Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

FireFox 14 not working with forum

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 07:54 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Default FireFox 14 not working with forum

JT, any word when the issue will be fixed? Only about 1 out of 100 clicks work. It took me 20 min to be able to post this. Please help I would really like to be able to use the forum. Thanks
Old 08-13-2012, 07:55 PM
pewter99
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,194 Likes on 704 Posts
Pilot of Beer Force 1
Tampa Regional Coordinator
CI 4-5-6-7-8 Veteran
Organizer St. Jude Fundraiser
I believe in the Beer Fairy

no issues using 14 here
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm using 14.0.1 without any issue. I've not heard any such issues.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, is this issue related to the Allstate ad that appears to be causing issues? We're working to get the ad removed since it's a source of issue.

If that's not it, I would suggest you disable all your browser addons/plugins and retest. Does the issue occur with IE? Chrome?
Old 08-13-2012, 08:03 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Another user with Firefox 14 and no problems, even with some add-ons.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:15 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by J T
I'm using 14.0.1 without any issue. I've not heard any such issues.

Like I mentioned in the other thread, is this issue related to the Allstate ad that appears to be causing issues? We're working to get the ad removed since it's a source of issue.

If that's not it, I would suggest you disable all your browser addons/plugins and retest. Does the issue occur with IE? Chrome?
I use FF 14.0.1 and have no troubles.

J T-- Are these ads tested by IB before being released to be displayed the various forums? It sounds like other members have had issues with ads either overlaying the screens or some other sort of conflict.

I know that would be a lot of work, but it could help to satisfy disgruntled members.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:22 PM
J T
IB Staff

I'm not quite involved with the ads, but some of them come from the Google network and I'm not sure that you can exactly test them all. The Allstate ad, for example, has been generating complaints across other forums besides CorvetteForum so that issue isn't confined to us. Sometimes the ads are misbehaving and the fastest/easiest way is to simply filter those specific ads from being served. This is why we also ask for the click-through so that we can identify the specific ad and filter it.
Old 08-13-2012, 09:45 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

It took me an hour to be able to get back in to make this post. I disabled all addons and no luck. I have tried 2 other computers (xp and 7) and another persons ISP, still does it. My firefox performs perfectly on all other sites. Something changed in the last week or so. The pages try to load but just don't. I have had some success in forcing them to load if I click then rapidly use the back and forth arrows once or twice. Sometimes the main page will load ok but the individual posts will not. ???
Old 08-13-2012, 09:52 PM
J T
IB Staff

Is this just a Firefox 14 issue with you as the title of your thread states? Or does it occur on IE and Chrome as well?

What does the browser's status bar show? When you say the main page will load OK but not the individual posts, do you mean the top section loads only?

Originally Posted by wbear
It took me an hour to be able to get back in to make this post. I disabled all addons and no luck. I have tried 2 other computers (xp and 7) and another persons ISP, still does it. My firefox performs perfectly on all other sites. Something changed in the last week or so. The pages try to load but just don't. I have had some success in forcing them to load if I click then rapidly use the back and forth arrows once or twice. Sometimes the main page will load ok but the individual posts will not. ???
Old 08-13-2012, 10:13 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

I only use FF, you mean there are others??
When a page loads all of it loads, ie help main page showing the available posts but clicking on a post does not load. The problem is the time it takes to load if at all.

It seems the rapid/double clicking on the back and forth arrows usually works. Is there an issue that involves the double clicking? I had to use the arrow double click to submit this reply, if I just clicked submit reply it would just sit there and spin. Remember I have tried this on 2 other computers so it can't be an individual computer problem?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:29 PM
J T
IB Staff

Using another browser, such as IE and Chrome, and reporting results can help narrow down possible issues. I understand that you said you tried it on two other computers, and another ISP, but there are a few in this thread (myself included) who aren't experiencing such an issue so that has to also be factored in as well in investigating such as issue.

