C4 sub-forums gone?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 06:34 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default C4 sub-forums gone?

There are 2 sub forums missing the C4 section One was the Scan and Tune. Any idea?
Old 05-24-2016, 10:43 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make sure to read the Announcements as well as Stickies as they contain important and frequently asked information

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...php?f=48&a=297

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
There are 2 sub forums missing the C4 section One was the Scan and Tune. Any idea?
Old 08-11-2016, 03:00 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Default This is inept...

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!

A link to announcements that says "permissions not granted"

AND

The thought that a forum would DELETE an entire section of contributions related to an entire generation of ECM software is just plain IGNORANT!

To me, this forum has lost a GIANT chunk of credibility if that forum's information is really gone.
Old 08-11-2016, 08:33 AM
J T
IB Staff

First, this was dated back in May. So this is a few months old. The Announcement expired since then.

Second, no content was "deleted". The content was merged.

This is the announcement as posted by Administrator Savewave:

Originally Posted by Savewave
May 24 Update: All of the feedback was positive to the plan noted below to consolidate two lesser used C4 sections into Tech/Performance, so the IB tech team has proceeded to merge those sections and the associated content.

--------------------
Activity in two of the C4 sub-sections, Scan & Tune and Forced Induction/Nitrous, has fallen off to an average of one new post per week between the two of them.

When that happens, there is a tendency for such sections to appear static and for people to stop checking them. They also can be easily overwhelmed by vendor sales threads.

My inclination is to merge those two sections into Tech/Performance, where posting activity is off somewhat, but still averages about 75 posts per week. Doing so will mean questions posted about Scan & Tune or Forced Induction/Nitrous are more likely to get response on a timely basis.

Let me know via PM if you have questions or suggestions.
Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
You have GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!!!!

A link to announcements that says "permissions not granted"

AND

The thought that a forum would DELETE an entire section of contributions related to an entire generation of ECM software is just plain IGNORANT!

To me, this forum has lost a GIANT chunk of credibility if that forum's information is really gone.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:12 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

My apology for an emotional reply. Let me explain why I assumed the worst. Before I posted here, I did a search for "C4 Scan/Tune" across the entire C4 section. The results did not make it apparent what had happened. The most logical thing to assume was the forum was GONE.

IMO, Some of the other C4 forum "stickies" seem less important than what happened to an entire section. Please allow me to suggest making the notice a sticky in C4 tech.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:05 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

If you are interested in feedback regarding your decision to merge forums....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-section.html
Old 08-12-2016, 04:19 PM
J T
IB Staff

I leave it up to Administrator Savewave. Like I said an Announcement, as I provided the link to, was made in that section back in May. That was the time to provide feedback. We're now past 3 months.

Also, you can't undo a merge without manually doing each thread.

That it took a few months for some people to provide feedback further support that lack of activity in that forum that caused the merge? Would sort of appear that way to me.

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
If you are interested in feedback regarding your decision to merge forums....

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...n-section.html
Old 08-13-2016, 12:43 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

No debate regarding the lower (lack of) activity in FI/Tune. Since I've been an IT Guy for 30 years, I know the benefit for the merge to be non-existent. The number of OVERALL forum categories isn't so high as to be annoying for initial lookup either. There simply isn't a good reason to "deorganize" information. In that regard, my frustration with the merge seems founded (to me).

Let's say I wanted to refresh my memory on the topics I posted in the tuning section when I went through learning to tune. It will be way harder (if not impossible) to filter those out.

That is was not reasonably easy to figure out what happened to those threads w/o posting here supports my point for not going all DEVO on us.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 08-13-2016 at 12:47 AM.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:57 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Note: After posting above, I notice SaveWave locked the linked thread in C4Tech containing feedback. He gave examples of FI information that he found.

Following his advice I tried filtering (with my username) for "TUNE" to fine my old threads in SCAN/TUNE. NADA. I tried "PARM". Nothing.

It's not that simple...and locking a thread to keep users from making a reasonable point isn't terribly friendly, democratic, or open-minded.

Last edited by GREGGPENN; 08-13-2016 at 12:59 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 sub-forums gone?

Quick Reply: C4 sub-forums gone?