Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:21 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by J T
The answer is this forum does have an "Attachment" feature that would be similar to what other sites use to allow on-site hosting. However, this site reserves that feature to Supporting members.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/payments.php
The description of a Supporting member indicates you can upload lots of pics to you gallery, is that the same as putting them in a thread post?

If i become a supporting member, where do i find the instructions on how to attach pics to my posts?

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2010, 10:18 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Jim,

I'll try to answer this as it's not a simple Yes or No. When you post messages and a picture, pictures can be posted via the Attachment feature (only to Supporting Members) or you can hot-link an image that is served from another website (available to all users/members).

On CorvetteForum, you must be a Supporting Member to use the Attachment feature. However, if your image/photo is hosted outside of CorvetteForum, you can (normally - it depends on the provider) hot-link the image no matter what your membership status.

CorvetteForum also offers a PhotoGallery. The different levels of paid membership dictate how often, and how much, you can load into the PhotoGallery using your account. Here's your PhotoGallery:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/phot...ploadphoto.php

You can see the available space on your account in the lower bottom corner. If you become a Supporting member, different levels will increase your space and frequency of uploading offered to you.

In addition, the vBulletin software also provides each user a Photo Album - which is linked within your profile: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/memb...rhead-jim.html

On the right-side of your profile, you'll see a "Albums" section with a "You have not created any albums" along with a "Add Album" link.

To use the Album section,
1) Click on the Add Album link
2) Enter a title for your Album
3) Enter a Description for your Album
4) Select if you want the Album to be Private or Public
5) Click Submit
6) Click on the Upload Pictures link above or below the photo album picture:

7) Click on the Browse buttons to display the contents of your hard drive(s) of your computer, in order to select and find the photos you wish to upload.
8) Click on the Upload Pictures link:

9) You have the option of switching the photo album cover with any of the 3 images you previously uploaded. If you do not wish to make that change, simply click on Save Changes. If you do wish to replace the photo album cover with any of the images you previously uploaded, simply click on the "This is the album cover" radio button under the image you wish to use as the photo album and then select the Save Changes

As you can see, there is a lot of ways to upload and display images within a post or your account.

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
The description of a Supporting member indicates you can upload lots of pics to you gallery, is that the same as putting them in a thread post?

If i become a supporting member, where do i find the instructions on how to attach pics to my posts?

Thanks!
Attached Images   

Last edited by J T; 01-21-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:26 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Thanks!
Old 06-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Skip Burney
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike66
Great tutorial but why is all this needed? Why can't this forum use a more simplified method for attaching pictures instead of creating yet another account with passwords and usernames? Craigslist, eBay and other sites use an application similar to email attachments that allow users to simply find the picture, click it and destination found. So simple. The current method is cumbersome.
now thats what I am talking about I belong to the Super Cub forum and you can post photos there really easy just click and post
Old 06-13-2010, 05:10 PM
J T
IB Staff

The answer is this forum does have an "Attachment" feature that would be similar to what other sites use to allow on-site hosting. However, this site reserves that feature to Supporting members.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/payments.php

Originally Posted by Skip Burney
now thats what I am talking about I belong to the Super Cub forum and you can post photos there really easy just click and post
Old 06-15-2010, 09:29 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

Today i signed up as a supporting member, and tried a couple of test pics in the test forum. They show up as thumbnails instead of the "normal" full width they would be in an email.

I read the discussions above about resizing the pics, can't figure it out.
Can someone tell me how to get the pics to normal size?
Thanks!
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2010, 09:40 PM
J T
IB Staff

Congratulations.

When you post Attachments, as you are a Supporting Member, they do appear as thumbnails. Users then click on the thumbnail if they want to view a larger (or full) sized version.

If you are posting Attachments, and the thumbnail is at the end of the page, there is a way you can also post an enlarged version. However, at this time, it is not automatic. You would have to do so each time you post an attachment.

When you upload an image via the Attachment Manager, under the Current Attachments will be the name of the Attachment you just uploaded. Right-click on the link and select Properties. Copy the address.

Then, paste the address between the [img][/img] tags. This will post the full-version (up to the point where the automatic image resizer will allow).

The above way is the only way to do it. I would imagine it is set this way so that other viewers, browsing the thread, aren't subjected to see (and downloading) full-sized pictures unless they desire to do so. This can increase the bandwidth usage for both CorvetteForum as the viewer as well.

Today i signed up as a supporting member, and tried a couple of test pics in the test forum. They show up as thumbnails instead of the "normal" full width they would be in an email.

I read the discussions above about resizing the pics, can't figure it out.
Can someone tell me how to get the pics to normal size?
Thanks!
Attached Images  

Last edited by J T; 01-21-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '13

When I do that with a photo from my own collection, I just get another window with the photo in it. How do I copy that address and then paste that address?
Attached Images  
Old 06-16-2010, 12:06 AM
J T
IB Staff

It will vary across web browsers. When you right-click on the link, your menu may be different if you're using a different web browsers.

