Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Malware ads

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2016, 07:11 PM
Spacewalker
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Malware ads

Here is a screenshot from my iPhone. Only happens on chrome. I deleted chrome for a month and reinstalled and it's still happening.

Safari doesn't do it.

It's most definitely an ad redirect from Corvetteforum.

Last edited by Spacewalker; 12-08-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-19-2016, 07:23 AM
Darion
Safety Car

Received 232 Likes on 142 Posts

I am on android and get similar from here

http://you-gift-card.pw/get

Takes over my screen by redirecting me there and have to close chrome, reload CF and go back to where I was, pretty annoying for what looks like a scam of some sort.

PC

Btw, happens several times a day, logged in. Thx

Last edited by Darion; 12-19-2016 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-26-2016, 06:03 PM
BlownC6Cpe
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I get this crap regularily on this site
Attached Images  
Old 01-07-2017, 08:43 AM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Originally Posted by Darion
I am on android and get similar from here

http://you-gift-card.pw/get

Takes over my screen by redirecting me there and have to close chrome, reload CF and go back to where I was, pretty annoying for what looks like a scam of some sort.

PC

Btw, happens several times a day, logged in. Thx
Just got this one myself

http://you-gift-cards.pw/get?subid=10714609181&pubid=159664&gid=l LXxtvFppF3eYDoIG9Xuyg^^

Last time this happened they blamed my phone. Well different phone a year later and doing it again.

Last time they finally figured it out these are coming from the rotating ads.
Old 01-07-2017, 09:01 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Been getting these for days. Only on CF. Getting aggregated with it. Mods, you may need to have the site admins run a virus scan! Lol
Old 01-07-2017, 09:15 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Administrators and Moderators don't run the server. We're not using a Microsoft Windows server and it's not a virus or breach. The server itself is clean. Google, which crawls the site, shows we're clean.

As explained before, this usually comes in through an ad that is resold through a slot. The source is found, removed, and then it sometimes finds a new slot. These aren't CF ads.

Originally Posted by FYREANT
Been getting these for days. Only on CF. Getting aggregated with it. Mods, you may need to have the site admins run a virus scan! Lol
Old 01-09-2017, 09:54 AM
Peva
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

THIS INFO. MAY HELP SOME that are having this problem.

IT ALSO MAY PROVIDE A CLUE TO SITE ADMINS on how to fix it.

I have observed the following:

If I use the "View Mobile Site" option, the problem happens frequently.

If I use the "View Full Site" option, the hi-jack pop-ups NEVER occur.

IOW, the problem seems to be unique to the Mobile site.

That was a pleasant breakthrough discovery for me because I much prefer the Full Site option on my iPhone anyway. (I'm using Safari, but I assume that what I observed is also true using other browsers and devices. Problem does not occur on my Win 10 desktop using MS Edge browser.)

To mobile device site users:
To switch between Mobile Site and Full Site, scroll to the very bottom of any thread page. Depending on which version of the site you are currently in, you will see either a "View Mobile Site" or "View Full Site" button. If you're currently on the Mobile Site, click on the "View Full Site" button. If your experience is like mine, this pop-up problem will magically disappear.

To site admins:
You might want to look at what's different about the Mobile version of the site that makes it vulnerable to this problem. Perhaps there is a feature or setting in the Mobile version that needs to be tweaked to make it behave just like the Full version in this regard.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:21 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Peva
THIS INFO. MAY HELP SOME that are having this problem.

IT ALSO MAY PROVIDE A CLUE TO SITE ADMINS on how to fix it.

I have observed the following:

If I use the "View Mobile Site" option, the problem happens frequently.

If I use the "View Full Site" option, the hi-jack pop-ups NEVER occur.

IOW, the problem seems to be unique to the Mobile site.

That was a pleasant breakthrough discovery for me because I much prefer the Full Site option on my iPhone anyway. (I'm using Safari, but I assume that what I observed is also true using other browsers and devices. Problem does not occur on my Win 10 desktop using MS Edge browser.)

To mobile device site users:
To switch between Mobile Site and Full Site, scroll to the very bottom of any thread page. Depending on which version of the site you are currently in, you will see either a "View Mobile Site" or "View Full Site" button. If you're currently on the Mobile Site, click on the "View Full Site" button. If your experience is like mine, this pop-up problem will magically disappear.

