Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Too much stuf running on this site...

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2015, 10:31 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Received 708 Likes on 391 Posts

Default Too much stuf running on this site...

This site seems to be so graphic-intense with all the ads running on the left and right panels all the time.

Is there some setting available to shut these things off?

Truly a PITA.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:35 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by vrybad
This site seems to be so graphic-intense with all the ads running on the left and right panels all the time.

Is there some setting available to shut these things off?

Truly a PITA.
Add-on AdblockerPlus.

But the ads have to pay for forum members who don't want to pay to be forum supporting members.
Old 01-28-2015, 11:51 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Add-on AdblockerPlus.

But the ads have to pay for forum members who don't want to pay to be forum supporting members.
I get your point.

Biggest problem is not the banner ads but the heavy graphics within some of the ads that just keep running and running.
One after another.

I don't mind ads, necessarily, just that they require so much cpu.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by vrybad; 01-28-2015 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-28-2015, 12:25 PM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The site ran terrific when all the crap on the right side was gone. It's been running like crap since it was added back on. This stuff takes forever to load on every page change. Sometimes can't even scroll down the page without huge delays. Don't even think about blaming it on my computer or connection because it's not either of those. Love the site but it's becoming very aggravating. I hope you get it fixed soon.

P.S.-I just noticed the problem is only when I am not logged in. It must be the video type adds that are causing the problem

Last edited by 76Rat; 01-28-2015 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Added a P.S.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:06 PM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 76Rat
The site ran terrific when all the crap on the right side was gone. It's been running like crap since it was added back on. This stuff takes forever to load on every page change. Sometimes can't even scroll down the page without huge delays. Don't even think about blaming it on my computer or connection because it's not either of those. Love the site but it's becoming very aggravating. I hope you get it fixed soon.

P.S.-I just noticed the problem is only when I am not logged in. It must be the video type adds that are causing the problem
I agree, I found the same thing after logging in, however, sometimes I only want to lurk/quick-check a couple of threads.

No problem, just have to log in each time, I guess.
Old 01-28-2015, 06:26 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by vrybad
I agree, I found the same thing after logging in, however, sometimes I only want to lurk/quick-check a couple of threads.

No problem, just have to log in each time, I guess.
Don't log out. Just close your browser. Put a shortcut on your desktop and double click the icon when you're ready to access the forum.
Old 01-28-2015, 07:46 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Guests / Not Logged in will see more ads than those logged in. This has been the case for some time and is similar to other websites like CorvetteForum.

At one time there was a good reason not to browse CorvetteForum while logged in if you used the Read/Unread tracking and only wanted to do some skimming as the Read/Unread tracking would be reset and you would lose track of what you really did read and didn't read. Today, those indicators won't reset unless you actually read all the content in a thread or it has been ~7 days old.

Finally, we can't really support the use of add-ons because they are designed to alter the functionality of a website and can break functionality that isn't desired to be broken.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:23 AM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

The videos are killing performance and causing all types of problems. It is not a good thing when new people to the corvette forums start to browse the site and they get constant browser errors, slow downs and lock ups. If I wasn't already a member I would move on to another site.

I am not saying this to give you a hard time but I think this could be driving more people away than bringing them in.
Old 01-31-2015, 10:51 AM
vrybad
Le Mans Master

JT,

Good info.
I decided just to log in each time.
I generally don't stay logged in at all times but no big deal.

I do agree with 76Rat that those ads could be a real bother for those browsing the site but I understand that is how IB makes money.

Get notified of new replies

To Too much stuf running on this site...

Quick Reply: Too much stuf running on this site...