Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Henry Ford Museum

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2016, 03:39 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Henry Ford Museum

By all accounts the museum and village are worth a visit. Be a decent road trip with the vette. However there are undercurrents always mentioned concerning safety, mine specifically. Any recommendations on where to stay? Which way NOT to go etc? Never been to Detroit so my only reference is google or bing maps. Thanks............Ed
The following users liked this post:
TorchRedlt4man (05-04-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 04:10 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Stay across the street at the Dearborn Inn.
Can't go wrong there.
Coming east on I 94 exit at Oakwood and north about 2 miles to the Inn.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:31 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 917 Likes on 610 Posts

That part of Dearborn (West Dearborn) is totally fine. Avoid going to close to Detroit (as with most big cities, the fringes seem to be worse than the very interior).

I work down there (in Dearborn, for the guys with the big oval) and never feel unsafe. I can recommend some good lunch and dinner spots!
Old 05-02-2016, 06:37 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Thanks for the info guys-I did a quick check and the Dearborn Inn is nearly twice the cost of the Comfort inn near Greenfield village-is that not a good area? My travel budget
is more motel than hotel lol
Old 05-02-2016, 07:42 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Which comfort? Near Fairlane Mall? That's fine.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:18 PM
Lou7787
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by lovinmyls1
By all accounts the museum and village are worth a visit. Be a decent road trip with the vette. However there are undercurrents always mentioned concerning safety, mine specifically. Any recommendations on where to stay? Which way NOT to go etc? Never been to Detroit so my only reference is google or bing maps. Thanks............Ed

Actually I think you'll be fine for the most part. Do not wonder around on foot. Stay in the car and know where you are and where you're going. Don't go out after dark unless you have to and if you do know where you're going and try to stick to well lit area's. If you find yourself in a place where you don't feel comfortable, leave.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:43 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Lou7787
Actually I think you'll be fine for the most part. Do not wonder around on foot. Stay in the car and know where you are and where you're going. Don't go out after dark unless you have to and if you do know where you're going and try to stick to well lit area's. If you find yourself in a place where you don't feel comfortable, leave.
It's not that bad. Jesus. Going out at dark is fine. Western Dearborn has some nice bars. Parking is free, in the downtown you can walk around. It's about 6 blocks so it's not exactly huge.

Otherwise the places to go are a short drive (30 minutes) in southeastern Oakland County (Ferndale/Royal Oak), northwestern Wayne County (Plymouth/Northville), or downriver (Trenton/Riverview). Downtown Detroit has its pluses too.

A cool drive is to Plymouth via Edward N Hines drive (if it's open) or Ann Arbor Trail (if it's not). Nice relaxing scenic roads and Plymouth is a cool little town.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:52 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
Which comfort? Near Fairlane Mall? That's fine.
I don't see a mall nearby but the address is 20061 Michigan Ave....seems to be near a train station-=Dearborn Station.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:56 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Originally Posted by Lou7787
I get it - my next town over is Gary In and Chicago is about 30 miles away - same rules apply I would say. Thanks.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:00 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by lovinmyls1
I don't see a mall nearby but the address is 20061 Michigan Ave....seems to be near a train station-=Dearborn Station.
The Mall is on Evergreen and Michigan, 5 minutes north of the Hotel. So yea, that's the one I was thinking of. West Dearborn is just down Michigan between Oakwood and Military.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:01 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Originally Posted by LS3 MN6
It's not that bad. Jesus. Going out at dark is fine. Western Dearborn has some nice bars. Parking is free, in the downtown you can walk around. It's about 6 blocks so it's not exactly huge.

Otherwise the places to go are a short drive (30 minutes) in southeastern Oakland County (Ferndale/Royal Oak), northwestern Wayne County (Plymouth/Northville), or downriver (Trenton/Riverview). Downtown Detroit has its pluses too.

A cool drive is to Plymouth via Edward N Hines drive (if it's open) or Ann Arbor Trail (if it's not). Nice relaxing scenic roads and Plymouth is a cool little town.
Ok,I will have to study map a bit more but I do want to take in the museum-sounds like a gearhead paradise!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:04 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

You all have been very helpful and I do appreciate it very much, Thanks.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:07 PM
LT1 Z51
Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Hmm. I'm a bit biased, I classify The Henry Ford more as an innovation and Americana museum with cars as a side attraction. The train displays as well as some of the more unique exhibits are more famous than the car stuff.

I'm trying to think of other car things in the area, GM has. Museum in Sterling Heights but it's closed to the public usually. There is Woodward Ave, but that's just the road. The DIA isn't too bad (if art is your thing) and the Zoo is pretty nice (that's on Woodward in Royal Oak).

Ann Arbor also has its own museums and such.

The issue with Metro Detroit is everything is spread out all over.
Old 05-03-2016, 10:23 AM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Last month I visited NCM again and while in the area I checked out the Historic Railpark.
Enjoyed it so much I'm looking forward to the train exhibits too at Henry Ford. I guess as long as it's got wheels? LOL
Old 05-03-2016, 03:05 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

There are a couple of new hotels on Michigan Ave at Telegraph Rd as well. Looking at Google Maps, one of them in called Staybridge Suites. I don't recall what the other one is. Maybe a Holiday Inn? It might not even be open yet.

I've worked in Dearborn for 17 years and never had any safety issues. Les Stanford parks all of their Corvettes outside right on Michigan Ave up the street from the museum so it's not like the town hasn't seen a Corvette before. To be honest, once everyone working at Ford goes home for the night/weekend, Dearborn is a sleepy little town. You'll have to go downtown or to one of the other areas around metro Detroit to find something interesting to do. As LS3MN6 said above, look into Royal Oak, Plymouth, Northville, or Farmington/Novi depending on what you're looking to do after taking in the museum.
Old 05-03-2016, 03:59 PM
FKING1
Safety Car

Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

That's a good Motel. 5 min to the Museum or the Fairlane Mall.

Safe area.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:15 PM
lovinmyls1
Racer

Originally Posted by FKING1

That's a good Motel. 5 min to the Museum or the Fairlane Mall.

Safe area.
That's probably where I will book a room then thanks although I will check out those other new places that were mentioned.

Get notified of new replies

To Henry Ford Museum

Quick Reply: Henry Ford Museum