To site admins:
You might want to look at what's different about the Mobile version of the site that makes it vulnerable to this problem. Perhaps there is a feature or setting in the Mobile version that needs to be tweaked to make it behave just like the Full version in this regard.
I use the desktop version of the site on my iPhone. I hate the mobile site. I still have the problem. So it's not specific to the mobile site. It may just be more prevalent on the mobile site..
Old 01-09-2017, 11:32 AM
Peva
Race Director

I use the desktop version of the site on my iPhone. I hate the mobile site. I still have the problem. So it's not specific to the mobile site. It may just be more prevalent on the mobile site..
Interesting. Have you cleared History, etc. from Safari in Settings? If not, you might try that.

I did that as suggested in another thread on this problem, and it seemed to help for a few days, but then the problem returned when using Mobil site. All I know is that since then, no problems when using Full site.
Old 01-09-2017, 12:09 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by Peva
Interesting. Have you cleared History, etc. from Safari in Settings? If not, you might try that.

I did that as suggested in another thread on this problem, and it seemed to help for a few days, but then the problem returned when using Mobil site. All I know is that since then, no problems when using Full site.
I did indeed. Had to do it multiple times a day. Today its been better though and hasn't happened yet.
Old 01-09-2017, 01:13 PM
Peva
Race Director

I did indeed. Had to do it multiple times a day. Today its been better though and hasn't happened yet.
I avoid clearing history like the plague - just did it that one time. Until I realized the problem completely goes away for me as long as I stay in Full site, I just put up with the annoying pop-ups rather than clear history again.

I hope you figure out something that works for you. Hmm - why would my iPhone not have the problem in Full site, but yours does? Perhaps we have different settings in our phones.
Old 01-12-2017, 02:25 AM
Peva
Race Director

Originally Posted by J T
Administrators and Moderators don't run the server. We're not using a Microsoft Windows server and it's not a virus or breach. The server itself is clean. Google, which crawls the site, shows we're clean.

As explained before, this usually comes in through an ad that is resold through a slot. The source is found, removed, and then it sometimes finds a new slot. These aren't CF ads.
So the people who do run the servers can't take the fact that whatever the mechanism that causes or allows the problem manifests itself differently on the Mobile site than on the Full site (in my case, Mobile site extremely vulnerable to the problem, Full site totally immune to the problem) and from that, determine how to fix the problem based on what's different between the two sites?
Old 01-22-2017, 07:22 PM
jacktucky
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Good admins are capable of blocking these ads way before most users get to see them.

This place being for profit is the only difference from most other forums that don't have these kinds of ads.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:02 AM
Peva
Race Director

I previously stated that I *only* get the pop ups when displaying threads from the Mobile view site, and that I started using only the Full view site because it is better in general, *and* because, for me, it is immune from the pop ups.

HOWEVER, recently I'm finding that occasionally something will cause new windows that I open in CF to open from the Mobile view site, and when that happens, I get the pop ups again. I have to wonder if some of those that are stating that they get the pop ups when on the Full view site are also getting hi-jacked to the Mobile view site, and they don't realize that that is happening because once the pop up happens in a window, you can't tell which site that window was using (before the pop up hit) - IOW, it may be that the pop up can only happen from the Mobile site, but the second part of the problem is that whatever the flaw is in CF that allows the pop ups in the Mobile view site is also capable of switching from your Full site setting to the Mobile view.
Old 02-11-2017, 04:29 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

This place needs to get a grip on this ad issue
Attached Images  
Old 02-11-2017, 07:21 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by mrr23
This place needs to get a grip on this ad issue
I agree. I get this constantly:

Old 02-11-2017, 07:59 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think that's a different issue. Never seen anyone report one like that in any recent time period. Note that some malware on iphones have been known to take the viewer to the Apple Store. Apple has fixed that security issue more than once.

I agree. I get this constantly:

Old 02-11-2017, 09:04 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by J T
I think that's a different issue. Never seen anyone report one like that in any recent time period. Note that some malware on iphones have been known to take the viewer to the Apple Store. Apple has fixed that security issue more than once.
Thats exactly what it does, takes me to the app store. This ONLY happens on CF and I have already closed all tabs and fully cleared cache and history. It did this in the past for me, then was gone for quite a while and now is back again..

Get notified of new replies

To Malware ads

Quick Reply: Malware ads