Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Image icon no longer works . . .

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts
Default Image icon no longer works . . .

It's been a month or more now that I have to type the [img] code in by hand because when I click the "Image" icon it doesn't do anything.

When I check down on the lower left it says that the [img] code is on.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:08 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You either have javascript disabled in your browser, you're using a plugin with your browser that is blocking or filtering javascript, or you have some other security software that is blocking javascript.

You will need to correct the issue on your computer as it is not anything CorvetteForum's side.

Originally Posted by Bruze
It's been a month or more now that I have to type the [img] code in by hand because when I click the "Image" icon it doesn't do anything.

When I check down on the lower left it says that the [img] code is on.
Old 08-19-2014, 09:54 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J T
You either have javascript disabled in your browser, you're using a plugin with your browser that is blocking or filtering javascript, or you have some other security software that is blocking javascript.

You will need to correct the issue on your computer as it is not anything CorvetteForum's side.
Okay, thanks for the reply. It works okay on other websites, but I don't have the interest (or patience) in trying to track the problem down, so I'll just have to live with it.

I hate computers, but I can't live without them.

Old 08-19-2014, 10:39 PM
J T
IB Staff

Few websites are alike despite the front-end may look the same. CorvetteForum works on major (current) browsers without modifications and that includes the WYSIWYG buttons. That it doesn't work for you is due to one of the reasons I outlined above.

Without browser specifics and what add-ons and security software you're using, it is difficult to provide assistance and it may go beyond our ability since the issue is with your system.

Edit: I should back up since you specifically said the IMG tag button. Is that the only button? If you mean this button , note that no longer simply inserts an IMG tag. Instead, it is the new method into the new (drag and drop) Attachment system. There no longer is a button that simply inserts IMG tags.

Still, clicking on the in the WYSIWYG editor should open the new drag and drop Attachment system. If it does not, then that is a different issue with your browser.

Okay, thanks for the reply. It works okay on other websites, but I don't have the interest (or patience) in trying to track the problem down, so I'll just have to live with it.

I hate computers, but I can't live without them.

Old 08-20-2014, 11:54 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J T
Few websites are alike despite the front-end may look the same. CorvetteForum works on major (current) browsers without modifications and that includes the WYSIWYG buttons. That it doesn't work for you is due to one of the reasons I outlined above.

Without browser specifics and what add-ons and security software you're using, it is difficult to provide assistance and it may go beyond our ability since the issue is with your system.

Edit: I should back up since you specifically said the IMG tag button. Is that the only button? If you mean this button , note that no longer simply inserts an IMG tag. Instead, it is the new method into the new (drag and drop) Attachment system. There no longer is a button that simply inserts IMG tags.

Still, clicking on the in the WYSIWYG editor should open the new drag and drop Attachment system. If it does not, then that is a different issue with your browser.
Hmm, interesting. Yes, that is the icon. The other icons (hyperlink, quote, etc.) DO work. But the image icon does nothing when I click it.

The drag and drop you speak of I think I've run into on other sites; you can just copy an image from your hard drive and paste it into the post without hosting it somewhere first . . . ? I just tried that here and it didn't work.

Heh, another twist: I just happened to click the image icon in YOUR post and I got this:

Is that the attachment system you mentioned? If I click that icon in my own post it does nothing.

I don't know if this is related or not, but in the past week or so I've noticed that SOME threads that have new posts in them are not shown in bold like they used to be.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:30 AM
J T
IB Staff

The image that I posted of the IMG icon was simply a picture of it. It was not linked to behave the way it does in the WYSIWYG toolbar editor.

Again, without any information about your system and what you're using, I can only suspect that you're using an OS or browser that is not supported (all major ones are supported) and/or security software or addons that change or alter the functionality of the website.

The bold title issue is unrelated. That is simply a function based on your last activity set in your account and any cookies in your browser. The forums are setup so that after 30 minutes of inactivity the account is determined to be inactive and all posts made prior will automatically be marked as read - even if you didn't actually read them. This behavior is default for the software and widely used on other websites. CorvetteForum has been this way for the past several years. There is no way to stop this beyond being active every 29 minutes and 59 seconds to prevent the 30 minute timer from expiring and setting all prior posts as read.

Hmm, interesting. Yes, that is the icon. The other icons (hyperlink, quote, etc.) DO work. But the image icon does nothing when I click it.

The drag and drop you speak of I think I've run into on other sites; you can just copy an image from your hard drive and paste it into the post without hosting it somewhere first . . . ? I just tried that here and it didn't work.

Heh, another twist: I just happened to click the image icon in YOUR post and I got this:

Is that the attachment system you mentioned? If I click that icon in my own post it does nothing.

I don't know if this is related or not, but in the past week or so I've noticed that SOME threads that have new posts in them are not shown in bold like they used to be.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:59 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J T
The image that I posted of the IMG icon was simply a picture of it. It was not linked to behave the way it does in the WYSIWYG toolbar editor.
Okay.

Again, without any information about your system and what you're using, I can only suspect that you're using an OS or browser that is not supported (all major ones are supported) and/or security software or addons that change or alter the functionality of the website.
On a W7 laptop I'm running the latest Firefox (31.0); desktop is also W7 with an older version of FF. Oddly enough the icon problem is on both computers.

Also: I have Google Chrome but rarely use it. I just tried the image icon and it doesn't work there either.

The problem appeared without me making any changes or adding programs, FF extensions, etc.

The bold title issue is unrelated. That is simply a function based on your last activity set in your account and any cookies in your browser. The forums are setup so that after 30 minutes of inactivity the account is determined to be inactive and all posts made prior will automatically be marked as read - even if you didn't actually read them. This behavior is default for the software and widely used on other websites. CorvetteForum has been this way for the past several years. There is no way to stop this beyond being active every 29 minutes and 59 seconds to prevent the 30 minute timer from expiring and setting all prior posts as read.
FWIW: I deleted the cookies on both PCs to see if anything would change, but it didn't.

Oh well, none of this is a big deal, I'll just live with it. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:32 PM
J T
IB Staff

On a W7 laptop I'm running the latest Firefox (31.0); desktop is also W7 with an older version of FF. Oddly enough the icon problem is on both computers.

Also: I have Google Chrome but rarely use it. I just tried the image icon and it doesn't work there either.
Then I would start to suspect a network issue on your end that may be blocking the function or possibly you have security software or plugins installed that is blocking the function. Firefox and Chrome are very popular browsers, ones that I use myself, and the function works correctly for me and I've seen no measurable (or really any) reports of the feature not working. It should work just fine using default or typical settings. Once any 3rd party software is used, that answer changes and we can't effectively support software that is designed to alter the function or appearance of the website. I don't know if that's what you have going, but something must be different on your end to result in that issue.

FWIW: I deleted the cookies on both PCs to see if anything would change, but it didn't.
Not sure if there was a misunderstanding, but that result is expected. The bold title is a function based on your last activity on your account and supplemented by browser cookies. If there is content you have not read but it has no bold title, then that is most likely because the content was automatically marked as read or possibly there was moderator action performed on the thread.

For example, if you stop clicking internal links at 5:30PM and revisit at 6:15PM, all content prior to 5:30PM will be marked as read without bold titles - regardless if you read the content or not. That is how most vBulletin forums are setup and how CorvetteForum has functioned for the past few years. Only way around this is if you are browsing while not logged in as then it works differently.

Get notified of new replies

To Image icon no longer works . . .

Quick Reply: Image icon no longer works . . .