In loving memory of lost CorvetteForum Brothers and Sisters Memorials honoring Corvetteforum members lost to death.

Art Jones 1941-2002

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 04:17 PM
ArthurMartin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Art Jones 1941-2002

Hello,
I just signed up to this forum in October, and it has been great source of information. Growing up my father bought a 1972 vette, and over the years he tinkered with it, rebuilt the engine and put new interior in it. He always loved the car, barely drove it but really enjoyed working on it. he also owned a 1998 Vette. My father was one of the nicest, most compassionate people I have ever come across.

He would do anything for a total stranger, and many times he did. Just one example.. Every day he would go to work and see a lady standing on the side of the road, waiting on a bus with her 3 kids. She was always in her work clothes, so he knew she was taking kids to daycare, and then off to work. So one day he went out and bought a car, a 1992 Pontiac Sunbird to be exact, put new brakes on the car, new tires, tuned it up and buffed it to shine. The next morning he went by the bus stop, got out of the Sunbird, and handed the lady the keys. At first she thought it was a joke, but when she realized it was real, she burst into tears and was so thankful that it was worth every penny he spent. He always said there is no greater reward in life than helping someone.

He was a avid runner and biker. He ran many marathons, as well as triathlons. The reason I am posting this now, even though my dad passed away in 2002, is because I am new here. I felt it necessary to make mention of someone that was and still is very special to me. As healthy as my dad was, the one thing he couldn't beat was lung cancer. We found out he had it and 4 months later he passed. My father worked as a Anesthesiologist for 30 years, retired, and this terrible disease hit him 2 years after his retirement. After he passed my brother took ownership of his corvette, and I always told myself that if I had the opportunity, I was going to buy the car from him. Well that opportunity came, and now I own the car. I used to work on it with him for hours at a time, and there is nothing I love more than getting in it, and driving and thinking of my dad. He was such a huge influence in my life, he was my best friend, and I will always remember the great man he was, and his love for classic cars.

I look forward to the wealth of information and companionship that this forum is, and appreciate all of the help everyone here has already been.

Jonathan

Last edited by ArthurMartin; 12-05-2008 at 04:20 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:32 PM
bizaro
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Thanks for sharing that story. Your father sounds like he was one hellova guy. It sounds as though he raised a pretty nice family as well.

Last edited by bizaro; 12-06-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Art Jones 1941-2002