Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Anyone having trouble with picture sizing?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2016, 10:21 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Anyone having trouble with picture sizing?

I'm using Firefox and in the last couple of weeks photos no longer resize in the threads. I end up with the full size picture and a horizontal scroll bar ... makes the thread unreadable for me. I have the issue on multiple computers and my laptop.

Admin has investigated and can't duplicate the issue ... so I'm curious if all my computers are somehow messed up of if this has something to do with forum SW updates that drop out older versions of Firefox somehow. However I did update one computer the the current Firefox version with the same result so I'm stumped.

Both Windows XP and Windows 7 machines

Thanks
Old 09-25-2016, 10:39 AM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,276 Likes on 935 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

No problem with Firefox on my Windows 7 desktop computer.
Old 09-25-2016, 11:04 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use Firefox and don't have that issue.

BTW, Windows XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. Running outdated software, that the developer no longer supports, is a security risk. Image resizing not working would be the least of the concern. The same goes for running older Firefox versions.

You're most likely running some sort of 3rd party software that is altering the appearance and functionality.
Old 09-27-2016, 02:08 PM
J T
IB Staff

Make sure you are using the latest Firefox version which is 49.0.1

The latest updates on CorvetteForum is not meant to break older Firefox versions but, apparently, something may not be compatible.

I want to, again, point out that running older versions of software is not secure - especially connected to the Internet. Not only does this apply to using Windows XP, but older versions of Firefox.

Originally Posted by rbl
However I did update one computer the the current Firefox version with the same result so I'm stumped.
Old 10-01-2016, 10:23 AM
Jim_C
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

J T
Was going to start a new thread on this very subject and search revealed this thread.
I have exactly the same problem. Started about 3 weeks ago. Large photos are not resized and result in extremely wide thread displays.
In a thread in C1/C2 a user posted a picture of and engine stamp that was 4032x3024, which created an entry 3 times the width of my screen.
I am running Win 10 home and Firefox 47.0.1 which Mozilla says is the latest.
This happened suddenly one day about 3 weeks ago.
CUL Jim
Old 10-01-2016, 10:37 AM
Jim_C
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 34 Likes on 7 Posts

J T
Whoops, upgrading Firefox from 43.0.1 to 47.0.1 seems to have fixed the issue. Pictures are not correctly resized.
CUL Jim
Old 10-01-2016, 02:04 PM
J T
IB Staff

Don't know what you mean. You say it's fixed in one sentence then the other sentence you say it's not working correctly.

BTW, 49.0.1 is the fastest Firefox since the 23rd of last month. Not 47.

Originally Posted by Jim_C
J T
Whoops, upgrading Firefox from 43.0.1 to 47.0.1 seems to have fixed the issue. Pictures are not correctly resized.
CUL Jim
Old 10-03-2016, 01:38 PM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim_C
J T
Was going to start a new thread on this very subject and search revealed this thread.
I have exactly the same problem. Started about 3 weeks ago. Large photos are not resized and result in extremely wide thread displays.
In a thread in C1/C2 a user posted a picture of and engine stamp that was 4032x3024, which created an entry 3 times the width of my screen.
I am running Win 10 home and Firefox 47.0.1 which Mozilla says is the latest.
This happened suddenly one day about 3 weeks ago.
CUL Jim

Exactly correct. I don't think it is a FF issue. Mine was fine one day and the next it did exactly as described on all of my computers. I have Win 7 on my laptop and loaded V48 of Firefox with the same result. Something got updated and it probably will be hard to sort it out. Savewave (Jim) has been very helpful and is digging into it.

@JT ... security risk is almost a joke. What is the risk that others with different SW don't have? If they hack the pentagon, Powell's email, Yahoo and the DNC I doubt my little old XP machine is much of a target.

Talk about risk ... try Facebook!

Vista was Microsoft's answer to introducing a new platform after XP and is was pure garbage. Then we go to Windows 7 which is totally incomparable with XP and a mess also requiring a complete reinstall of SW. Now up to Win 10 and a lot of the really good software won't run on it like my $10K in CAD stuff I paid for.

Win XP at the end is the most stable platform ever with Microsoft. It virtually never crashes or locks up. Unfortunately for me/us, they are in the SW business and to make $$ they need to sell new stuff. I will stick with XP until it starts giving the nag screens (again caused by Microsoft)

Old 10-03-2016, 03:25 PM
J T
IB Staff

Like I said, Firefox 49.0.1 is the latest. I use nothing but Firefox, the latest, and don't have the issue. We had someone in the team that did have the issue but was running really old Firefox version. They updated to latest and reported the issue was fixed. That is why we continue to suggest to update to the latest.