The last few posts you made in this thread, are they all from the same ISP/network that is giving you problems?

Originally Posted by wbear
I only use FF, you mean there are others??
When a page loads all of it loads, ie help main page showing the available posts but clicking on a post does not load. The problem is the time it takes to load if at all.

It seems the rapid/double clicking on the back and forth arrows usually works. Is there an issue that involves the double clicking? I had to use the arrow double click to submit this reply, if I just clicked submit reply it would just sit there and spin. Remember I have tried this on 2 other computers so it can't be an individual computer problem?
Old 08-13-2012, 10:43 PM
wbear
Burning Brakes

yes same isp/network.

does not seem to do it with IE 6
Old 08-18-2012, 08:47 AM
EHS
Race Director

I'm not on the forum much anymore, but came back basically to sell my car, which sold yesterday.

I used Firefox 14.0.1 to do that, and it was a PITA, particularly trying to post to the thread as a reply.

Here's what I found:

1. Firefox (with or without safe mode) loads quickly for about the first 3-4 different pages after the cache is cleared.

2.Right now, my status bar is still scrolling, and the page has not completely loaded. Tabbed browsing? Forget it. The tab load status just spins and spins and spins -- connecting.

3. It does not do this on any other websites.

4. Other browsers?

-- Fine with IE8, except I have formatting issues on the summary home pages (between the thread page parentheses).

-- Fine with Opera -- I run a clean copy with no add-ons, but still, while the cursor works, it keeps showing an hourglass throughout the different pages.

-- Google Chrome -- same as the Opera comment.

It looks like you have problems with incomplete background loads -- other web sites don't have these issues. It's worst with Firefox.

So, gents, thanks for the help in selling my car quickly to another CF member (it helps when you price things right), and, as they say, enjoy the ride.

EHS

P.S. -- I'm getting incomplete loads of the smilies over there ---> on the right as well.

Old 08-18-2012, 04:47 PM
Sunnyvale Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 152 Likes on 122 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'19

IE 9 here. I can't even see my own avatar. Something is wrong somewhere.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:53 PM
J T
IB Staff

You may be having a different issue since you indicated, in a different thread, that you have a new machine and you're using a different browser than the subject here.

Post a screen capture of what you're seeing so that I can see.

Originally Posted by Sunnyvale Dave
IE 9 here. I can't even see my own avatar. Something is wrong somewhere.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:08 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by EHS
I'm not on the forum much anymore, but came back basically to sell my car, which sold yesterday.

I used Firefox 14.0.1 to do that, and it was a PITA, particularly trying to post to the thread as a reply.

Here's what I found:

1. Firefox (with or without safe mode) loads quickly for about the first 3-4 different pages after the cache is cleared.

2.Right now, my status bar is still scrolling, and the page has not completely loaded. Tabbed browsing? Forget it. The tab load status just spins and spins and spins -- connecting.
What does the status bar show that it's connecting to?

Originally Posted by EHS
3. It does not do this on any other websites.

4. Other browsers?

-- Fine with IE8, except I have formatting issues on the summary home pages (between the thread page parentheses).

-- Fine with Opera -- I run a clean copy with no add-ons, but still, while the cursor works, it keeps showing an hourglass throughout the different pages.

-- Google Chrome -- same as the Opera comment.

It looks like you have problems with incomplete background loads -- other web sites don't have these issues. It's worst with Firefox.

So, gents, thanks for the help in selling my car quickly to another CF member (it helps when you price things right), and, as they say, enjoy the ride.

EHS

P.S. -- I'm getting incomplete loads of the smilies over there ---> on the right as well.

Can you provide a screen capture of what the smilies look like? Also what incomplete backgrounds look like as you also stated?

I use Firefox 14 (14.0.1) and have not experienced the issues stated above. I used Firefox in safemode without plugins and the result is attached, which all the smilies can be seen and the status bar is not looping as the content was successfully downloaded.

