Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Electrical question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 01:43 PM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Default Electrical question

Already posted in the c-4 section but was wondering if anyone local has an opinion.

On the way to FunFest this past weekend my 94 blew the valet fuse which powers the transmission solenoid packs and also feeds the alternator. I have dissected the wiring, took all of the wiring and solenoids out of the transmission, have that complete circuit disconnected, removed the PCM and battery from the car and still had a dead short going from the fused side to ground. This morning I took out the alternator and as I disconnected the regulator plug from the alternator my circuit finally went open. OK shorted alternator I thought. Just had it tested at 2 different shops and both tests say the alternator is good. The only things on this circuit are the feed for the field on the alternator and the feed for the trans solenoids. With everything out the circuit is clean. Even with the fuse blown the alternator was still working with no field being fed. So even though it tests OK, I think the regulator has to be shorted internally. There is no other place for this circuit to pull ground from unless a wire has chaffed. Which I just confirmed is not the case with my last test. Has anyone ever seen this before? Also with the feed being open how is it getting a field voltage? I just spoke with a re-builder in Algonquin and he is stumped too. His only suggestion was the regulator has shorted internally in a way that it is still fielding and thus charging.

Weird....
Old 09-23-2014, 02:19 PM
LemansbluebyU
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12, '15

Years ago I had an alternator that had an internal short, it gave me all kinds of headaches trying to figure it out what I thought was other electrical gremlins, I finally just put a new alternator on as a process of elimination and everything was fine again.....You might just want to try that
Old 09-24-2014, 08:56 AM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,491 Likes on 1,005 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Sounds like a cracked connector at the alternator to me…
Old 09-24-2014, 09:08 AM
kevakasper
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Quick Silver Z
Sounds like a cracked connector at the alternator to me…

I will look it to that Bob-O, you are da man!

Get notified of new replies

To Electrical question

Quick Reply: Electrical question