Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Xpel

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 10:24 AM
Pete01
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Xpel

Anyone have a recommendation on an installer in the Chicago land area, got my first chip on bumper it's a crises
Old 04-26-2016, 10:30 AM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

find the xpel site and use their locator...
Old 04-26-2016, 10:31 AM
robert miller
Team Owner

Received 1,762 Likes on 1,529 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e
shouldn't go wrong doing this.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:40 AM
9C1
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had Rick @ Body Skins do my 2008 Z06. A good job for one of the first Z06s he ever did. I am completely satisfied.
Body Skins
847-530-8443
info@bodyskins.com
Old 04-26-2016, 11:03 AM
Elite275
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 61 Posts

For those with xpel, do 100% of the tiny bubbles go away or do you still find a few small bubbles here and there. I just had my wife's Boxster done and overall the job is good, but when I look very close and really scrutinize I can find a few small bubbles left behind.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:25 AM
cep1932
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default xpel

I would say it will go away, My window tint did the same thing and then it all went away.
Old 04-26-2016, 12:03 PM
JohnnyDee
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 100 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C7 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C5 of Year Finalist (performance mods)
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by robert miller
shouldn't go wrong doing this.
Oh but you can! Research the installer. All "certified" installers are not created equal.
The following users liked this post:
joeybsyc (05-10-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 12:21 PM
SK360
Melting Slicks

Received 241 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Elite275
For those with xpel, do 100% of the tiny bubbles go away or do you still find a few small bubbles here and there. I just had my wife's Boxster done and overall the job is good, but when I look very close and really scrutinize I can find a few small bubbles left behind.
They may or may not. Honestly if you can't see them from a foot away I wouldn't worry about it.

My installer who is a sponsor of the local cars n coffee group and does a lot of high end work (always a lambo, bentley, ferrari etc in his shop) has this on his site.

Please remember that this is Paint Protection, not Paint Perfection:
Does this mean that Prestige Auto Armor does not take the utmost care in making your clear bra as invisible as possible? Not at all. It is what "our" reputation is based on & that of which we are most proud! However, just like a beautiful sparkling diamond, if you examine it close enough for imperfections, you will most likely find them. There may be minute flaws in the film, or a spec of dust or fuzz that found its way in, flaws in the paint that you didn't notice previously, or limitations with installation due to pattern design(s). We have, on many occasions during installation, removed the flawed or contaminated film and started over, but it still does not mean that any installation will be absolutely perfect. We are sure you will appreciate our high attention to detail and we, in turn, appreciate your reasonableness.
The following users liked this post:
Elite275 (04-26-2016)
Old 04-26-2016, 12:49 PM
DCortez
Drifting

Received 197 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen e

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON"T DO THAT!!!

You did yourself a huge favor by asking here. My "certified installer" shouldn't touch anything more expensive than a Honda Accord, and I'm not trying to be a wise guy.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:33 PM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Pete01
Anyone have a recommendation on an installer in the Chicago land area, got my first chip on bumper it's a crises
To find an installer nearest you click here: XPEL Illinois

Originally Posted by 9C1
I had Rick @ Body Skins do my 2008 Z06. A good job for one of the first Z06s he ever did. I am completely satisfied.
Body Skins
847-530-8443
info@bodyskins.com
Rick does great work!

Most of them should subside, some of these could be moisture trapped under the film and if they dont go away after a week or so, take it to your installer and ask them to take a look at it.

--------------------------------

As many above have mentioned, not all installers are created equally. There are installers that are more knowledgeable on certain vehicles, application techniques, and overall understanding knowledge of paint protection film installation. This all comes with practice, and more importantly years on the job. Instead of going to the 'cheapest' guy, check out a few local installers and see their installation quality, and if you feel comfortable letting them work on your vehicle.

