Intros New Corvetteforum member introductions & welcomes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soon to be new Vette owner W/Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2015, 11:33 PM
VETTBABY
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soon to be new Vette owner W/Questions

Hello Corvette Owners I am a soon to be Vette owner myself. I could use some info & direction. 1st. a little about me. I am 74 years old in great shape & this will be my 1st. Vette. I am retired in the Land Of Sunshine & No Basements & play golf 3 to 5 times a week. Raised 4 good kids have 11 Grand Kids & 2 Greatgrand kids. I figure it's time to cross off one of my bucket list items. The hottest car I had before this was an old Camaro years ago. Right now I am driving my Florida retirement car-------------------------------------------you guested it a
Lincoln Towncar W/168K miles.

This is not an advertisement for a Vette but just want to share my thoughts.
I have 35K +/- to spend on a Corvette. So I guess that puts me in a 2007/ 08 car. I am looking at for an automatic, convertible preferable Atomic Orange W. Tan Top & interior. Not looking for any after market add on's. Close to stock is fine with around 30K miles or less.

I have done some homework on those years & I have a few questions.

But first this!
I am looking at a 2007 with just under 30K miles owned by a 60 + year old retired guy. It has the exactly colors I am looking for. He is the 2nd owner since about 12K miles & has owned it 5 yrs. The car has been in Fl. & garaged it's whole life & it looks very well taken care of. I don't know what PKG it has but has heads up display & auto top. He did tell me that he had the car at Daytona Speedway when a private citizen could & had it up to 156 MPH around the track other then that I don't think the car was pushed to much by him. Is that something that should concern me?

What ever Vette I do buy I see there is a concern with the valves & lifters on these years, should that be taken care of before I buy a car. Are there any other inherent problems with those years?

Is there anything in particular I should look for or want in a convertible? Is there a preferable package or handling?

I would like to buy a one owner Florida car but that may be hard.
On the cars I'v looked at I have asked to see service records some people have them some don't. With a car that has under 30 K miles what records should the owner have?

Should I insist on having the car brought to a Chevy Dealer & have the Dealer do a complete inspection & have it put on a computer to get a read out.

Anything else that might help me would be really appropriated. I find that most of the owners of the cars I have looked at are pretty straight up but if you don't know what to ask or look for, nobody is volunteering any info.

Thanks Alot For The Help

Jerry D
SEMPER FI
THE ERA OF THE M1 GARRAND
Old 07-25-2015, 10:06 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

welcome and good luck with your first Corvette!
Old 07-26-2015, 05:54 PM
MY6TH
Intermediate

Jerry
If you are interested, meeting for breakfast or lunch, eatery of your choosing & talk. Give me a name, date & time. I go to the VA clinic & know your area for the most part. Not that far.
Not offended if you don't. Jack
Old 07-26-2015, 09:09 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by VETTBABY
This is not an advertisement for a Vette but just want to share my thoughts.
I have 35K +/- to spend on a Corvette. So I guess that puts me in a 2007/ 08 car. I am looking at for an automatic, convertible preferable Atomic Orange W. Tan Top & interior. Not looking for any after market add on's. Close to stock is fine with around 30K miles or less.

I have done some homework on those years & I have a few questions.

What ever Vette I do buy I see there is a concern with the valves & lifters on these years, should that be taken care of before I buy a car. Are there any other inherent problems with those years?

Anything else that might help me would be really appropriated. I find that most of the owners of the cars I have looked at are pretty straight up but if you don't know what to ask or look for, nobody is volunteering any info.
There are some differences between the 2007 and 2008 models.
The first one being the engine LS2 vs LS3.

Here's a couple of links with the differences:
2007:
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/.../08012006.html
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...2007/index.html

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...2008press.html
http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/...008/index.html

Welcome -- and enjoy the search.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:18 PM
VETTBABY
Heel & Toe

Jack did you get my email about meeting?
Jerry
SEMPER FI
Old 07-28-2015, 09:48 AM
Brandons72vette
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome!

Get notified of new replies

To Soon to be new Vette owner W/Questions

Quick Reply: Soon to be new Vette owner W/Questions