Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Having trouble viewing photos within threads.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 09:18 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Default Having trouble viewing photos within threads.

In many threads the picture appears in full view like normal which is fine.

However, in other threads all that's visible is a small square indicating a photo.
When I click on this icon, I get a message saying the site cannot be accessed -- this never happened till recently.
I'm wondering if it's a CF issue or a Google Chrome issue.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-10-2017, 09:47 PM
J T
IB Staff

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Please provide a link to a specific example. And please don't link to a thread that has multiple pages. We need to look at the exact same post that you are when you have the issue.

Pictures posted by members to CorvetteForum may or may not be hosted on CorvetteForum. Members may upload pictures to CorvetteForum and in those cases CorvetteForum is the host. In other cases, members may simply hot-link by providing a link to the picture that is hosted somewhere else (such as Facebook, Photobucket, etc.,). In the latter case, CorvetteForum has no control over that content and its accessibility. If pictures hosted somewhere else don't load, CorvetteForum cannot do anything to resolve the issue as it's not on our servers.
Old 02-11-2017, 01:54 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by J T
Please provide a link to a specific example. And please don't link to a thread that has multiple pages. We need to look at the exact same post that you are when you have the issue.

Pictures posted by members to CorvetteForum may or may not be hosted on CorvetteForum. Members may upload pictures to CorvetteForum and in those cases CorvetteForum is the host. In other cases, members may simply hot-link by providing a link to the picture that is hosted somewhere else (such as Facebook, Photobucket, etc.,). In the latter case, CorvetteForum has no control over that content and its accessibility. If pictures hosted somewhere else don't load, CorvetteForum cannot do anything to resolve the issue as it's not on our servers.
The example is post #1
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...85-cj-7-a.html

I cannot see any pictures -- though apparently others can.
Old 02-11-2017, 02:50 PM
J T
IB Staff

Those images are hosted by CorvetteForum. They do display correctly.

I'd first try clearing your browser's cache but I suspect that's not enough. You either have a 3rd party plugin that is altering the appearance and/or functionality of the website or you have blocked images from the CorvetteForum server. Even though those images are hosted by CorvetteForum, they are hosted on the ibsrv.net server. The latter can be checked by clicking the Hamburger icon, Settings, Show Advanced Settings, Content Settings, Manage Exceptions under Images.
Old 02-11-2017, 08:56 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Followed your notes and changed the manage exceptions under image.
didn't make a difference.

When I right click on the icon and select "open in a new window"

this is the message I get:

This site can’t provide a secure connection

cimg5.ibsrv.net uses an unsupported protocol.
ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH
Hide details
The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:37 AM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Go read my post on this same issue

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...th-chrome.html

basically there was a software change that has occurred on the forum that changed where the pictures were being stored, as opposed to outside storage sites that were alluded to, such as picture trail.

corvette forum used to store the pictures on a particular web server using the address

corvetteforum.com/forums/attachments I deleted the www off the front so it wouldn't resolve as an url

photos are now being stored on

cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin

which is the connection that is being refused
Old 02-12-2017, 12:33 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the explanation--

What I'm noticing does indicate "something" changed -- for example going into the C6 cars for sale topic ---
I can view all photos in threads posted Jan 2017 and earlier. Photos in threads originally posted last week are not visible.

I tried adding cimg2.ibserv.net to the Chrome setting menus as JT mentioned -- made no difference.

So -- if I continue using XP and Chrome -- am I out of luck or is there another solution?

BTW -- I did read your explanation in your other post

Last edited by raff; 02-12-2017 at 12:34 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:58 PM
J T
IB Staff

Oh, so you're both using XP with Chrome? That explains the issue. As I said, Google Chrome no longer supports XP and is no longer receiving updates.

Like I said earlier, XP is no longer supported by Microsoft. XP is considered no longer secure as it's not receiving updates. Software vendors have stopped supporting XP. Google Chrome no longer supports XP.

CorvetteForum didn't do anything to directly make XP stop working. The only changes that have been made recently is that some of the content we're serving is from HTTPS.

You guys cannot expect XP and Chrome to work forever on the Internet when the technology changes as it does! You will continue to see these types of issues on other websites.

Originally Posted by drcook
Go read my post on this same issue

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...th-chrome.html

basically there was a software change that has occurred on the forum that changed where the pictures were being stored, as opposed to outside storage sites that were alluded to, such as picture trail.

corvette forum used to store the pictures on a particular web server using the address

corvetteforum.com/forums/attachments I deleted the www off the front so it wouldn't resolve as an url

photos are now being stored on

cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.corvetteforum.com-vbulletin

which is the connection that is being refused
Originally Posted by raff
Thanks for the explanation--

What I'm noticing does indicate "something" changed -- for example going into the C6 cars for sale topic ---
I can view all photos in threads posted Jan 2017 and earlier. Photos in threads originally posted last week are not visible.

I tried adding cimg2.ibserv.net to the Chrome setting menus as JT mentioned -- made no difference.

So -- if I continue using XP and Chrome -- am I out of luck or is there another solution?

