Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

M22 Is Now Officially Off My Bucket List (lots o' pix inside)

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 03:49 PM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default M22 Is Now Officially Off My Bucket List (lots o' pix inside)

I had an absolute BLAST doing M22!!!!! I never thought it would be as fun as it was! I crammed so many things to do in two days I'm amazed I accomplished them all. (Believe it or not, the pix I'm posting is only about 50% of what I really did) I met the most incredibly nice people along the way. There is something nice to be said about meeting people from all across the U.S. and the Midwest in particular.

On the way up Friday morning I avoided the storms that crossed northern Michigan and I avoided the storms that crossed lower Michigan Friday night...you talk about dodging two bullets at once!

First day was Detroit to Traverse City, where I did a tour of the Traverse City State Hospital built in the 1880's (aka: "The Looney Bin") It is now a complex that has been turned into boutique restaurants and shops, doctor and lawyer offices, condos and apartments. I found out about this tour on Trip Advisor and surprisingly enough, it was rated pretty well. So I thought what the heck, why not? The tour guide was an actor in local theatre and he was a great story teller. We toured the renovated portion of the property (shops and restaurants) as well as patient buildings that haven't been touched since the '60's. We also got to walk the steam tunnels that connects all of the properties. THAT was creepy!

Brick steam tunnel built in 1883

This room is now a chapel where they hold weddings

Next day I started out at 10:00 am and left my B&B for my first stop and starting point which was Manistee.

Next stop was Inspiration Point....had to climb 120+ stairs to get to the top.....but once you were there, the view was incredible.

Next stop was Point Betsie Lighthouse

This is a group of really cool people that did the same stops as me all day, so I had to get their picture since they took mine!

Then it was on to the "Tunnel of Trees"

On to Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive where I met a lovely couple from Pittsburgh. When I approached this stop, I saw they were taking pictures of the dunes. I offered to take their photo and they immediately jumped on the opportunity. So I took some "kissy/huggy pix of them that were appropriate to post on their social media sites, I'm sure with the dunes in the background...and you'll see later where they took some of me....but here's more pix of the dunes for your enjoyment....

Now, what was amazing about this drive is I timed it so the last stop I made was so I could photograph the sunset over Lake Michigan. I have never seen or experienced anything so breathtakingly beautiful in my life....

What was a really cool bonus, as the sun was going down in the west, the super moon we were experiencing was rising in the east!

The end......

Last edited by luvmy82; 09-10-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:12 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Thanks for pics of blonde!
Old 09-10-2014, 04:17 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Thanks for sharing the pictures and glad to hear you had such a nice time.

My family and I have been going to Northern Michigan (From Chicago) every year for the past 11 years. We stay in Elk Rapids, which you would have driven through on your way up to the Tunnel of Trees along US 31.

My mother-in-law actually grew up spending the summers in the area and still has family there. Memorial Day weekend 2013, we had some of our relatives purchase an old farmhouse in Leland, MI right on M22 just north of the town.

I've never had the Vette up there, but there are certainly some great roads for them. We're up there for about a week each summer and have also been there in Jan (to see the snow), Oct (to see the leaves), and Thanksgiving (to just do something different).

We've been to the old hospital for the shops, but never the tour. Might have to look into that for next time. I always like to find something new. Do you think it is too creepy for a 7 and 10 year old?

Last edited by imgn tht; 09-10-2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:26 PM
luvmy82
Melting Slicks

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by imgn tht
My mother-in-law actually grew up spending the summers in the area and still has family there. Memorial Day weekend 2013, we had some of our relatives purchase an old farmhouse in Leland, MI right on M22 just north of the town.

We've been to the old hospital for the shops, but never the tour. Might have to look into that for next time. I always like to find something new. Do you think it is too creepy for a 7 and 10 year old?
I actually stayed at the Whaleback Inn in Leland in a cottage that looks over Lake Leland! I just loved staying there!

The tour itself is great, and the kids should be able to handle it just fine. However, when you go into the steam tunnels just tell the tour guide to let you out because part of the tour involves turning off the lights into pitch black darkness and taking pictures of "orbs" that mysteriously appear when you take a picture!
Old 09-11-2014, 06:51 AM
silverbird
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Great shots....Thanks for sharing.
Glad the weather cooperated and you had a good time.
The State Hospital tour seemed really cool.
I've been going up to the peninsula for many years but haven't heard of it......I'll have to check it out.
Driving M22 and the Leelanau County back roads (especially in a Vette) is pure bliss.
Silverbird
Old 09-11-2014, 05:39 PM
slolane
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CI 7-8-9 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '07-'08 & '12

Wow great pics thanks for sharing Looks like you had a very nice trip
Old 09-11-2014, 05:54 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,275 Likes on 13,957 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Looks like a great place for a visit. Thanks for the pics.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:42 PM
DebRedZR1
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,622 Likes on 1,741 Posts
CF Banner Relay Captain
West MI & JAX/NE Florida
Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17, '21

Wow, stunning pics GF!!!!! How did I miss this post
Glad you made it up there, it's spectacular!
The M22 in the sand was epic! Can't beat the sunsets and moon rises there
Old 10-04-2014, 12:17 PM
Ohcat68
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cool pics, love heading up north

Get notified of new replies

To M22 Is Now Officially Off My Bucket List (lots o' pix inside)

Quick Reply: M22 Is Now Officially Off My Bucket List (lots o' pix inside)