Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

My PM's are locked?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016, 07:19 PM
wingrunr21
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J T
As it was mentioned before, Administration took some steps to help prevent or minimize the amount of spam being sent through PMs. We can't provide exact details as that would be counter-productive. "Established" CorvetteForum members should have PM access - especially those who have been active on CorvetteForum when the changes were made. Those that haven't been active up to the point of the change are seeing and reporting the issue but it will, automatically, correct itself when the account is logged in and then some time passes (usually an hour) for the script to run. This isn't something gone wrong or broken, but is the way the system operates given the changes made.
Not to be rude but I think something didn't go quite the way you describe. I only just joined and had posted a few times prior to the change being made. I was in-conversation with coSPEED2 when my Inbox suddenly said "0 allowed". I've logged in several times since and also posted a few times. I still don't have PM access. I'm just thinking there are a handful of accounts that this seems to have happened to and it all seemed to have occurred on 3/29. It's fine to not give out specifics but...it is not auto-correcting itself.
Old 04-06-2016, 07:57 PM
wingrunr21
Cruising

Well right after I posted that everything got fixed so I guess something triggered it.
Old 04-06-2016, 08:03 PM
25thToi
Always wrenching
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by J T
Administration took some steps to help prevent or minimize the amount of spam being sent through PMs. We can't provide exact details as that would be counter-productive. "Established" CorvetteForum members should have PM access - especially those who have been active on CorvetteForum when the changes were made. Those that haven't been active up to the point of the change are seeing and reporting the issue but it will, automatically, correct itself when the account is logged in and then some time passes (usually an hour) for the script to process that account. Once the account is processed and the PM access is restored, the account will be normal and have normal PM access as prior to these changes. This isn't something gone wrong or broken, but is the way the system operates given the changes made.

You're probably trying to PM a member that hasn't logged in for some time. That or they have logged in and decided to disable PMs for whatever reason. I can't provide any specifics on your issue since you blanked out the member's account.
Thanks for the explanation. It's clear to me now I think what confused me was a response above "The PM system, to minimize abuse (spam), has some restrictions for new members and those who don't participate frequently on CorvetteForum." So I thought that meant for those of us who log in minimally, we now had restricted access and perhaps lost the ability to PM.

Anyhow, I've e-mailed the CF member whose account I blanked and told him to go log in and that it should correct itself. I shared your reply with him and the world is whole once more!

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2016, 02:18 PM
Bando
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Unable to access PMs

I too am I able to access PMs. When I first registered, I could. Now, I can't.
Old 04-17-2016, 03:04 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You joined just a few days ago (April 13) which is (weeks) after CorvetteForum made the changes to restrict the PM usage to newly Registered members. Additionally, your account shows 0 storage space for PMs. So that confirms you did not have PM access.

Only "established" CorvetteForum members have PM access. We can't define what is "established" as that defeats the purpose of protecting members from PM abuse from newly registered members trying to spam CorvetteForum members. But the restriction is reasonable so that it should be easily met by members who use CorvetteForum for it's intended purpose.

Originally Posted by Bando
I too am I able to access PMs. When I first registered, I could. Now, I can't.
Old 04-23-2016, 04:21 PM
VIRvette
6th Gear

Originally Posted by J T
Administration took some steps to help prevent or minimize the amount of spam being sent through PMs. We can't provide exact details as that would be counter-productive. "Established" CorvetteForum members should have PM access - especially those who have been active on CorvetteForum when the changes were made. Those that haven't been active up to the point of the change are seeing and reporting the issue but it will, automatically, correct itself when the account is logged in and then some time passes (usually an hour) for the script to process that account. Once the account is processed and the PM access is restored, the account will be normal and have normal PM access as prior to these changes. This isn't something gone wrong or broken, but is the way the system operates given the changes made.

You're probably trying to PM a member that hasn't logged in for some time. That or they have logged in and decided to disable PMs for whatever reason. I can't provide any specifics on your issue since you blanked out the member's account.
Any way you can unlock pm'ing for me as well?
Old 04-23-2016, 04:41 PM
J T
IB Staff

Sorry, but I don't think we can be manually fixing accounts, upon requests, that have not met the very reasonable requirements. It's not just from a resource stand point.

The restriction is reasonable so it should be easily met by members who use CorvetteForum for its intended purpose.

We only really fixed accounts that should have had access but didn't because of technical reasons. We have not given members access that otherwise haven't met the reasonable restrictions.

Originally Posted by VIRvette
Any way you can unlock pm'ing for me as well?
Old 04-26-2016, 01:50 PM
gonidaec7
1st Gear

What's the fix for this?
Old 05-02-2016, 05:08 AM
Gapband
8th Gear

ok I was wondering what was going on I thought I had not registered right, new to the forum
Old 05-11-2016, 01:38 PM
--X--
Instructor

My PMs are locked as well. I don't visit often, but I'm trying to PM another member. Please unlock, or I'll just wait for the cronjob to kick off.

