Help Forum How To | General Corvetteforum Questions | Feedback

Whats with the malware ,viruses on this site

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2017, 09:38 PM
jpbls
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Default Whats with the malware ,viruses on this site

Every other time I come on this site,my anti virus picks up something.Same when I access this site from my phone.Annoying
Old 02-16-2017, 09:41 PM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Received 2,379 Likes on 1,238 Posts

turn off your antivirus. no more annoying.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 PM
phantasms
Leeds.io
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 398 Likes on 239 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Apple.com
Old 02-16-2017, 10:32 PM
Joy c7
Drifting

Received 321 Likes on 238 Posts

No problem here.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:44 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,831 Likes on 659 Posts

My anti-virus has popped up with warnings a couple times when coming to this site as well. Not sure what the hell is going on. It's weird when I'm getting virus alerts from Corvette Forum and not **** sites.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:55 AM
Chuck A
Race Director

Received 138 Likes on 129 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

every time i get on this , it asks me if i have a question to ask
very not knowing indeed
Old 02-17-2017, 02:16 AM
ajrothm
Le Mans Master

Received 1,095 Likes on 746 Posts

I have also been getting the pop up/down load requests on this forum, however, ironcally its only on my work computer which is on a huge global network/firewall etc..

My trusty iphone doesnt get anything, but the work network does..LOL

I was thinking it was just some glitch with our system, but apparently if you guys are getting it as well, its a real deal.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:16 AM
funz06
Drifting

Received 105 Likes on 86 Posts

My IT security expert daughter did something to my computer that greatly improved things. I will try to find out today just what she did and post again.

We narrowed my persistent virus problems to the Forum as well. I had trouble for some 2+ years.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:20 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,974 Likes on 1,140 Posts

15 years on here....... a variety of computers, work, we got big time firewalls at work, home and the like......never a problem. Now I've gone and jinxed myself.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:28 AM
funz06
Drifting

PS.............my virus problem was really twofold; the Forum, and a friend of mine in RI. I had to stop opening anything he sent me, no matter the source or how innocent it appeared. For years he would mock me when my daughter threatened to not fix my computer again if I continued to open his enclosures (jokes, stories, etc.). Well...............turns out his computer was so infected with viruses it was beyond repair...............he was forced to buy a new computer and his computer friends told him not to download anything from his old computer.

So, between this guy cleaning up his act, and me never opening any enclosures he, or anyone else, sends, and my daughter adjusting my computer for the Forum (details to follow in another post), my computer is 99% better. I was getting viruses at least weekly.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:35 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by funz06
PS.............my virus problem was really twofold; the Forum, and a friend of mine in RI. I had to stop opening anything he sent me, no matter the source or how innocent it appeared. For years he would mock me when my daughter threatened to not fix my computer again if I continued to open his enclosures (jokes, stories, etc.). Well...............turns out his computer was so infected with viruses it was beyond repair...............he was forced to buy a new computer and his computer friends told him not to download anything from his old computer.

So, between this guy cleaning up his act, and me never opening any enclosures he, or anyone else, sends, and my daughter adjusting my computer for the Forum (details to follow in another post), my computer is 99% better. I was getting viruses at least weekly.
Posts like this make me laugh and do nothing but make the computer makers and resellers more money. Nobody ever has to buy a new computer if it is loaded with viruses. If you don't want to take the time to clean it up simply reinstall your operating system. Even if malware was to take over your boot sector there are free programs to clean every single bit on your hard drive so you can start over again.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:51 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Originally Posted by b4i4getit
Posts like this make me laugh and do nothing but make the computer makers and resellers more money. Nobody ever has to buy a new computer if it is loaded with viruses. If you don't want to take the time to clean it up simply reinstall your operating system. Even if malware was to take over your boot sector there are free programs to clean every single bit on your hard drive so you can start over again.
bro, he was from Rhode Island though. he made that clear....
Old 02-17-2017, 09:12 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
bro, he was from Rhode Island though. he made that clear....
Who cares where his friend was from ? I did not but you apparently did. That was not the purpose of my comment. I was just making a public service announcement to anybody that could be convinced to buy a new computer because of virus infestation. Plain and simple.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:21 AM
BOBSZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 319 Likes on 205 Posts

Norton
Old 02-17-2017, 09:33 AM
funz06
Drifting

I am sure the extent of the viruses was the last straw---his computer was fairly old as well.

Fixing computers may be easy for you, but that does not mean the same holds true for everyone. In my own personal experience, to help save my daughter time, I had the computer keeks (or whatever they are called) come out and 'attempt' to fix things. They failed miserably. They readily admitted they couldn't do it-----they were stumped. They also acknowledged that they had never even heard of most of the things my daughter had already done and was planning to do.

