Great Lakes Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Michigan | Missouri | Minnesota | Ohio | Wisconsin

St. Louis tire installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 06:56 PM
jujy
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default St. Louis tire installation

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've had a set of new wheels hanging out in my house for 8 months now, waiting for my current tires to need replacement. Well, I'm at that point now and after talking to, and getting quotes from two installers- one of them a chevy dealer- I'm feeling less than hopeful about finding someone who can do the job without destroying my new wheels. The tire shop admitted that they were very hard to mount, and they may scratch them in the course of doing the job. The dealer gave me an outrageous price and also stressed how hard they were to mount, taking anywhere from 6-10 hours. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-13-2017, 07:08 PM
Mordeth
Melting Slicks

Received 1,678 Likes on 878 Posts
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10, '17

Can't help with a place in St. Louis. But you want a Hunter machine. Start calling around. My dealer charges $40/tire to mount and balance on his Hunter machine. Price is a tad on the high side, but they are done right every time. Easy on/easy off, with no damage or drama. I watch them do it in no time. No idea what you're dealer is talking about saying "6-10 hours". That is ridiculous, absurd and they are clearly amateurs using outdated equipment.

Call places that mount tires for exotic cars like St. Louis Motorcars or Exotic Motors Midwest. Go wherever they send their cars to swap tires. Call Chevy dealers and ask specifically if they have a Hunter machine.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:15 PM
jujy
Intermediate

Thanks for the response. Looks like I'll be making some calls tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:15 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Give Rent and Roll in Fairview Heights a call. They rent and sell high dollar wheels. I asked them the same question you have. They told me that they have the equipment and expertise to do it.
The following users liked this post:
jujy (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 08:28 PM
SGZ062LZ
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by jujy
Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I've had a set of new wheels hanging out in my house for 8 months now, waiting for my current tires to need replacement. Well, I'm at that point now and after talking to, and getting quotes from two installers- one of them a chevy dealer- I'm feeling less than hopeful about finding someone who can do the job without destroying my new wheels. The tire shop admitted that they were very hard to mount, and they may scratch them in the course of doing the job. The dealer gave me an outrageous price and also stressed how hard they were to mount, taking anywhere from 6-10 hours. Thanks in advance!
  • I use Bill, the Corvette mechanic at Elco Chevrolet on Manchester Road. 3 sets of tires over the years and no scratches. The last two sets were on my 15 Z06

Last edited by SGZ062LZ; 03-13-2017 at 08:32 PM.
jujy (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 08:32 PM
VictorBarron
Drifting

Received 375 Likes on 264 Posts

Originally Posted by SGZ062LZ
  • I use Bill, the Corvette mechanic at Elco Chevrolet on Manchester Road. 3 sets of tires over the years and no scratches.
Hey Bill ready to do some cruising.

Old 03-13-2017, 08:49 PM
jujy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by VictorBarron
Give Rent and Roll in Fairview Heights a call. They rent and sell high dollar wheels. I asked them the same question you have. They told me that they have the equipment and expertise to do it.
I never in a million years would of thought of this place. So funny because I've driven by that place many times. Guess it's worth checking out!
Old 03-13-2017, 08:52 PM
jujy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SGZ062LZ
  • I use Bill, the Corvette mechanic at Elco Chevrolet on Manchester Road. 3 sets of tires over the years and no scratches. The last two sets were on my 15 Z06
Thanks for the help. I was feeling a little hopeless about the whole situation. Now I just need to do a little more research and make a decision.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:58 AM
RonC7
Melting Slicks

Received 1,295 Likes on 857 Posts

Call Jerry's Tire in Edwardsville and ask for Brian or Keith (the owners). They have replaced tires on my C6 and C7 with no issues. They have done all tire, brake, and suspension work on all of my cars for 30 years.

Their price was better than Tire Rack + shipping + install on Michelins for both Vette's

Tell them I sent you.

Ron

Last edited by RonC7; 03-14-2017 at 09:59 AM.
jujy (03-14-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 11:41 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,230 Likes on 13,933 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Thanks for all the recommendations. It's hard to find a high quality tire shop that won't mess up your wheels around here.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:08 PM
sabasigh
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey, let us know what you end up doing!
Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 PM
jujy
Intermediate

So after thinking about the options, I decided to check out Jerry's Tire Sales in Edwardsville. I'd actually heard good things about them from an acquaintance at a local cars and coffee as well as the recommendation posted here. Went to their website and did their online quote which came up to $1,997 and change. After calling them, I decided to go ahead with them. Dropped off the wheels on Friday and am going back on Tues. to have the new wheels/tires swapped out. I'll let you all know how it goes. Apparently several members of the local corvette club use this place, so fingers crossed!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:42 PM
sabasigh
Instructor

Originally Posted by jujy
Apparently several members of the local corvette club use this place, so fingers crossed!
Hey which Corvette club is this? I am thinking of joining one this summer.

Good luck w/ the tire shop.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:58 PM
jujy
Intermediate

The local club is the Lookingglass club. I believe they meet in O'fallon, IL. I'm not a member of this club, but do belong to the Southern Illinois Camaro Club. Fun group! Anyway, I'll post another update Tuesday evening.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:33 PM
sabasigh
Instructor

Ok thanks, that's the same club that Bill @ Elco recommended...i will check them out.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:58 PM
jujy
Intermediate

Well, today was my Christmas morning. I've been so excited/nervous about this install, that I've barely been able to sleep. So the wheels were dropped off last Friday with the intention of taking the vette back this afternoon. The tires had been installed with absolutely NO PROBLEM!! In fact it only took them 1 1/2 hours to mount them. No scratches, no dings, just perfection! Took them about an extra 45 minutes to remove my old wheels/tires and put on the new ones. I'm so happy and relieved to have had such a great experience! Definitely recommend Chris at Jerry's Tire Sales, he was obviously the guy for the job. Brian -one of the owners- was great! Anybody who needs new tires, definitely this is the place. I plan on going back in the fall to get some sort of "winter" tire put on my old wheels.
Attached Images    
Old 03-22-2017, 08:19 AM
NewfGuy
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sabasigh
Hey which Corvette club is this? I am thinking of joining one this summer.

Good luck w/ the tire shop.
Lookingglass Corvette Club. We meet on the first Thursday of the month at the VFW in O'Fallon. GREAT group of people. I've been a member for 3 years now, and we love it.

Get notified of new replies

To St. Louis tire installation

Quick Reply: St. Louis tire installation