Last edited by --X--; 05-11-2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:37 AM
SBence
1st Gear

Is there a way for me to get my PMs unlocked as well, or is there a probationary period that I need to get through.
Old 05-18-2016, 08:42 AM
J T
IB Staff

Originally Posted by SBence
Is there a way for me to get my PMs unlocked as well, or is there a probationary period that I need to get through.
Please make sure to read through the thread as it covers this:

Originally Posted by J T
Only "established" CorvetteForum members have PM access. We can't define what is "established" as that defeats the purpose of protecting members from PM abuse from newly registered members trying to spam CorvetteForum members. But the restriction is reasonable so that it should be easily met by members who use CorvetteForum for it's intended purpose.
Originally Posted by J T
Sorry, but I don't think we can be manually fixing accounts, upon requests, that have not met the very reasonable requirements. It's not just from a resource stand point.

The restriction is reasonable so it should be easily met by members who use CorvetteForum for its intended purpose.

We only really fixed accounts that should have had access but didn't because of technical reasons. We have not given members access that otherwise haven't met the reasonable restrictions.
Old 05-19-2016, 03:28 PM
barum
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Please, unlock my PM's to contact a forum vendor.

I've posted and sent PM's in the past but maybe not enough.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:50 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Hi,

I am having an issue with my PM's where I cannot reply to PM's sent to me.

I am a regular on the forums and post regularly.

I have a couple of items in the C6 FS section and cannot respond to inquiries to my ads.

This is the message I see when I go into my PM's:
"Inbox contains 125 messages.
You have 231 messages stored, of a total 2,000 allowed. (Empty Folder)"

Regards
Old 05-25-2016, 07:48 PM
J T
IB Staff

In order to assist with your issue, we need to know the exact error message. What you posted (stored capacity) isn't the error message as it's standard to show PM stats.

I see no issue with your account. So further information is required.

Originally Posted by Is2scooby
Hi,

I am having an issue with my PM's where I cannot reply to PM's sent to me.

I am a regular on the forums and post regularly.

I have a couple of items in the C6 FS section and cannot respond to inquiries to my ads.

This is the message I see when I go into my PM's:
"Inbox contains 125 messages.
You have 231 messages stored, of a total 2,000 allowed. (Empty Folder)"

Regards
Old 05-25-2016, 08:36 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Originally Posted by J T
In order to assist with your issue, we need to know the exact error message. What you posted (stored capacity) isn't the error message as it's standard to show PM stats.

I see no issue with your account. So further information is required.
Hi JT,

Sorry about that. Silly of me.

When I try to reply to a PM, or create a new PM I get the error message:
"The www.corvetteforum.com page isn’t working

www.corvetteforum.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500"

This has been consistent across 3 different computers using Chrome or IE on one and Chrome/Firefox and Safari on the other 2 computers.

This just started happening today.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old 05-25-2016, 08:39 PM
J T
IB Staff

You might try clearing your browser's cache. We've had some system-wide issues off/on today that aren't limited to PMs. So if it's just happening from time to time with some success, then you might need to wait it out.

Hi JT,

Sorry about that. Silly of me.

When I try to reply to a PM, or create a new PM I get the error message:
"The www.corvetteforum.com page isn’t working

www.corvetteforum.com is currently unable to handle this request.
HTTP ERROR 500"

This has been consistent across 3 different computers using Chrome or IE on one and Chrome/Firefox and Safari on the other 2 computers.

This just started happening today.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Get notified of new replies

To My PM's are locked?

Old 05-25-2016, 08:55 PM
Is2scooby
Racer

Hi JT, I just cleared cache in Chrome on 2 different computers and still experiencing the HTTP Error 500.

I also experienced something weird when I tried to submit this reply the first time - it told me "This forum requires that you wait 10 seconds between posts. Please try again in 10 seconds." but this was the first time I tried to post. Very weird.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:58 PM
J T
IB Staff

It's because you're double-posting. You have two of those in this thread, which you deleted. That is part of the system-wide issue we're having where submitting form data (either posting or replying to PMs) sometimes results in a blank page but the data might still get posted/sent.

Hi JT, I just cleared cache in Chrome on 2 different computers and still experiencing the HTTP Error 500.

I also experienced something weird when I tried to submit this reply the first time - it told me "This forum requires that you wait 10 seconds between posts. Please try again in 10 seconds." but this was the first time I tried to post. Very weird.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:09 PM
fwrogg
Pro

I also cannot reply to private messages and get an HTTP 500 error. can you help resolve that?

Quick Reply: My PM's are locked?