Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Horrible scrolling ads when logged in

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2016, 02:54 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Received 1,343 Likes on 1,094 Posts

We've been hacked!!!!

The "black Chevy Suburbans" are on the way.................

Old 04-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Been getting these too this afternoon, not this morning though.

Looks like CF has been hacked. It's bogging everything down.

Here is the post above me:

Old 04-12-2016, 03:17 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can you clear your browser's cache and cookies and then log back in? Logging out doesn't do the same level of cleaning the browser's cookies.

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
NOW, it's stepped up to the last post in EVERY thread I scroll through.....
Old 04-12-2016, 03:22 PM
J T
IB Staff

No, CorvetteForum has not been hacked. I think claiming CF has been hacked is similar to someone making defamation statements about another.

We are looking into the issue. It's most likely an errant setting.

Originally Posted by Bruze

Looks like CF has been hacked.
Old 04-12-2016, 03:43 PM
Bruze
Team Owner

Received 1,136 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by J T
No, CorvetteForum has not been hacked. I think claiming CF has been hacked is similar to someone making defamation statements about another.

We are looking into the issue. It's most likely an errant setting.
LOL, to say that a website has been hacked is not a criticism of the website.

That's like criticizing someone whose house got broken into and robbed.

The criticism is directed at the hackers/crooks.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:05 PM
J T
IB Staff

Actually, yes it can be. It can imply the site's security or resources (servers, software, accounts, team) was lax.

Besides, claiming CF was hacked creates false panic to members who are concerned about their account, computers used to access CF and/or concerns about their email address being "leaked".

It's not an accurate claim.

But let's stick to the topic.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Bruze
LOL, to say that a website has been hacked is not a criticism of the website.

That's like criticizing someone whose house got broken into and robbed.

The criticism is directed at the hackers/crooks.
Old 04-12-2016, 06:12 PM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J T
Actually, yes it can be. It can imply the site's security or resources (servers, software, accounts, team) was lax.

Besides, claiming CF was hacked creates false panic to members who are concerned about their account, computers used to access CF and/or concerns about their email address being "leaked".

It's not an accurate claim.

But let's stick to the topic.

Thanks.
Good God, "JT", I certainly wasn't implying anything at THAT level!!!
Old 04-12-2016, 06:16 PM
Nsomniac
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

JT, I have not received scrolling ads for several days on the mobile site, just wanted to give you feedback in case a resolution was reached.

Thank you,

JM
Old 04-12-2016, 09:34 PM
J T
IB Staff

"leadfoot4" while I get that your enlarged font and bold mark-up stating CorvetteForum was hacked, especially with the black Suburban comments, was probably more of a joke than other posts making the claim, understand that this is the Help section - where some people come for help with the website and some are more proficient with computers and "tech" than others. The issue was not a hack, we don't need members being concerned about their account or their computers, and it was appropriate for me to address that.

As I said previously, this was likely due to an errant setting. And we believe it has been found.

I'll ask a second time that we keep on track to the original subject (we do want the root issue fixed, right?), and would like to see an update from you and any others who had this issue to see if it has been resolved.

Good God, "JT", I certainly wasn't implying anything at THAT level!!!
Old 04-13-2016, 08:08 AM
leadfoot4
Team Owner

Originally Posted by J T
"leadfoot4" while I get that your enlarged font and bold mark-up stating CorvetteForum was hacked, especially with the black Suburban comments, was probably more of a joke than other posts making the claim, understand that this is the Help section - where some people come for help with the website and some are more proficient with computers and "tech" than others. The issue was not a hack, we don't need members being concerned about their account or their computers, and it was appropriate for me to address that.

As I said previously, this was likely due to an errant setting. And we believe it has been found.

I'll ask a second time that we keep on track to the original subject (we do want the root issue fixed, right?), and would like to see an update from you and any others who had this issue to see if it has been resolved.

Yes, I was attempting to interject a shred of humor, into an otherwise frustrating situation. On topic, so far, I haven't seen any of the pop-ups today............

Old 04-13-2016, 11:30 AM
6spdC6
Team Owner

Location: Northern NYs Adirondack Mountains,http://www.visitsacandaga.com.
Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Yes, I was attempting to interject a shred of humor, into an otherwise frustrating situation. On topic, so far, I haven't seen any of the pop-ups today............

Me either- THANKS JT. Been on her about a hour and looked at a lot of threads!
Old 04-16-2016, 11:59 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

My Situation is much worse. I get an advertisment that takes me off of corvette forum and locks my internet up on my phone. Have to close the page and restart the Internet. Done all the clearing of cache and data to no avail.
Attached Images   
Old 04-16-2016, 01:24 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

And yes its only on corvette forum
Old 04-16-2016, 02:53 PM
J T
IB Staff

I haven't seen anyone reporting that issue - where you're being redirected to another website. It's always only on CorvetteForum but I'm not so sure this is actually originating from CorvetteForum to hijack your browser and crash it. Again, haven't seen another reporting that issue - other than scrolling ads that are accidentally being activated by the user.

To clarify, this thread originally started by reporting scrolling ads on the mobile site (nothing more reported). Then this thread grew because a few days later, a mistake was made with the configuration that caused more ads to be displayed to desktop members who were logged in. That issue was corrected. Even though this thread's topic was about ads, the reports in this thread was atleast two completely different issues.

