Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

Performance Shop in Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2016, 08:44 PM
Nick_2010
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Performance Shop in Chicago

Hey guys,

I have a 2010 Grand Sport with an ECS blower kit and headers.. Ive got a dreaded knocking sound that has developed, and Im not sure if its a bent lifter or a rod knock... I need a performance shop to inspect, diagnose, and repair... Speed Inc did the tuning for the blower but Im not sure thats where I want to take it yet. I know of speed inc and straightline performance but want to get some other views and opinions, or maybe someone is close with some of the guys in each shop to guarantee a good job and clean work..

Let me know your thoughts and views!

Nick
Old 09-19-2016, 07:09 PM
UsaBest
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What about Corvette Mike in Burr Ridge?
Old 09-20-2016, 12:58 AM
Mopar Jimmy
Team Owner

Location: Elmhurst, IL (West Suburb of Chicago) & Home of MEGA Horsepower
Received 584 Likes on 399 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Since your asking for referals other than Speed, Inc, I would hightly recommend Finish Line Performance (FLP) in the Aurora area as an excellent choice and so is Straightline Performance. Also, look into Black Dog Racing out of the Mundelein, IL area as they race corvettes and are involved in professional racing and they are a great LSx High Perf. Corvette option also.

I would call and visit both FLP and Black Dog and see who gives you the better customer service and leaves you with more confidence right off the bat.

Last edited by Mopar Jimmy; 09-20-2016 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:07 AM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

What is your hesistation going back to Speed inc? I have a basic street tune appointment scheduled for my C5 in early October. They've always come highly recommended here on the forum.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:22 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,497 Likes on 1,008 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Don't forget our friend Kevin at Libertyville Chevrolet Performance Center.
Old 09-20-2016, 04:30 PM
MVR 155
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cruise-In XI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Speed Inc. is a great shop, I also question your hesitation to go back there? Do you own tools and possess some basic wrenching knowledge? If yes then I would recommend pulling the valve covers yourself and see if you can spot a valve train issue (broken rocker, bent pushrod, etc....). This may save you some coin in the diagnosis of your problem.
Old 10-06-2016, 08:44 PM
imgn tht
Melting Slicks

Received 158 Likes on 131 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13, '15

Originally Posted by imgn tht
What is your hesistation going back to Speed inc? I have a basic street tune appointment scheduled for my C5 in early October. They've always come highly recommended here on the forum.
Well now I know why I personally am hesitant. Had a basic tune scheduled for tomorrow morning at 9am. It's been booked since Sept 12th. Just got an email from them today at 3pm stating they are closed tomorrow because a previous customer of theirs invited them to a drag shootout at Great Lakes and someone at the shop decided they would all attend. The customer is the president of the Midwest V Club. Apparently they feel their relationship with this group is more important than upholding a commitment to new customers. As I was told in the email "the plans have already been arranged"....yeah so were mine since mid Sept!!! No honoring that I guess. My pockets must not be deep enough to compete with the PRESIDENT of the Midwest V Club.

I started to reschedule for a different day, but then got so upset over it that I just cancelled altogether. I'll find another shop that appreciates their customers and doesn't prioritize days at the track over commitments made to customers for weeks in advance.
Old 10-06-2016, 09:06 PM
Nick_2010
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey everyone thanks for the suggestions. I ended up taking it to a small shop that I know the tech and know he will be very careful with it. The engine is out of the car and engine/heads are at PER in plainfield. The heads checked out fine, so I'll be upgrading the springs and valves... Engine block has some scoring on cylinder 1 walls so theyre going to take it apart and see what could be the cause of the knock.

It never lost oil pressure and was a mild knocking sound so im hoping the damage isnt too terrible.
Old 10-11-2016, 10:03 AM
Quick2
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick_2010
Hey everyone thanks for the suggestions. I ended up taking it to a small shop that I know the tech and know he will be very careful with it. The engine is out of the car and engine/heads are at PER in plainfield. The heads checked out fine, so I'll be upgrading the springs and valves... Engine block has some scoring on cylinder 1 walls so theyre going to take it apart and see what could be the cause of the knock.

It never lost oil pressure and was a mild knocking sound so im hoping the damage isnt too terrible.
Best of luck with everything.

Get notified of new replies

To Performance Shop in Chicago

Quick Reply: Performance Shop in Chicago