Most installers shouldn't mind if you ask them to see some of their work. Always ask for wrapped edges where possible and ask if they use our pre-cut kits. Which means there will be less cutting with an blade on the vehicle.
Old 04-26-2016, 01:36 PM
Glen e
Race Director

Received 926 Likes on 484 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by DCortez
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, DON"T DO THAT!!!c

You did yourself a huge favor by asking here. My "certified installer" shouldn't touch anything more expensive than a Honda Accord, and I'm not trying to be a wise guy.
YES DO THAT..... Nobody said you should go to their site and take the first guy on the list, but that's where you can find the people in your area and then you can do your due diligence talking to customers from there as to who's good, it's common sense…
Old 04-27-2016, 02:58 AM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 614 Posts

Originally Posted by SK360
They may or may not. Honestly if you can't see them from a foot away I wouldn't worry about it.

My installer who is a sponsor of the local cars n coffee group and does a lot of high end work (always a lambo, bentley, ferrari etc in his shop) has this on his site.
I agree, if you look for imperfections you will find them! But such is life.

What I'm mildly not happy about is how some edges get wrapped and other don't.

99% of my car is excellent, 1% (mostly the gas door and wing spoiler) have edges that are colleting dirt at an alarming rate. I need to find a way to clean the gas door without damaging the film.

My installer was in Nashville because I did an NCM delivery, so I can't go back to him (as he would most certainly fix whatever issues I have). Need to go to someone local, but I'm not sure how that process works and the XPEL support link wasn't the most helpful. Might have to contact my installer and have him forward me to a local guy, although I wish XPEL would do that.

Otherwise, things are excellent, and would recommend the film regardless of the small issues (as I'm sure all things have minor issues, as I said such is life!)
Old 04-27-2016, 05:09 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,293 Likes on 13,966 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Had Xpel installed on my DD. All the bubbles went away on it after sitting in the sun for a while.
Old 04-27-2016, 10:12 AM
XPEL
Supporting Vendor

Received 271 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
I agree, if you look for imperfections you will find them! But such is life.

What I'm mildly not happy about is how some edges get wrapped and other don't.

99% of my car is excellent, 1% (mostly the gas door and wing spoiler) have edges that are colleting dirt at an alarming rate. I need to find a way to clean the gas door without damaging the film.

My installer was in Nashville because I did an NCM delivery, so I can't go back to him (as he would most certainly fix whatever issues I have). Need to go to someone local, but I'm not sure how that process works and the XPEL support link wasn't the most helpful. Might have to contact my installer and have him forward me to a local guy, although I wish XPEL would do that.

Otherwise, things are excellent, and would recommend the film regardless of the small issues (as I'm sure all things have minor issues, as I said such is life!)
If you do need assistance finding an XPEL installer to fix any issues related to the warranty process, please send us an email to support@xpel.com

The kits allow for wrapped edges where possible, meaning that if it can be wrapped, it will be. There are limitations with any paint protection film, as it doesn't wrap edges and corners as easily as vinyl. This is the reason for seams and unwrapped edges in some parts. It's unfortunate, but it still gives you the best coverage against rock chips and other impacts.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:34 PM
vanhise
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had my new 2016 Sharks Grey installed at my home 90 miles away last week by MIDWEST AUTOBAHND,Chicago. I love the job and would recommend them.
Old 04-27-2016, 08:42 PM
Fcal
Drifting

Received 193 Likes on 136 Posts

Had mine (Ultimate) installed 2 days ago. Do light stretch marks go away.
Installer did a great job, but being very picky, I found what looks like a couple of stretch marks.

Last edited by Fcal; 04-27-2016 at 08:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:10 PM
tail_lights
Race Director

Received 252 Likes on 210 Posts

Just had mine done Monday in San Antonio, overall the job was fantastic.
Old 05-10-2016, 09:15 PM
joeybsyc
Drifting

Received 314 Likes on 219 Posts

Originally Posted by Fcal
Had mine (Ultimate) installed 2 days ago. Do light stretch marks go away.
Installer did a great job, but being very picky, I found what looks like a couple of stretch marks.
No they do not.

Get notified of new replies

To Xpel

Quick Reply: Xpel