Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Annoying Forum add locking up my PC.

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 10:26 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Annoying Forum add locking up my PC.

When I come to the forum web page, if I don't log in fast enough this annoying add starts to run of a some guy working on a pottery wheel. When that launches, my lap top slows down and often times just locks up and I need to relaunch my browser. Does anyone else have this problem?
Old 07-27-2015, 10:34 AM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

try the help page
Old 07-27-2015, 11:24 AM
71 Green 454
Le Mans Master

Received 1,186 Likes on 650 Posts

Have you tried installing adblock plus?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:25 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

stay off ASIAN **** sites!!!!
Old 07-27-2015, 11:46 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Chuck A
Why?
Old 07-27-2015, 11:57 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
I will try. It only happens to me on this site. Once I log in all the add crap goes away. I think this site allows that junk to pop up unless you are logged in. Just trying to reply, it locked up and I had to close firefox through the task manager it got so hosed.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:58 AM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Chuck A
They work just fine...
Old 07-27-2015, 12:05 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 71 Green 454
adblock worked! Thanks. Now back to the Asian ****!
Old 07-27-2015, 02:58 PM
76Rat
Racer

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by KJL
When I come to the forum web page, if I don't log in fast enough this annoying add starts to run of a some guy working on a pottery wheel. When that launches, my lap top slows down and often times just locks up and I need to relaunch my browser. Does anyone else have this problem?
I think the admin of this site thinks its funny. What they don't realize is people leave and don't come back because of this.
Old 07-27-2015, 03:14 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by 76Rat
I think the admin of this site thinks its funny. What they don't realize is people leave and don't come back because of this.
Is there anything they can do to stop it? I don't mind adds from supporting vendors but the random pop up crap could scare off potential members before they join and realize it stops after one logs in as a member. To me it dumbs down the site. I am assuming that there is something that can be done by the site administrator to block it.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:29 PM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by KJL
They work just fine...
Old 07-27-2015, 05:01 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

1) CorvetteForum does not use pop-up ads. If there is a true pop-up ad, it's either a rogue ad or the member's computer is infected. Just because it only happens on one site and not another does not make it conclusive for being a CorvetteForum issue.

2) If it's a rogue ad, we can block them. But we need more information. Like a screen capture of the ad and a click-through. Otherwise, it's pretty difficult to locate the ad.

Originally Posted by KJL
Is there anything they can do to stop it? I don't mind adds from supporting vendors but the random pop up crap could scare off potential members before they join and realize it stops after one logs in as a member. To me it dumbs down the site. I am assuming that there is something that can be done by the site administrator to block it.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:33 PM
KJL
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by J T
1) CorvetteForum does not use pop-up ads. If there is a true pop-up ad, it's either a rogue ad or the member's computer is infected. Just because it only happens on one site and not another does not make it conclusive for being a CorvetteForum issue.

2) If it's a rogue ad, we can block them. But we need more information. Like a screen capture of the ad and a click-through. Otherwise, it's pretty difficult to locate the ad.
I will disable my add blocker and send you a screen capture. This ad must die!
Old 07-31-2015, 04:08 PM
wrmiles
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 95 Posts

I had a similar problem today and saw the pottery video ad.

Loading and using the website was hung up by slow/non-loading of something from lax1.ib.adnx.com.

Problem went away after a bout an hour.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:07 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

Originally Posted by wrmiles
I had a similar problem today and saw the pottery video ad.

Loading and using the website was hung up by slow/non-loading of something from lax1.ib.adnx.com.

Problem went away after a bout an hour.
Same for me. I got so annoyed, I supposedly logged off around 2:30 PM, today, came back at 5:30, only to find I was still logged in, and the site "fumbling". I cleared all of my history, cookies, etc, and tried again. At least I got this far.....

EDIT!!!

Now I'M getting "hiccups", followed by a "pop-up" for a cruise line!!!

Last edited by leadfoot4; 07-31-2015 at 06:28 PM.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:18 PM
J T
IB Staff

As you know and I've noted before, we need to see a screen capture and a click-through link if we're to be able to look into the issue. We can't efficiently resolve such issues without some key information.

Some ads are served specifically to you based on factors. It's why I would see ads for local GM dealerships. That means a rogue ad for some off the wall site could be served to you based on browser or IP address history or IP address geo location.

CorvetteForum does not use true "pop-up" ads. If you're seeing one, it's either a rogue ad through the network or your machine is infected.

Although the common followup reply to that is that it only happens on CorvetteForum, saving the technical points, that actually is not conclusive to say the issue is from CorvetteForum.

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Same for me. I got so annoyed, I supposedly logged off around 2:30 PM, today, came back at 5:30, only to find I was still logged in, and the site "fumbling". I cleared all of my history, cookies, etc, and tried again. At least I got this far.....

EDIT!!!

Now I'M getting "hiccups", followed by a "pop-up" for a cruise line!!!
Old 08-01-2015, 07:22 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

"JT", we all appreciate your efforts to keep the Forum running smoothly. However, all of us here, have varying levels of computer skills, ranging from the amazing, to barely able to use the keyboard. My skills, are "moderate", at best.

Therefore, when you request a "screenshot", some of us, myself included, may not understand how to do that. Secondly, in the particular case I was mentioning yesterday, I couldn't do much of anything, as the Forum was randomly "locking up", and the ONLY way for me to be able to do leave the Forum, was to shut down the PC by doing a restart. The "log out" command would not work, the "back" arrow had no effect, the page I was on would simply "freeze". The only way I could get off the Forum page, was to do a "restart".

And I'm not trying to assign blame, BUT as others have mentioned, after leaving the CF site, everything was OK with whatever else I attempted to do. The site was accessible in a normal fashion for me, yesterday morning, but in the late afternoon/early evening, things were messed up. Right now, it seems to be back to normal again.... I don't know how else to describe it, but as I already said, we DO appreciate your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Annoying Forum add locking up my PC.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:31 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Just a quick update.....

I wanted to look through a couple of topics, really quickly, a few minutes ago, so I wasn't going to bother to log it. I was "locked up" all over the place. Furthermore, I got the IE generated error message box that read "corvetteforum.com not responding", 3-4 times.

I logged on, however, and have been able, so far, to blast through a couple of topics.

I'm not trying to criticize, simply provide data to help determine what is happening.....
Old 08-01-2015, 06:21 PM
J T
IB Staff

"leadfoot4" we will look further into the issue. I can confirm there is some occurrences of IE locking up.

Anyone who is willing, I would like to confirm if you could delete your IE's history, cache and cookies and then come straight to CorvetteForum and note if the issue is present right away or not.
Old 08-02-2015, 08:59 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

"JT", I don't know if this tidbit will be helpful to you, but my laptop's current setting are set so that my cookies and browsing history are deleted every time I log off.

One more thing....So far, today, I've been logged in to CF for about 10 minutes, going through "my recent posts", without any issues.

Last edited by leadfoot4; 08-02-2015 at 09:02 AM.

Quick Reply: Annoying Forum add locking up my PC.