Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Hawaii??? Do we have an Hawaii travelers that can offer advice to a 1st timer?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 01:13 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Received 201 Likes on 162 Posts

Default Hawaii??? Do we have an Hawaii travelers that can offer advice to a 1st timer?

I posted up in the Pacific section as well - trying to get a Midwest perspective now.
Looking at trip to Hawaii in May and seeking advice on typical and not so typical places to visit or places to stay.
Current plans are to fly into Honolulu and spend 4-7 nights depending on what we arrive at for an itinerary.
After that looking for a second island to head to - Maui and Kauai are in the lead for the second stop.
We have access to a condo on Oahu but its not beech front - thoughts if this is a deal breaker?
We have several to choose from on Kauai but would need to motel in Maui.
Best or worst flight ideas would be helpful.
Thanks In Advance
Old 12-27-2014, 12:20 PM
jdsaengine
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 111 Posts

Just came back in mid November from 2wks on Maui. It was our first time (40th anniv trip). We stayed at Kaanapali which is pretty much resort row at the Westin and were very happy with them and the location.

We took a day trip to Oahu, otherwise stayed on Maui the whole time. Rented a mustang convert. and drove the whole island. Let me know if you have any specific questions about Maui or see my earlier post in OT.

Flight from Indy was a be-otch both ways on American, fly first class if you can since its such a long flight just for the leg room
Old 12-27-2014, 03:39 PM
gmsuv
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1968swbbigblock
I posted up in the Pacific section as well - trying to get a Midwest perspective now.
Looking at trip to Hawaii in May and seeking advice on typical and not so typical places to visit or places to stay.
Current plans are to fly into Honolulu and spend 4-7 nights depending on what we arrive at for an itinerary.
After that looking for a second island to head to - Maui and Kauai are in the lead for the second stop.
We have access to a condo on Oahu but its not beech front - thoughts if this is a deal breaker?
Thanks In Advance
One of the places to visit on Oaho is to vist is the Polonesian Culturer Center. Don't go by tour bus, drive yourself early in the morning,. The place is big and you'll want to see all the different areas.
Google it and you'll see what I mean. If you go by bus you arrive later in the day and you miss alot of the attractions.
Also you might want to go to Diamond Head Crater. If you drive inside, park, and climb the many stairs to the top you'll get some good shots of the island. Great workout but special place to take selfies that many people never realize that you can.

Last edited by gmsuv; 12-27-2014 at 06:30 PM.
Old 12-27-2014, 08:56 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Thanks for the advice -keep it coming - we have the booked the tickets
we ended up flying into Phoenix and then to Honolulu we will fly direct from Kauai back to Phoenix. Phoenix is a smaller airport than LAX of San Fran so it should be easy to change planes - grab something to eat and relax for a few minutes.

So Oahu for 5 nights & Kauai for another 4 nights
Cars are rented.
Still working on specific locations to stay on the islands but that seems like the easy part
Keep the advice flowing & again thank you for all of the input
Old 12-28-2014, 10:19 PM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

Check out tripadvisor.com for recommendations on things to see and do in Oahu and Kaui. It's a great place to start. Also, if you plan on attending a Luau, you may want to read the reviews and reserve early. Some of the more popular venues require reservations months in advance. They may also offer early booking discounts through their websites. It should be a fun and memorable trip. My wife and I were there on a Hawaiian inter-island cruise a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. We plan on returning to the islands again in the near future.
Old 12-29-2014, 11:23 AM
Voytek
Team Owner

Received 80 Likes on 29 Posts

Stay at the Kahala resort on Oahu (about 15 min drive from Waikiki) but beautiful, quiet, and they have resident dolphins that you can interact with. One of the best resorts I've ever been to.

On Kauai, stay the Grand Hyatt... Kauai is my favorite island. Going to be my home when I retire. The Grand Hyatt cannot be beat!

If you choose Maui, stay at the Ritz Carlton, 4 Seasons, or Andaz. Maui is my 2nd favorite.

When you decide which island you're going to, I'll give you all the island tips and tricks. I've been to Hawaii 15 times and to all the islands.

I book everything online (travelocity, orbitz) but we have a travel agency in Cary that matches online prices if you want a personal touch. http://www.carytravelexpress.com/
Old 12-29-2014, 11:28 AM
Voytek
Team Owner

Nevermind just read your reply... do you want to do physical activites or laid back type of stuff?