Regarding the security risk comment, it is not a "joke". XP is not supported by Microsoft any longer. That means there is no security updates. Most 3rd party companies also no longer support XP. You have a device connected to the Internet running an outdated software that no longer receives patches. You don't think there's any risk and that's a joke? The browser is not the only way into your machine. You want a machine that is can be remotely controlled and used in DDoS attacks, for just one example? It's not all about breaking into a computer to steal boring data. It's also about using the resources of your machine and Internet to disrupt services. Even software companies that don't sell software for money, such as Firefox, still push updates. So software updates is not all about making money! This really shouldn't even be a debate.

Originally Posted by rbl
Exactly correct. I don't think it is a FF issue. Mine was fine one day and the next it did exactly as described on all of my computers. I have Win 7 on my laptop and loaded V48 of Firefox with the same result. Something got updated and it probably will be hard to sort it out. Savewave (Jim) has been very helpful and is digging into it.

@JT ... security risk is almost a joke. What is the risk that others with different SW don't have? If they hack the pentagon, Powell's email, Yahoo and the DNC I doubt my little old XP machine is much of a target.

Talk about risk ... try Facebook!

Vista was Microsoft's answer to introducing a new platform after XP and is was pure garbage. Then we go to Windows 7 which is totally incomparable with XP and a mess also requiring a complete reinstall of SW. Now up to Win 10 and a lot of the really good software won't run on it like my $10K in CAD stuff I paid for.

Win XP at the end is the most stable platform ever with Microsoft. It virtually never crashes or locks up. Unfortunately for me/us, they are in the SW business and to make $$ they need to sell new stuff. I will stick with XP until it starts giving the nag screens (again caused by Microsoft)

Old 10-12-2016, 10:36 AM
itsalwayssomething
Le Mans Master

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've been having the same issues for the last month or so. It won't resize the pic's.
It doesn't matter if I'm running FF 49.0 or Safari 9.1.1. It's the same on my home computer or my work computer.
Old 10-12-2016, 07:43 PM
J T
IB Staff

Maybe you have an extension that is altering the appearance or functionality. Because I have FF 49.0.1 (latest) and also had 48.0 and neither have the issue. Our team could only duplicate the issue if running an older version of FF.

You can post a link to a specific post showing the issue. Please don't just link to a thread that has a few hundred posts because then we're not looking at the very same example.

But I repeat that it's possible there's an extension being used. Disable the extensions through Safe Mode or try a new profile.

People using the same FF version without extensions should not be getting two different results. If that's the case, that's an issue for FF itself and not CorvetteForum.

Originally Posted by itsalwayssomething
I've been having the same issues for the last month or so. It won't resize the pic's.
It doesn't matter if I'm running FF 49.0 or Safari 9.1.1. It's the same on my home computer or my work computer.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:14 AM
itsalwayssomething
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by J T
Maybe you have an extension that is altering the appearance or functionality. Because I have FF 49.0.1 (latest) and also had 48.0 and neither have the issue. Our team could only duplicate the issue if running an older version of FF.

You can post a link to a specific post showing the issue. Please don't just link to a thread that has a few hundred posts because then we're not looking at the very same example.

But I repeat that it's possible there's an extension being used. Disable the extensions through Safe Mode or try a new profile.

People using the same FF version without extensions should not be getting two different results. If that's the case, that's an issue for FF itself and not CorvetteForum.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...zing-test.html
Here is a link to a test. I used Safari as my browser to eliminate Firefox.
Also here is a screen shot showing no extensions. Thanks for looking into this for me as I'm not very computer savvy.

Old 10-13-2016, 10:20 AM
J T
IB Staff

Please show me the same with Firefox.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...zing-test.html
Here is a link to a test. I used Safari as my browser to eliminate Firefox.
Also here is a screen shot showing no extensions. Thanks for looking into this for me as I'm not very computer savvy.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:54 PM
itsalwayssomething
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by J T
Please show me the same with Firefox.
Old 10-13-2016, 07:24 PM
J T
IB Staff

At this time, I don't have an answer for Safari.

But attached is a screen capture from my Firefox 49.0.1 and your image is properly resized in your example.

My suggestion would be to make sure your Firefox is updated, make sure you have cleared your browser's cache and if the issue continues then try a blank profile. That it is working correctly for us, but not you, may suggest an issue with your Firefox browser to see two different results. Firefox's own support would be to disable any extensions and then try a blank profile.

Attached Images  
Old 10-13-2016, 07:39 PM
itsalwayssomething
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by J T
At this time, I don't have an answer for Safari.

But attached is a screen capture from my Firefox 49.0.1 and your image is properly resized in your example.

My suggestion would be to make sure your Firefox is updated, make sure you have cleared your browser's cache and if the issue continues then try a blank profile. That it is working correctly for us, but not you, may suggest an issue with your Firefox browser to see two different results. Firefox's own support would be to disable any extensions and then try a blank profile.
Thank you for all your help.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone having trouble with picture sizing?