Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Need a Trusted Mechanic in Columbus (north) Ohio?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2014, 05:17 PM
mchenpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need a Trusted Mechanic in Columbus (north) Ohio?

'92 Base Coupe 48K miles; no modifications other than muffler eliminator and K&N filter.

Fairly sure I need the Opti replaced. A shop pulled the code (not sure exactly what code) and said the signal from the distributor was weak. The service engine soon light is on and the car will sputter under hard acceleration and has a very rough idle. Then it runs fine sometimes. Its very inconsistent but it seems to be an issue once it warms up.

Anyone have a trusted mechanic recommendation so I can get the straight story and have the work done. This is beyond my skill set. Anyone have this done and want to tell me what I should expect to pay?

Thanks in advance,
Old 08-29-2014, 07:13 PM
danshill
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts
2021 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

See if Scott can help you at Corvette-Care. The shop is located on Dearborn Drive just off Worthington Rd. The number is 614-985-0753.
Old 08-30-2014, 07:39 AM
jversluis
Burning Brakes

Received 63 Likes on 35 Posts

The tech at Coughlin Chevy Pataskala is fantastic. 25years of exp there. He has worked on my 427 and does a fantastic job and the dealership is straight shooter. Work with Randy service writer, Chuck Metts tech.
Old 08-30-2014, 12:47 PM
GRipp 73
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts

Sounds like you have two good suggestions this far. Sorry I don't have any.

I once changed the opti in my old 96 Z28 and it wasn't too bad of a job. No real tech skill needed. Just bolts and a couple of screws.

I went with an msd replacement and it did a nice job over the stock unit, but that did have over 100k miles on it.

Good luck.
Old 10-03-2014, 07:29 PM
mchenpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey, thanks for the input guys. I ended up at Corvette Care and the work was done well. Opti, water pump, and some tention pulleys.

Dont ask how much!

Anyway, she is running strong and getting new drilled/slotted rotors and pads tomorrow morning (doing that myself) so look for pics to follow.

And look to see me at C&C two weeks from now; to cold tomorrow and doing the fall colors tour out of Zanesville the following weekend.

Get notified of new replies

To Need a Trusted Mechanic in Columbus (north) Ohio?

Quick Reply: Need a Trusted Mechanic in Columbus (north) Ohio?