Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Functionality suggestion - go to MY last post.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 05:50 PM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Default Functionality suggestion - go to MY last post.

I know in the thread list you can click on the >> and go to the last post in the thread. But I want to go to MY last post in the thread. Is there functionality that I am missing....or is that functionality just not there?

My suggestion is to make this icon take a user to their last post in the thread.

Can that be done?

Actually, I know software, and I know ANYTHING can be done. It's just the effort sometimes.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:28 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No, the feature does not exist in the current software.

It's not always about effort. We change it, then the functionality of that features changes for everyone that used it for over 10 years. Some won't like it for reasons that will vary. Given that thousands of other vBulletin-based forums don't function that way, that adds another argument. So then another option/step might be making it a setting per account. And it doesn't stop there.

I don't know if such a feature would be efficient and without very short/limited use. Say you post in a thread and then continue to follow the thread but don't post new replies. That wouldn't be uncommon practice for members. You're probably not going to use that dedicated button to always anchor you to your last reply and scroll through the other replies - ones that were already read.

Adding or changing features, especially that require a re-write, require taking many things into consideration from different views.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:10 PM
X-ZZ4
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Translation: Too much work. We're just here to collect ad money.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:04 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Internet Brands investing into the communities (hardware and software wise) with some specific features found on their communities that may not be available on comparable vBulletin forums sort of suggests otherwise.

Since you said you're familiar with software, you'll understand there is a (rather extensive) process to developing software. It's not solely about if it can be done. For your specific suggestion, I noted it doesn't exist in the current software. So it may have been a feature not seen as useful or perhaps never thought of. Because it's not in the core software, that means it's not a simple button click. And unless you make it a setting per account (which now makes that suggestion more complicated by having to tie multiple points in the software), that feature will change for every single member and someone is going to take issue with it for some reason. Since you said you're familiar with software, you'll understand it's impossible to please everyone and that you see all sorts of varying feedback as to how it should work and look.

I didn't say "no, it will never be added". You asked if the feature existed and then made the suggestion. I responded by saying the feature does not exist and I gave a view as someone who has worked with (and uses) this specific software for some years with some communities.

Originally Posted by X-ZZ4
Translation: Too much work. We're just here to collect ad money.

Get notified of new replies

To Functionality suggestion - go to MY last post.

Quick Reply: Functionality suggestion - go to MY last post.