Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Archiving PMs

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2015, 11:31 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Received 585 Likes on 265 Posts

Default Archiving PMs

I am constantly at or near the limit of my PMs and I have already had to delete some I would have liked to have kept. How can I save them to my laptop or otherwise transfer them from the forum to my own email or drive?
Old 05-30-2015, 02:29 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At the bottom of the Private Message section is a "Download all Private Messages as:
XML | CSV | Text"

Click on the XML, CSV or Text to select that format.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J T
At the bottom of the Private Message section is a "Download all Private Messages as:
XML | CSV | Text"

Click on the XML, CSV or Text to select that format.

Have you actually done this? I got three messages telling me the photo software is no longer supported or something to that effect.
Old 05-30-2015, 03:30 PM
J T
IB Staff

Yes, I have actually done this. It is a native feature to the software. And trying it again, just now, works normally as this screen capture shows. You get a dialog prompt to save the file.

Photo software has nothing to do with this feature.

In order to assist, we need to know the exact error and the exact issue.

Originally Posted by Aerovette
Have you actually done this? I got three messages telling me the photo software is no longer supported or something to that effect.
Attached Images  
Old 05-30-2015, 03:41 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

On my computer it tries to create a php file extension with no option to change. php is PhotoParade.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:11 PM
J T
IB Staff

When you click on any of the 3 links (XML, CSV, TEXT)? Or when you try to open after saving from one of those formats?

Clicking on the XML will save the file as an XML document, clicking on the CSV will save the file as a CSV format and TEXT will save as a Text.

If it happens when trying to open after saving, which one are you picking?

Regarding the PHP is PhotoParade, that's an association issue with your computer. Apparently, you either installed PhotoParade or it came with your computer and it's set to handle on php files. That is not part of the forums. That is not something we have control over on the forums when it's at the user-end level. Why that matters when trying to save a file as XML, CSV or TEXT is beyond me.

Again, we need more specifics if you want some assistance. For example, clicking on the TEXT link and either saving or opening it should not invoke a PHP extension. Something would appear to be messed up on your machine.

On my computer it tries to create a php file extension with no option to change. php is PhotoParade.
Old 05-30-2015, 05:47 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J T
When you click on any of the 3 links (XML, CSV, TEXT)? Or when you try to open after saving from one of those formats?

Clicking on the XML will save the file as an XML document, clicking on the CSV will save the file as a CSV format and TEXT will save as a Text.

If it happens when trying to open after saving, which one are you picking?

Regarding the PHP is PhotoParade, that's an association issue with your computer. Apparently, you either installed PhotoParade or it came with your computer and it's set to handle on php files. That is not part of the forums. That is not something we have control over on the forums when it's at the user-end level. Why that matters when trying to save a file as XML, CSV or TEXT is beyond me.

Again, we need more specifics if you want some assistance. For example, clicking on the TEXT link and either saving or opening it should not invoke a PHP extension. Something would appear to be messed up on your machine.

Regardless of which of the three I choose, I get a notification that a php file is created and do I want to open or save it.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:01 PM
J T
IB Staff

What browser are you using and what security software are you using?

Also post a screen capture of the results after clicking on the one of the download links.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:17 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J T
What browser are you using and what security software are you using?

Also post a screen capture of the results after clicking on the one of the download links.

Internet Explorer; Windows Defender
Attached Images  
Old 05-31-2015, 07:03 PM
Aerovette
Team Owner

I went to a completely different computer and got the same results. The default is to a .php extension and I have no software loaded that can read/write/or otherwise process a php folder. I do not have photoparade installed on any pc in my home.

I did manage to somehow get something to go to notepad but it is a jumbled mess of characters and only covers a few of the PMs.
Old 05-31-2015, 08:33 PM
J T
IB Staff

It should not be a PHP file. While it's possible there's an issue with the server cluster, the fact that I'm unable to duplicate the issue does not support it. I have tried numerous times, when documenting the process for you, and every time the results were as expected.

I went to a completely different computer and got the same results. The default is to a .php extension and I have no software loaded that can read/write/or otherwise process a php folder. I do not have photoparade installed on any pc in my home.

I did manage to somehow get something to go to notepad but it is a jumbled mess of characters and only covers a few of the PMs.

Get notified of new replies

To Archiving PMs

Quick Reply: Archiving PMs