Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Any way to lock my phone to view Full site only?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 01:27 AM
Peva
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any way to lock my phone to view Full site only?

I much prefer the Full site (vs. Mobile site) when using CF on my iPhone (partly because the Full site appears to be immune form the "$1000 cash card" hi-jack pop ups that many experience only on CF: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1594046992).

Recently, when I open threads on CF, they switch to the Mobile site (and are again subject to the annoying hi-jack pop ups).

Is there a setting that will lock it to view Full site only? I tried finding such a setting in my Corvette Fourums User CP, but don't see any such setting. (Apparently there is a setting for choosing CF "Forum Skin" in User CP, but *only* when using a desktop, but that option doesn't show in mobile browsers: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...to-normal.html)

So, is there any way to lock it to Full site version on my phone, or any idea what allows it to open some windows in CF from the CF Mobile site when I have previously been viewing only in Full site?

Last edited by Peva; 02-08-2017 at 01:53 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:48 AM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The option is cookie based. As long as the cookie is in your browser for your preference to not show mobile, you should not get the mobile version. I'd try clearing your browser's cookies and select the full view again to reset the cookie in the browser.

BTW, please don't cross post the same or similar message. You posted a similar message in 3 other threads about the mobile view. This does not make the process easier when trying to assist people and keep it on the same topic.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:24 PM
Peva
Race Director

I'm not going to clear cookies every few days because it takes time to recover from that. That's not an acceptable solution. Better that the problem of the pop ups is fixed at the source of the problem by whoever maintains the site or provides the software rather than users of the site having to constantly clear cookies every few days as a work-around.

How many people have stated that this is the only site they visit that has anything like this problem? I have yet to experience anything like this problem on any other site.

You've got people in multiple threads posting about essentially the same problem unaware of the other threads, and getting almost no help, and zero indication from those who manage the site that any effort whatsoever is being made to fix a real problem. Instead we're advised to clear our cookies every few days. And I'm chastised for posting information to each discussion that adds information that they don't yet have.

So what is being done to fix the problem at its source?

I think I've added information about the problem that could offer some clues as to it's cause and possible solutions if anyone is paying attention. But in all 3 of those other threads (and others about the same problem) there is no help or feedback whatsoever offered about any effort to truly fix this problem at its source.

So there are at least 3 threads going on simultaneously about the same problem with no indication of any progress or intent to fix it.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:49 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You asked about locking the phone to view full site. I provided you with information as to how that feature works and what might be the issue if it's not working. I guess giving you that background information wasn't going to be adequate because the root issue you have is with the pop-ups.

Originally Posted by Peva
I'm not going to clear cookies every few days because it takes time to recover from that. That's not an acceptable solution. Better that the problem of the pop ups is fixed at the source of the problem by whoever maintains the site or provides the software rather than users of the site having to constantly clear cookies every few days as a work-around.

How many people have stated that this is the only site they visit that has anything like this problem? I have yet to experience anything like this problem on any other site.
So let's move to the "pop-up" issue. This problem actually does occur on other sites. I have to admit other IB sites are included in that, but because of the nature of the issue, I assure you it's not just IB sites.

Just take a look at this Google blog, which states they removed 1.7 billion "bad ads" in 2016 to see it's not just a CorvetteForum thing:
https://blog.google/topics/ads/how-w...scammers-2016/

You've got people in multiple threads posting about essentially the same problem unaware of the other threads, and getting almost no help, and zero indication from those who manage the site that any effort whatsoever is being made to fix a real problem. Instead we're advised to clear our cookies every few days. And I'm chastised for posting information to each discussion that adds information that they don't yet have.

So what is being done to fix the problem at its source?

I think I've added information about the problem that could offer some clues as to it's cause and possible solutions if anyone is paying attention. But in all 3 of those other threads (and others about the same problem) there is no help or feedback whatsoever offered about any effort to truly fix this problem at its source.

So there are at least 3 threads going on simultaneously about the same problem with no indication of any progress or intent to fix it.
A few things to note. I did read your post, last month, where you stated the following:

I'm not an IT guy, but I have suggested that the fact that it never happens in Full site version on my iPhone indicates that there apparently is some aspect of the Full version that maybe could be incorporated into the Mobile version to make it also immune to the problem.
To be honest, it's not that simple. Also note that others have indicated it's not confined to mobile, despite that has been your own experience. One reason why experiences may differ is because that's how advertising online works. Ads rotate. Ads are served to different people based on location, based on browsing history and keywords, etc.

I have explained the issue a few times but when you have numerous threads, it's pretty difficult to reply to every single one of those and people still miss the response and claim nothing is being done, or no official is providing updates, etc. Simply put, it is not very manageable to have cross-posting of the same content and expect every one of those posts to get the same update.

The root of the issue is that some companies buy blocks of advertising and run those types of ads - often through a 3rd party. When our advertising team is able to track the offender, remove the ad, the issue appears again from a different source. I think the fact that Google itself, which claims to have removed 1.7 billion bad ads in 2016, and continues an effort to "crack-down" on bad ads, shows just how much of an issue this really is on the Internet. This is not a CorvetteForum specific issue.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:10 AM
Peva
Race Director

Thank you for your thorough reply. And I apologize for my attitude about it - pent up frustration came out. You deserve credit for not responding in kind.

I guess as long as there is, of necessity, a spigot open for "legitimate" advertising, there will always be bad actors who will figure out back-door ways to get their fraudulent content thru. It's frustrating to ignorant (on the workings of the internet) people (like me) who don't understand the workings of the www because it seems that there must be some way to vet the content and automatically block the bad stuff.

I guess the fact that it *seems* like it *should* be easy to solve makes the uninitiated suspicious of those who run things - hence the frustration. No doubt, just like with "real" (i.e., non-internet-related) world problems, there are conspiracy theories out there that those who *could* do something about certain annoying problems are "in on" the sleazy side of things (for any number of reasons that could be real or imagined) and therefore don't really want to fix the problem. But I digress.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Peva; 02-09-2017 at 06:14 AM. Reason: To fix auto-corrected spelling errors
Old 02-14-2017, 10:59 AM
K-Spaz
Team Owner

Location: Central PA. - - My AR15 identifies as a muzzleloader
Received 522 Likes on 387 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

If you'd like to have this go away, consider using Opera Mobile (Browser) where you can set in the options to use the full sites all the time. I'm not sure if that can also be done site based, but it can on the desktop version. The phone version works really nice for me. You can also control things like "Force always allow zoom", open in a new tab, and other stuff.

Get notified of new replies

To Any way to lock my phone to view Full site only?

Quick Reply: Any way to lock my phone to view Full site only?