Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Photo Gallery Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:43 AM
ShanMan14
Administrator

Received 132 Likes on 62 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran

Default Photo Gallery Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

The following questions are answered in this FAQ:
  • Why must my images be approved?
  • Why is categorizing my image so important?
  • How often are images approved?
  • What factors influence the delay in getting my images approved?
  • Why were my images deleted and not approved?
  • Should I create my own photo album?
  • What if I want to view only my photos?
  • Why are there duplicate images?
  • How do I delete images?
  • Some of my images appear as "NO THUMBNAIL." Why?
  • This is all very confusing to me, will you please explain the proper way to upload and categorize?
  • I prefer not to go through any of this. What are my alternatives to sharing my images?
  • I've read your how-to on posting images, and I'm still confused.
  • I still have questions, how do I get help?

Why must my images be approved?
In order to maintain decency standards and to properly categorize every image, the owner of the site has the photo gallery setup where each photo must be approved. This ensures that every photo uploaded is manually checked to make it conforms to site decency standards and that the uploader properly categorized the image.

Why is categorizing my image so important?
If you're looking for photos of the interior of a C5 Corvette, you would expect to find such photos in "C5 interiors", and not "General upload space or "C3 Motors". Due to the large volume of images contained within the gallery (over 46,000 images), each newly uploaded photo is manually checked.

How often are images approved?
Currently there is one person assigned to approving images. The gallery is checked each weekday, and sometimes on weekends. Photos uploaded on weekends may take longer than the standard 24 turnaround period.

What factors influence the delay in getting my images approved?
Since there one person approving images, many factors may delay image approval. The ability of the approver to get to a PC on a daily basis is the biggest reason. However during times where abnormally large volumes of images are uploaded, there may be a longer delay. Also, large volumes of images that are not properly categorized delays image approval as well.

Why were my images deleted and not approved?
For those unfamiliar with the gallery software, it may be confusing to categorize images. However, doing so greatly speeds up the chances for your (and others) images to be approved. We try to manually change the categories when one is not selected or the improper category is selected, but this is not always possible. In the event a large number of images is pending approval and a subsequent large number of images are not categorized, your images may be deleted in order to speed up the process of image approval for others that have properly categorized their images. We try not to do this, but in fairness to others, this does happen from time to time. Simply upload your photos again and select the proper category.

Also, some new images that not upload properly may appear as "no thumbnail." In these instances, they are deleted. Simply upload your photos again and select the proper category.

Should I create my own photo album?
No, there is no need to do that. There are already over 125 pre-defined categories where anything Corvette related should fit.

What if I want to view only my photos?
Use the search function and enter your forum name under "Search by Username". The results will display all images you've uploaded regardless of category.

Why are there duplicate images?
When you upload and categorize your photos, you are allowed to choose more than one category at a time.

For instance, let's say you upload a photo of a C5 Coupe that showcases the wheels. You could categorize that photo as "C5 Corvette Coupe" but "C5 Wheels and Tires" would also be an appropriate, alternate, category.

In doing so, you're only uploading the photo once, but it will now appear twice in two different cateogries. If a member browses "C5 Wheels and Tires", they will see your photo. They will also see your photo while browsing "C5 Corvette Coupe".

When you search for your images (the photos that have been submitted by you to the forum) that particular photo will appear twice. It's not a duplicate and this is not an error! Should you delete the photo from one category, the subsequent categories will now display the "No Thumbnail" image.

How do I delete images?
To delete (or edit) an image in your gallery [My Corvette Photos],go to "My Gallery", or click on "My Corvette Photos" under your user-name,then click on the thumbnail of the pic you want to delete to bring up the full size pic, then scroll to the bottom and click on "edit pic" on the right hand side, then scroll down to this: "If you want to delete this image completely, check this box ", then check the box,then click on "submit changes".

Some of my images appear as "NO THUMBNAIL." Why?
There is a long-standing and known issue with Photopost, the software we use for our gallery. From time to time, your image may randomly appear as "no thumbnail." There is no fix for this and in most cases the images return, eventually.

Also, some new images that not upload properly may appear as "no thumbnail." In these instances, they are deleted. Simply upload them again.

This is all very confusing to me, will you please explain the proper way to upload and categorize?

From the drop-down menu, choose EVENTS->GALLERIES *OR* click here.

Choose UPLOAD PHOTO from the upper right

Categorize your photo(s) - Browse for files you want

Upload/Submit your photos

Process File(s) - Categorize, Title, and Description

My Gallery (Pics approved within 24 hours)

I prefer not to go through any of this. What are my alternatives to sharing my images?
You may use a third party service, like photobucket. Click here for a tutorial on how to sign up. And, click here for a tutorial on how to use Photobucket.

I've read your how-to on posting images, and I'm still confused.
Corvetteforum member viper8u2 has created a video tutorial for you see how it's done.

I still have questions, how do I get help?
The most commonly asked questions have been addressed in this FAQ. If your question is not addressed, post a thread in the help section. We'll try to answer your question and update this FAQ as necessary.

Quick Reply: Photo Gallery Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)