Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Intermittent computer issue on this forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 05:25 PM
PartTimeGenius
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Intermittent computer issue on this forum

I have a desktop that has proven to be very reliable since I bought it. Because of all the harmful garbage on the internet, I installed a firewall, watch which sites I surf, and scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Avast Antivirus on a regular basis. Despite these measures, every once in a while I encounter a few things on this forum that have me concerned.

Issue A: When I'm reading a multi-page thread and I go to the next page and find that all the quote boxes are blank.

Issue B: When I'm reading a multi-page thread and I go to the next page and find that the quote boxes have nothing but randomly scattered letters in them.

I've found that the problem occasionally goes away when I back out of the forum and come back to it, but I'm still curious why this happens and why only on this board.

TIA for all helpful replies
Old 10-09-2015, 05:36 PM
jmc12
Team Owner

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Old 10-09-2015, 05:46 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

System is just a little slow right now for me, which is unusual.

Otherwise, it's you and/or your system.

I get on here 4 or 5 times a day, spread out from about 8 AM to midnight, EVERY DAY. I do use Firefox with a couple of add-ons. No problems.

What you really need to do is to post about this problem in the HELP forum. That's what it's there for, and JT is very good at helping folks with problems. This forum has about 200,000+ members and if it was the forum, more people would be posting about it.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Trapper Sean
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tangent: Are firewalls of any further value beyond the Windows firewall nowadays?
Old 10-09-2015, 06:17 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Received 272 Likes on 163 Posts

Did you check the autoexec.bat?
Old 10-09-2015, 06:35 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

No help here but my complaint usually is slow downloading but this is with the IPad, the main puter does just fine.

Using my outdated 5 IPhone is really tedious for this site.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:39 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Originally Posted by Berto
Tangent: Are firewalls of any further value beyond the Windows firewall nowadays?
Yes, at the hardware level (router/cable modem).
Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 PM
CurtP
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
Yes, at the hardware level (router/cable modem).
Router/cablemodem ≠ firewall. Home routers are nothing more than a NAT/PAT device and do not provide any sort of SPI/DPI functionality.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:20 PM
C5 Hardtop
Race Director

Originally Posted by CurtP
Router/cablemodem ≠ firewall. Home routers are nothing more than a NAT/PAT device and do not provide any sort of SPI/DPI functionality.
I stand corrected. But the notion that additional firewall protection besides the Windows in-box firewall should be installed external to the computer and on a network device is still relevant.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

What browser are you using?
Old 10-09-2015, 09:40 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PartTimeGenius
I have a desktop that has proven to be very reliable since I bought it. Because of all the harmful garbage on the internet, I installed a firewall, watch which sites I surf, and scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Avast Antivirus on a regular basis. Despite these measures, every once in a while I encounter a few things on this forum that have me concerned.

Issue A: When I'm reading a multi-page thread and I go to the next page and find that all the quote boxes are blank.

Issue B: When I'm reading a multi-page thread and I go to the next page and find that the quote boxes have nothing but randomly scattered letters in them.

I've found that the problem occasionally goes away when I back out of the forum and come back to it, but I'm still curious why this happens and why only on this board.

TIA for all helpful replies
OS version?
Browser and version?

Sounds more like a browswer issue than anything else.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:06 PM
CurtP
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by C5 Hardtop
I stand corrected. But the notion that additional firewall protection besides the Windows in-box firewall should be installed external to the computer and on a network device is still relevant.
Absolutely. I just want people to be aware that their $69 device isn't providing firewall functionality. Unfortunately, there isn't an inexpensive firewall appliance for the masses. The one I'm running wasn't cheap and has a recurring annual subscription
Old 10-10-2015, 05:08 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are you using for a browser and what plugins do you have?

Although adding security software on top, generally, provides protection it doesn't always come without a cost - either in performance issues or features broken.

but I'm still curious why this happens and why only on this board.
This is where I want to say "if I got a dime for everytime". And many of those times it's not just CorvetteForum or caused by CorvetteForum. No two websites are alike, even two vBulletin based forums aren't always alike, and with the amount of websites online, you're only visiting a tiny fraction of them.

I've not read any such issue as you described happening to another CorvetteForum member.

Get notified of new replies

To Intermittent computer issue on this forum

Quick Reply: Intermittent computer issue on this forum