Kahala resort on Oahu and Grand Hyatt on Kauai. You won't regret it.
Old 12-30-2014, 06:48 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

Looking at doing a mix of activities.
Kauai
Wiamea canyon
Helicopter tour
luau
Peacock Bass Fishing
Fern Grotto
ATV tour are all on the agenda to date - subject to change based upon recommendations.
Oahu
Pearl Harbor
Fishing - shark or deep sea
Beech Bum
Farmers market

Thanks to all for the recommendations to date - keep them coming

Originally Posted by Voytek
Nevermind just read your reply... do you want to do physical activites or laid back type of stuff?

Kahala resort on Oahu and Grand Hyatt on Kauai. You won't regret it.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:53 AM
greendot
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You said you've got cars rented, but you can save a few $$ in Kauai with
http://rentacarkauai.com/
Old 12-31-2014, 02:12 PM
Voytek
Team Owner

C-Lure fishing in Kauai... great people. Caught this monster.

Old 12-31-2014, 02:13 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

forum member Woody lived there for several years he may be able to offer some info
Old 12-31-2014, 02:19 PM
1968swbbigblock
Drifting

That's a nice marlin - 1/2 day or full day charter?
I like the fact that off Kauai you can be trolling in 10 mins
Old 12-31-2014, 04:28 PM
Voytek
Team Owner

That's a nice marlin - 1/2 day or full day charter?
I like the fact that off Kauai you can be trolling in 10 mins
Yeah you can be trolling right out of the marina, there is an instant drop off. 4 hour private just me and the wife $400
Old 01-01-2015, 04:02 PM
icntdrv55
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've only been to Oahu once, and it was in 2012, so value my advice based on the money you paid for it….nada. On that note, another hotel reco I'd give is the New Otani Kaimana Beach Hotel (http://www.kaimana.com) near Waikiki. It's at the far southeast end of the Waikiki Beach tourist area at the edge of the residential area. We stayed there in January, and the place wasn't overly crowded. Ocean-front suites are huge with private balconies and "reasonably priced" (for the Waikiki area). Beware their budget rooms, however, as they are sized similar to a walk-in closet--you'll hate yourself after about 5 minutes for trying to save money. Check out the Oceanfront Deluxe, which gives you a 434 sf King bed ocean view for $376/night. I think most of those rooms are on the 3rd-7th floors.

An easy walk to the busy areas and hotel/shopping strip along Waikiki, or an energetic walk of several hours to the top of Diamond Head and back. Also within easy walking distance of Kapiolani Regional Park, the Honolulu Zoo and the Waikiki Aquarium. Best little coffee and breakfast place we found within walking distance was Bogart's Cafe on Monsarrat (http://bogartscafe.webs.com).

Oh, forgot one thing…the Univ of Hawaii women's swim team practices and does their warm-up stretches and calisthenics on the beach in front of the Otani. Unfortunately, my wife noticed me noticing…

Last edited by icntdrv55; 01-01-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:44 AM
Rob Willis
Safety Car

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

If your going to pony up and go to Hawaii you should get ocean front or ocean view accommodations IMHO.

Only been once (2010). Kauai. If ever returning to Hawaii it would be back there.
Old 01-04-2015, 12:44 PM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 239 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks In Advance
Sign up for a Hyatt MasterCard. You will get 2 free nights at a Hyatt. If your wife signs up for her own card you can get a total of 4 free nights. I stayed at the Grand Hyatt in Kauai.

https://creditcards.chase.com/credit...yatt-card.aspx
Old 01-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Lacoven
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lived there for 5 years and visited 3 islands, have any questions just PM me.
Old 01-24-2015, 07:08 PM
pcolarossi
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks In Advance

We visited Hawaii in May of 2014. We ended up going with a tour company. They plan everything and make sure you see as much as possible. Since you've already made some flight reservations, you can go on the tour company website and see what they have for itineraries, and work from there. We visited Oahu (least favorite), Maui (not so busy), Kaui (perfect), and the big Island (pretty good). The website will list what hotels they stay with (usually the best ones). They also will send you a DVD and you can watch and decide from there. Send me a private message and I'll give you their name. I don't know if the forum rules allow giving non-vendors name's out. Good luck! You'll enjoy the trip.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:51 AM
1964 in 808
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have lived here all my life, PM me for info, we can talk or e-mail.

Get notified of new replies

To Hawaii??? Do we have an Hawaii travelers that can offer advice to a 1st timer?

Quick Reply: Hawaii??? Do we have an Hawaii travelers that can offer advice to a 1st timer?