You want the "Copy Link Location" or "Copy Shortcut". Doing this copies the URL of the image to your clipboard, in which you can then paste between the [img][/img] tags.

Or, you could just copy the URL/Address from the new window that opens - it should be the same.

When I do that with a photo from my own collection, I just get another window with the photo in it. How do I copy that address and then paste that address?
Old 06-16-2010, 12:31 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Like this, except you'll have both images.

Old 06-17-2010, 06:43 PM
oldvettedrvr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oldtimer

Dfab, I guess I cannot see the forest for the trees but I cannot figure out how to get pictures into the "My Corvette Photos" album. I am pretty sure I know how to upload pictures but I cannot figure out how to get them into the album.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Julian
Old 06-17-2010, 07:27 PM
J T
IB Staff

Do you mean this album of yours:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/album.php?albumid=11881

1) Click on Edit Pictures in the right section of the Album next to the Edit Album

Click on the Upload Pictures link, as shown here:

Note the link above is a bit hidden due to text/link color and background color. When you hover over the link, it's more noticable.

From there you should be able to upload more photos.

Originally Posted by oldvettedrvr
Dfab, I guess I cannot see the forest for the trees but I cannot figure out how to get pictures into the "My Corvette Photos" album. I am pretty sure I know how to upload pictures but I cannot figure out how to get them into the album.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Julian
Attached Images  

Last edited by J T; 01-21-2012 at 10:52 PM.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:40 AM
oldvettedrvr
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oldtimer

Wow that is hard to see!!! I am talking about the alum on the left below the Avatar and above the "Member since" line.. How do I get pictures into it???
Thanks,
Julian
Old 07-18-2010, 11:38 PM
macs65
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I guess what I'm doing is wrong. I go to my desktop, find the photo, upload it, but it is always a thumbnail. How do I enlarge???
Must I join Photobucket or some other site to upload a decent photo??
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 PM
J T
IB Staff

By default, when you post Attachments, as you are a Supporting Member, they do appear as thumbnails in your post. Viewers then click on the thumbnail if they want to view a larger (or full) sized version.

You can, manually, make it so that a larger version of your attachment is displayed in your post - like it would if you were hotlinking from another site. However, you must do this manually, each post.

When you upload an image via the Attachment Manager, under the Current Attachments will be the name of the Attachment you just uploaded. Right-click on the link and select Properties. Copy the address/URL.

Then, paste the address/URL between the [img][/img] tags. This will post the full-version (up to the point where the automatic image resizer will allow).

The above way is the only way to do it. I would imagine it is set this way so that other viewers, browsing the thread, aren't subjected to see (and downloading) full-sized pictures unless they desire to do so. This can increase the bandwidth usage for both CorvetteForum as the viewer as well.

Originally Posted by macs65
I guess what I'm doing is wrong. I go to my desktop, find the photo, upload it, but it is always a thumbnail. How do I enlarge???
Must I join Photobucket or some other site to upload a decent photo??
Attached Images  

Last edited by J T; 01-21-2012 at 10:53 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 02:17 PM
TurboTnZ06
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike66
Great tutorial but why is all this needed? Why can't this forum use a more simplified method for attaching pictures instead of creating yet another account with passwords and usernames? Craigslist, eBay and other sites use an application similar to email attachments that allow users to simply find the picture, click it and destination found. So simple. The current method is cumbersome.
I will say you can make a nice living building excellent easy to use user-focused software which replaces shet workflows like the one you are describing. But it isn't cheap to build up front, but it is cheaper to not have to rebuild it over and over again. Look at windows, quickbooks, if it was easy to use and actually designed correctly, they wouldn't be on version X^n
Old 08-23-2010, 09:35 PM
garywalsh
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with Spike66. This is way to complicated and will force members not to post pictures. I already have enough passwords and usernames. I don't need anymore.

Get notified of new replies

To The official how to post pictures thread

Old 08-24-2010, 01:04 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by garywalsh
I agree with Spike66. This is way to complicated and will force members not to post pictures. I already have enough passwords and usernames. I don't need anymore.
Says the guy who has 4 posts in a year.

With all the pics that get posted here, it doesn't seem to be much of a problem for most people here.
Old 09-03-2010, 03:38 PM
v8capt
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can post a picture on a thread or reply, but can't put a picture on avatar after my name. I can copy a picture , but it won't paste, Thanks.
capt Bob
Old 09-03-2010, 06:04 PM
J T
IB Staff

You appear to already have an Avatar. Did you resolve the issue?

An Avatar is a small image that appears to the left of each of your posts (under your user name). Or are you referring to a Signature? A signature, which can contain an image, would appear at the very bottom of your post.

Originally Posted by v8capt
I can post a picture on a thread or reply, but can't put a picture on avatar after my name. I can copy a picture , but it won't paste, Thanks.
capt Bob

Quick Reply: The official how to post pictures thread