 08-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Maligator
Melting Slicks

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

You also have fast motorsports to the NW...........
Old 08-28-2014, 11:58 AM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I Was in the same boat you were a few years ago. I ultimately went with speed inc because they were a little more affordable. Last year I had them install the LS7 clutch in the car. This spring they cammed my car and tuned it. Very happy with their work and will return if I do more performance mods.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:45 AM
540i 6spd
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by johnsos30
I Was in the same boat you were a few years ago. I ultimately went with speed inc because they were a little more affordable. Last year I had them install the LS7 clutch in the car. This spring they cammed my car and tuned it. Very happy with their work and will return if I do more performance mods.
Same here.
Old 08-29-2014, 01:54 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I had long tubes put on my GTO at Speed INC about 4 years ago. I got about 10 miles and the cars engine sputtered and died. I had to get it towed back to Speed Inc and they were going to see what was wrong with it. The next day they call and said they could not figure out what was wrong with the car and it would have to go to the dealer. Turns out the coolant temp sensor had melted.
Old 08-29-2014, 02:54 PM
Priz23
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

You should look into libertyville Chevy performance center. They'll cost a little more, but well worth the money. These guys really know GM performance and have outstanding service.
Old 08-29-2014, 06:18 PM
ljorges
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Priz23
You should look into libertyville Chevy performance center. They'll cost a little more, but well worth the money. These guys really know GM performance and have outstanding service.

I did look into that as well but it wasn't a little more, it was about double.
I have heard a lot of good things about them and they also did my CLB and the skip shift eliminator.

Les
Old 08-30-2014, 10:19 AM
LemansbluebyU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by Priz23
They are good but I believe they send the car to speed Inc if they need to tune it, they don't have a dyno
Old 08-30-2014, 10:56 AM
Priz23
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

They'll negotiate on price. I gave them other quotes and they came down on price. I'm not sure who they use today, but my car was sent to straight line for tuning. The other thing i noticed was while speed was a cheaper quote, it left out things (my cam work required an ls3 conversion since I had a l99, speed didn't have that included).
Old 08-30-2014, 11:13 AM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by LemansbluebyU
They are good but I believe they send the car to speed Inc if they need to tune it, they don't have a dyno
They (Libertyville) use Fast Motorsports to tune not speed inc.

OP sending you a PM with my recommendation...
Old 08-30-2014, 05:30 PM
black98c5
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Straight Line and FLP are shops I've used for work in the past and would recommend.
Old 09-09-2014, 12:35 PM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

So I just heard the main tuner at Speed Inc left. Also heard Speed Inc is having problems with tuning cars now. Does anyone know if that's true?
Old 09-10-2014, 09:10 AM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Jim who is the tuner at Speed Inc. is a friend and I can assure you he is still there and tuning cars. Larry (also a good friend) who was in sales left a few years back..... I think people confuse Larry with Jim occasionally when it comes to thinking their tuner left.

I have been doing business with Tom (owner) since he opened his shop around 15 years ago. I have had them tune multiple cars, ordered tons of parts and have sent more people over there than I can count. Always quality service and positive feedback from those I have sent there. I may be biased but I think Speed Inc. is a great shop and I would not hesitate for a second to send someone there for quality work and fair prices.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:54 AM
johnsos30
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MVR 155
Jim who is the tuner at Speed Inc. is a friend and I can assure you he is still there and tuning cars. Larry (also a good friend) who was in sales left a few years back..... I think people confuse Larry with Jim occasionally when it comes to thinking their tuner left.

I have been doing business with Tom (owner) since he opened his shop around 15 years ago. I have had them tune multiple cars, ordered tons of parts and have sent more people over there than I can count. Always quality service and positive feedback from those I have sent there. I may be biased but I think Speed Inc. is a great shop and I would not hesitate for a second to send someone there for quality work and fair prices.
Awesome. Good to know. They did my clutch and cam and was thinking heads this coming spring. When I heard the rumor of Jim leaving and Speed having tuning issues I started to think that I might have to find a differ shop. Glad I don't. Speed has always treated me well and I will return.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 AM
LemansbluebyU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Originally Posted by MVR 155

Mitch put me in touch with Tom at Speed Inc when I bought my car, been very happy with speed inc. Tom is a great guy to deal with, very fair and he has always been very realistic in setting expectations and to me that's very important.
Old 09-11-2014, 07:27 AM
PeteZ06
Safety Car

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11

Whenever I need anything done, only one place comes to mind!

Get notified of new replies

To Speed Inc and Blackdog Racing

Quick Reply: Speed Inc and Blackdog Racing