While not stating that there is no issue on CorvetteForum's side (I'm not aware where any issue is at this moment), it should be noted that software on the local machine can also impact the behavior of the browser on the machine (such as security software), as well as any network issues. So if an issue exists on multiple browsers, just as the issue could be on the other end, it could also be with software on the local machine. It could also be some network issue, somewhere.
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-2012, 02:45 AM
EHS
Race Director

Here's my version of Firefox (I finally gave up waiting for it to load and am using Opera to post this):

And IE8 comapred to Firefox -- not the mising text in IE8 -- Multipage Thread..... etc.

IE8

FF14

And the five most common message in the FF staus bar:

And, while you're staring at those messages, what you see on the top:

And, as noted before, it only happens with Corvette Forum -- in the time it's taken me to write this -- notice the CF tab -- and the others, which I went to and they loaded and finished instantly:

The CF tab just keeps spinning the beach ball of death.

And, for good measure -- what I'm seeing in Opera right now (when I first opened up the post window, the top toolbars were also not loaded -- now they are partial, but note the smilies. Every time I do a preview of this post, some more images get loaded:

And finally, I just did another preview post, and this time, in Opera, I get a different set of smilies that didn't load (at least Opera is fast at loading the preview -- FF14 you could sit 10 minutes waiting for the preview or the post:

FWIW -- I use Kaspersky IS2012. On a FIOS 40/40 mips connection.

Again, again -- this only happens on Corvette Forum. Only.

Over and out -- EHS
Old 08-19-2012, 03:11 AM
J T
IB Staff

What you show appears to be some sort of network issue which is why you're missing a lot of the images on different browsers.

While you say it only occurs on CorvetteForum, one of your screen captures may suggest there may be more (Facebook):
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...eenShot263.jpg

If your browsers are hanging up on stuff like that, then that's not just CorvetteForum as CorvetteForum is not hosting that content. In some cases CorvetteForum directs you to where additional content is needed, and when that is the case, the connection is made between you and that party.

While CorvetteForum may be the main site you experience the issue on, it's still possible it's a 3rd party security software on your computer that is misconfigured or filtering content from CorvetteForum only.

I can check to see if perhaps your IP address is being filtered on CorvetteForum's end by mistake, but you probably should start with the IS and any other security software you have because I suspect that is where your issue is.

I've not seen other reports by other members showing what you're reporting. There would probably be a lot of complaints if the issue you're showing was being experienced by many because the forum would be difficult to use!

Originally Posted by EHS

Get notified of new replies

To FireFox 14 not working with forum

Old 08-19-2012, 07:27 AM
EHS
Race Director

Originally Posted by J T
What you show appears to be some sort of network issue which is why you're missing a lot of the images on different browsers.

While you say it only occurs on CorvetteForum, one of your screen captures may suggest there may be more (Facebook):
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/...eenShot263.jpg

If your browsers are hanging up on stuff like that, then that's not just CorvetteForum as CorvetteForum is not hosting that content. In some cases CorvetteForum directs you to where additional content is needed, and when that is the case, the connection is made between you and that party.

While CorvetteForum may be the main site you experience the issue on, it's still possible it's a 3rd party security software on your computer that is misconfigured or filtering content from CorvetteForum only.

I can check to see if perhaps your IP address is being filtered on CorvetteForum's end by mistake, but you probably should start with the IS and any other security software you have because I suspect that is where your issue is.

I've not seen other reports by other members showing what you're reporting. There would probably be a lot of complaints if the issue you're showing was being experienced by many because the forum would be difficult to use!

JT --

I'm going to make this my last post in this thread, and probably on the forum as well. It's been a wonderful 12 years .

-- The image you cite up there (the Facebook hang) is interesting in and of itself, since I don't even have a Facebook account. SO I'm being redirected through your server, at least.