BTW -- I did read your explanation in your other post
Old 02-12-2017, 03:49 PM
drcook
Safety Car

Received 959 Likes on 734 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

CorvetteForum didn't do anything to directly make XP stop working. The only changes that have been made recently is that some of the content we're serving is from HTTPS.
and it is not XP not working. it is Chrome and Internet Explorer on XP that don't work. Mozilla Firefox on XP works just fine. I bounced back and forth between Chrome and Mozilla looking at server names to determine which path worked and which didn't

so yes you did do it. you (or someone in the organization) changed where the pictures (attachments) are stored. as a consequence, a secure connection to the other server cannot be made, so the version of Chrome that we are on rejects the connection.

when exactly did it happen, can't say, but it did

is it your fault, no,
did you do it, yes,
can you be expected to maintain backwards compatibility forever, no.

do you need to fess up to a change in the architecture that caused the symptom to appear, yes. it is the polite/professional thing to do along with the explanation.

does there need to be a big argument and finger pointing no, of course not

if it had been me, I would have simply said that in modernizing our architecture, we implemented a feature that the old iterations of Chrome and Internet Explorer for that matter don't handle correctly. enough said, no beating around the bush, deflecting the issue, just a simple concise explanation is all that is needed.

as I said, I worked out what happened. the photos we can see are stored on one server path, the ones we can't another. I can accept that.

I have already migrated to Mozilla. I do have a windows 7 box. I just prefer the speed and control I have over XP. Has to do with being in the business for so long.

am I going to pay Microsoft a big chunk of money to see the forum ? no. I lived without Corvette Forum since 1991 when I sold the last Vette and just got back into them in July 16 of this year. Is it going to break my heart if I eventually lose connectivity because I refuse help Gates get another billion, no.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:27 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

and it is not XP not working. it is Chrome and Internet Explorer on XP that don't work. Mozilla Firefox on XP works just fine. I bounced back and forth between Chrome and Mozilla looking at server names to determine which path worked and which didn't

so yes you did do it. you (or someone in the organization) changed where the pictures (attachments) are stored. as a consequence, a secure connection to the other server cannot be made, so the version of Chrome that we are on rejects the connection.
I really appreciate your insight.
I just installed Mozilla as an additional browser -- and gues what -- I can now see the previously "invisible" pictures.

Installing Mozilla surely beats installing windows 10 just to vew pictures on CF.

Thanks again.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:28 PM
J T
IB Staff

I wasn't "beating around the bush" or "deflecting the issue" as you put it. It is the fault of running an outdated operating system with an outdated browser. Plain and simple. You don't think other websites are (or will be) using HTTPS?!?!

The root of the issue is you're running an outdated operating system (XP), which not only is not secure, but has continued to see software support be dropped. Google Chrome did this and Mozilla indicated they will be, too.

You seem to be upset at me for the change that was made despite the fact you will be running into this issue more and more as you continue to use an outdated operating system (XP) that is no longer supported by Microsoft (who developed and maintained XP) while other software vendors also continue to drop support for XP (such as Google Chrome) AND as websites (like CorvetteForum) continue to move toward HTTPS (secure) for obvious reasons.

You'll note that using modern browsers to access any site that asks for a password and is not doing so via HTTPS will show a "not secure" type message because there's a push to use HTTPS.

So if you continue to use XP and Chrome, expect to see this issue much more on the Internet. This is not just a CorvetteForum thing.

Criticizing me for how I delivered the message is not up for debate in this public forum and is also against the policies.

I will give you some advice. Microsoft is not the only option. If you dislike Microsoft, there's a few other options you can try - some that are free.

when exactly did it happen, can't say, but it did

is it your fault, no,
did you do it, yes,
can you be expected to maintain backwards compatibility forever, no.

do you need to fess up to a change in the architecture that caused the symptom to appear, yes. it is the polite/professional thing to do along with the explanation.

does there need to be a big argument and finger pointing no, of course not

if it had been me, I would have simply said that in modernizing our architecture, we implemented a feature that the old iterations of Chrome and Internet Explorer for that matter don't handle correctly. enough said, no beating around the bush, deflecting the issue, just a simple concise explanation is all that is needed.

as I said, I worked out what happened. the photos we can see are stored on one server path, the ones we can't another. I can accept that.

I have already migrated to Mozilla. I do have a windows 7 box. I just prefer the speed and control I have over XP. Has to do with being in the business for so long.

am I going to pay Microsoft a big chunk of money to see the forum ? no. I lived without Corvette Forum since 1991 when I sold the last Vette and just got back into them in July 16 of this year. Is it going to break my heart if I eventually lose connectivity because I refuse help Gates get another billion, no.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:34 PM
J T
IB Staff

Like I said above, when you're running an outdated browser (Chrome) on an outdated operating system (XP), you're going to continue to see this issues and it's far from just CorvetteForum.

Google Chrome dropped support for XP. Other software vendors have dropped for XP. It stands to reason that Mozilla won't support XP forever?

Hopefully you have a different plan because this issue you're seeing is only continue to increase when you're running an outdated operating system.

BTW, please read this:
https://blog.mozilla.org/futurerelea...-xp-and-vista/

Originally Posted by from Mozilla article
In mid-2017, user numbers on Windows XP and Vista will be reassessed and a final support end date will be announced.

In the meantime, we strongly encourage our users to upgrade to a version of Windows that is supported by Microsoft. Unsupported operating systems receive no security updates, have known exploits, and are dangerous for you to use. For planning purposes, enterprises using Firefox should consider September 2017 as the support end date for Windows XP and Vista.
Mozilla doesn't appear that they're going to continue to support XP for the long-term.

Originally Posted by raff
I really appreciate your insight.
I just installed Mozilla as an additional browser -- and gues what -- I can now see the previously "invisible" pictures.

Installing Mozilla surely beats installing windows 10 just to vew pictures on CF.

Thanks again.

Get notified of new replies

To Having trouble viewing photos within threads.

Quick Reply: Having trouble viewing photos within threads.