Originally Posted by mrr23
And yes its only on corvette forum
Old 04-16-2016, 05:02 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Well someone has to be the first to report it. Yay me!! As you can see in the first picture, in the upper right hand corner you'll see a 1 in a square. That represents one tab being open.

It's always only on corvette forum because it happens only on corvette forum. If it happened on other websites, i wouldn't be telling you about it, because i would know its my phone. Don't take it personal.

It doesn't actually crash my browser. That website hijacks my browser stopping me from leaving by continuously popping up messages. I have to close the tab to get off the website.

This started today. I have been on facebook and corvetteflorida.com with this not happening. It was my third time being in corvette forum with it happening when i reported it to you.

Just for fyi, i haven't been on here since i reported it. So far hasn't reared its ugly head. I'll report again if it does. Even if it happens elsewhere to help you out.

Last edited by mrr23; 04-16-2016 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 05:51 PM
J T
IB Staff

You said it locks up your Internet, so that's why I commented about locking up the browser.

The advertising is for Sprint. We show that you are posting from a Sprint network. I'm not so sure this is really coming from CorvetteForum.

I don't take it personal because I'm not involved in the advertising.

Well someone has to be the first to report it. Yay me!! As you can see in the first picture, in the upper right hand corner you'll see a 1 in a square. That represents one tab being open.

It's always only on corvette forum because it happens only on corvette forum. If it happened on other websites, i wouldn't be telling you about it, because i would know its my phone. Don't take it personal.

It doesn't actually crash my browser. That website hijacks my browser stopping me from leaving by continuously popping up messages. I have to close the tab to get off the website.

This started today. I have been on facebook and corvetteflorida.com with this not happening. It was my third time being in corvette forum with it happening when i reported it to you.

Just for fyi, i haven't been on here since i reported it. So far hasn't reared its ugly head. I'll report again if it does. Even if it happens elsewhere to help you out.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:45 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by J T
You said it locks up your Internet, so that's why I commented about locking up the browser.

The advertising is for Sprint. We show that you are posting from a Sprint network. I'm not so sure this is really coming from CorvetteForum.

I don't take it personal because I'm not involved in the advertising.
Well my poor choice of wording then. The advertising for sprint is because the website is picking up on my network and advertising as such.

Because corvette forum uses google advertising, it may have had something to do with the scrolling advertising. And when i am scrolling, the particular advertising that scrolls up may be the redirect that is accidentally touched. I did have one of those scrolling advertisements before all this started. So while not corvetteforum direct advertisements, it still is an advertisment that was on corvette forum. So the scrolling advertisements do not seem like a good idea.

It seemed like you were taking it personally with your
"It's always only on CorvetteForum" comment.

Its ok to take it personally. It means you care about your job here.

Last edited by mrr23; 04-16-2016 at 06:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Horrible scrolling ads when logged in

Old 04-16-2016, 10:00 PM
J T
IB Staff

CorvetteForum and maybe one or two other sites use Google advertising. So you see, not just CorvetteForum

Because corvette forum uses google advertising,
I get an advertisment that takes me off of corvette forum and locks my internet up on my phone. Have to close the page and restart the Internet. Done all the clearing of cache and data to no avail.
So the ad actually isn't redirecting you away as you stated above. You are activating the ad by tapping/clicking on it, right?
Old 04-16-2016, 10:37 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by J T
CorvetteForum and maybe one or two other sites use Google advertising. So you see, not just CorvetteForum

So the ad actually isn't redirecting you away as you stated above. You are activating the ad by tapping/clicking on it, right?
I have no idea how it's happening. What i do know is it was happening only on here. I was trying to help and surmise that it might have been because of the wonderful scrolling ads that was wonderfully placed by those running this website sneaks up as i touch to scroll as others have reported accidentally doing.

As i tried to convey, and thought i did pretty good, is i was being taken away to that website more than once.

It hasn't happened since reporting. So whatever it was is gone. I see you still don't believe it was only happening here and somehow my fault. Not the first time I've reported an issue here and met this same resistance of it's not us it's you.

That's ok you can stand down, disaster averted.

Last edited by mrr23; 04-16-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:39 PM
Nsomniac
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have no idea how it's happening. What i do know is it was happening only on here. I was trying to help and surmise that it might have been because of the wonderful scrolling ads that was wonderfully placed by those running this website sneaks up as i touch to scroll as others have reported accidentally doing.

As i tried to convey, and thought i did pretty good, is i was being taken away to that website more than once.

It hasn't happened since reporting. So whatever it was is gone. I see you still don't believe it was only happening here and somehow my fault. Not the first time I've reported an issue here and met this same resistance of it's not us it's you.

That's ok you can stand down, disaster averted.

I was having the same issue happen on my iphone 6. It doesn't redirect you the first time it pops up, but you have no option to click anything but "Ok". If you are like me, your hand can get going before the page fully loads, so once I hit ok by accident rather than closing the program. From then on, I couldn't open CF at all, it would automatically redirect to the other site. This has happened 3 times over the past 2 months. It's only tied to this site. I am a supermod on another IB forum, so I usually try to help out, but I haven't been able to reproduce the error in 3 weeks or so.

Last edited by Nsomniac; 04-18-2016 at 02:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Horrible scrolling ads when logged in