-- Regarding this is only happening to me and you haven't seen it with others, the only reason I bothered to post in this thread is because there are others that are having the same lag with thier avatars, images, unable to post, etc. etc. Take a look in this thread for starters.

And, there are a coupe of other threads in here that have the issue as well.

Frankly, had it not been for posting my car for sale -- I would not have noticed, or bothered, since over the years (I see you're relatively new to the forum) there have been all kinds of periodic loading and server issues.

So, JT, you can continue to try and find issues with other people's computers, networks, etc. -- or maybe, with a little less denial, and look at your own servers, network, and software, you just may find the real cause.

I was only genuinely trying to help, and the bounce back I got from you only reinforces why I left CF two years ago in the first place.

On that note -- I'm outta here!

EHS
Old 08-19-2012, 01:49 PM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by EHS
-- Regarding this is only happening to me and you haven't seen it with others, the only reason I bothered to post in this thread is because there are others that are having the same lag with thier avatars, images, unable to post, etc. etc. Take a look in this thread for starters.

So, JT, you can continue to try and find issues with other people's computers, networks, etc. -- or maybe, with a little less denial, and look at your own servers, network, and software, you just may find the real cause.

I was only genuinely trying to help, and the bounce back I got from you only reinforces why I left CF two years ago in the first place.
My observations from this thread was there are some that stated not experiencing any issues and others who stated experiencing some sort of issue. In the latter, I tried to gather information.

Not all issues are going to be the same, even if they appear to be on the surface, and thus not all issues are going to be due to the same issue or resolved the same.

The OP of this thread stated experiencing issues only on FF14 (per the title and subsequent posts) and that IE seemed to be better. The OP said all of the page loads but trying to open a post it doesn't want to load. From what you're showing and posting, the issues appear to possibly be different as your pages aren't loading on any browser as your screen captures show you're missing a lot of the elements. While there is one member in this thread that stated not seeing their avatar, it remains to be seen if their issue is the same as yours as I've not received information from them.

Please note that I said I could check the network to see if possibly your IP is being filtered mistakenly, which would be CorvetteForum's end, but it was my opinion that what you've shown appears to possibly be 3rd party security software that may be blocking/filtering content from CorvetteForum. I understand that you've indicated the issue only occurs on CorvetteForum, but the security software you're using could only be filtering CorvetteForum just the same.

I tried to genuinely help by providing some possible answers that you can do yourself and perhaps see immediate results if the issue is local to you. Not all issues are going to be the same, despite they may appear to be on the surface, and thus not all issues will be due to CorvetteForum's end or the local end. There have been several times when I've acknowledged a technical issue was due to CorvetteForum's end. In this specific case, it was merely my opinion that what you've shown may possibly (note possibly) be something local as the results you're showing appear to be different from the typical slowness/performance issues that get reported. When members report an issue, I suspect they'd want it fixed - regardless of which end may be the cause.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:49 PM
J T
IB Staff

EHS,

You might want to check out the findings from another CorvetteForum member who is also running Kaspersky A/V (you're running IS which probably has the A/V):

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/help...tte-forum.html

The member discovered that disabling Kaspersky shows the issue (similar to what you described) as disappearing only to return when Kaspersky is enabled again.

I suggested Kaspersky be contacted as we have virtually no control over such a situation and it appears to be something within Kaspersky causing the issue.

Originally Posted by EHS
JT --

I'm going to make this my last post in this thread, and probably on the forum as well. It's been a wonderful 12 years .

-- The image you cite up there (the Facebook hang) is interesting in and of itself, since I don't even have a Facebook account. SO I'm being redirected through your server, at least.

And, there are a coupe of other threads in here that have the issue as well.

Frankly, had it not been for posting my car for sale -- I would not have noticed, or bothered, since over the years (I see you're relatively new to the forum) there have been all kinds of periodic loading and server issues.

On that note -- I'm outta here!

EHS

Quick Reply: FireFox 14 not working with forum