Oh yea, she and her husband work at a firm that does extensive IT security work for the FBI, Federal Reserve banks,etc., and co-workers are heavily involved with the Chinese government hacking, etc. They live and breath viruses.

Simply reinstalling my operating system is not something I would attempt myself---if it easy for you---good for you.

However, evaluating and really understanding the most complex financial statements in the world, including those involving hundreds and thousands of pages of interim and FYE statements and other SEC required filings, especially the reams of data related to the largest bankruptcies, acquisitions and mergers in the world, is a breeze to me. We each have our own strengths and weaknesses.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:45 AM
azcanuk
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Change pop up settings...

us the pop up settings in your anti virus software. Block all pop ups and adds but let me warn you.. the forum police don't like you to do so as that is how they make their $$$$... adds, adds and more adds..

So, set your private browsing and anti banner.. and you'll be surprised at how many are blocked when you enter this site.

Love the site, all the comradery and help, but..
Old 02-17-2017, 09:45 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,500 Likes on 2,593 Posts

Norton 360 on my main PC and free AVG on very old, slow laptop and no virus problems on the forum for many years. I also use AdBlock+ but financially support the forum for the value I get.

Last edited by AzDave47; 02-17-2017 at 09:47 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Whats with the malware ,viruses on this site

Old 02-17-2017, 09:51 AM
Speednet
Melting Slicks

Received 755 Likes on 332 Posts

IT expert here. If you use Windows 10 on your computer, my best advice is to get rid of (uninstall) ALL malware protection -- Norton, Kaspersky, McAfee, Malwarebytes, etc., etc., etc. -- and simply enable Windows Defender, which is built into Windows 10.

(You actually don't need to manually enable Defender. It will enable itself once you've gotten rid of all the crap malware software.)

I have been saying this for YEARS, but finally the tech industry is starting to call out these grubby money-makers (malware software vendors) for actually making your computer LESS SECURE.

Here is a recent technical article from Ars Technica that describes one scenario where malware software makes your web browser unsecure: https://arstechnica.com/information-...ivirus-is-bad/.

Malware software purposely labels harmless activities and functionality on your computer as "evil/bad stuff", because the more stuff it can tell you it helped you with, the greater the chance you will renew the annual subscription to their software or upgrade to the latest version. Even free software works like that, because they use their volume of free installs to convince corporate customers to pay for a "professional" version.

A great example of a harmless function that is labeled "evil/bad" is browser cookies. All malware vendors want to "make you secure" by blocking cookies and/or constantly deleting them. That is not only dumb, but again it makes your computer less secure. By deleting cookies, you are not making yourself one bit more safe, but instead you are forcing yourself to login to websites all the time (because many websites store your login token in a cookie), so you are constantly entering and re-entering your password. Unless you use a password organizer (like LastPass) then you will typically create easy passwords that you can type quickly, because you have to use them all the time. There is nothing whatsoever that is bad or evil about cookies, no matter what line of bull you've been told. All the bad stories about cookies were started years ago by the very companies that make money blocking them.

I have been using Defender since the very first free version came out in the Windows 7 days. Back then it was called Microsoft Security Essentials. I have never experienced one single bad malware event since that time, but it did catch some attempts to invade my computer when I was stupid and clicked on something I shouldn't have. (Even experts have flashes of stupidity.)

By the way, I mentioned LastPass; I strongly recommend that people use LastPass or another password manager. LastPass is my absolute favorite, and very much worth paying a little money for the complete software. But you also get an enormous amount of functionality just with the free package. It allows you to create a unique, complex password for every website, and then when you get to the Log In page of a website, it automatically logs you in. You only need to remember one password: the password to LastPass. You create a good complex password that you can remember for LastPass, and that's the only place that password is used. It works in every web browser and every smartphone platform.

So that's my 2 cents, feel free to comment or question.

Last edited by Speednet; 02-17-2017 at 09:56 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Higgs Boson
Race Director

Who cares where his friend was from ? I did not but you apparently did. That was not the purpose of my comment. I was just making a public service announcement to anybody that could be convinced to buy a new computer because of virus infestation. Plain and simple.
lol emotions. i was making fun of the other guy for saying it but you bit too???

gee willikers!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:58 AM
irok
Safety Car

Received 500 Likes on 443 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck A
every time i get on this , it asks me if i have a question to ask
very not knowing indeed
been getting the exact popup for the last 2 weeks

Quick Reply: Whats with the malware ,viruses on this site