Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Google Chrome

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 09:24 AM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Default Google Chrome

I have a problem with using Google Chrome. When I log on to CF, I get a pop up that freezes my browser. It tells me that my Flash Player is in need of an update. This is not true. Also, I get an additional pop up telling me my computer has a virus. This comes from a site called "Mac Keeper." This is also not true. How do I get rid of these pop ups? My other browsers work just fine without problems.

Last edited by rkhegler; 01-28-2017 at 09:25 AM.
Old 01-28-2017, 11:59 AM
MoeLarryCheese
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17-'18

I guess you could try deleting all google chrome files (and emptying the recycle bin when finished) and then reload google chrome.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:25 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Because you're having an issue with Google Chrome, you might need to go to their help pages for support.

I would first delete cookies and cache using Google's own support page as linked:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?hl=en

Then I'd check the Extensions tab to make sure there is no extensions that shouldn't be there.

Finally, I'd run a malware program to ensure the computer is clean.

Do not click on any pop-up from any site claiming flash is outdated. While Flash is continuously updated and does need to be updated on the computer as their software has so many vulnerabilities, only trust Microsoft and Adobe Flash for Flash updates.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, you'll likely need to go to Google's own support for help with Chrome.

Originally Posted by rkhegler
I have a problem with using Google Chrome. When I log on to CF, I get a pop up that freezes my browser. It tells me that my Flash Player is in need of an update. This is not true. Also, I get an additional pop up telling me my computer has a virus. This comes from a site called "Mac Keeper." This is also not true. How do I get rid of these pop ups? My other browsers work just fine without problems.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:42 PM
rkhegler
Team Owner

Received 350 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by J T
Because you're having an issue with Google Chrome, you might need to go to their help pages for support.

I would first delete cookies and cache using Google's own support page as linked:
https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/32050?hl=en

Then I'd check the Extensions tab to make sure there is no extensions that shouldn't be there.

Finally, I'd run a malware program to ensure the computer is clean.

Do not click on any pop-up from any site claiming flash is outdated. While Flash is continuously updated and does need to be updated on the computer as their software has so many vulnerabilities, only trust Microsoft and Adobe Flash for Flash updates.

If this doesn't resolve the issue, you'll likely need to go to Google's own support for help with Chrome.
Took your advice and I think it worked, at least for now. Thanks for the help. I appreciate your efforts.

Next, I have to figure out how to use my pop up blocker. The problem seems to be an extension called Surfbuyer. I cannot find it in the extensions. How do I get rid of this annoying add popup?

Last edited by rkhegler; 01-28-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-28-2017, 08:21 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was likely downloaded software packaged with other software. If it's not listed in the Control Panel / Programs as something to remove, make sure all Google Extensions you see listed are legit ones. Lastly, again, I think you need to download a malware program and scan your computer. That Surfbuyer is on it, shows you have an infected machine.

Originally Posted by rkhegler
Took your advice and I think it worked, at least for now. Thanks for the help. I appreciate your efforts.

Next, I have to figure out how to use my pop up blocker. The problem seems to be an extension called Surfbuyer. I cannot find it in the extensions. How do I get rid of this annoying add popup?
Old 01-29-2017, 12:04 PM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,821 Likes on 2,065 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Some malware will reinstall itself after you clean it out. The only TRUE way to remove that kind of malware is to boot your PC up into the "SAFE" mode. When you do that, it stops the malware from reinstalling and then you can clean the source of the issue with a program called malwarebytes. Safe, mode, full scan with malwarebytes and then a normal reboot should clean your PC.

Elmer

Get notified of new replies

To Google Chrome