Intros New Corvetteforum member introductions & welcomes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4weeks of owning a C5 and can't wait to get rid of it

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 04:09 PM
tumbaumba
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4weeks of owning a C5 and can't wait to get rid of it

Bought one of my dream cars - a C5 (bone stock)
When I just got into it and drove for the first time - I was excited like a little kid... simply because I've always wanted to own one. However, from the very first day of owning it I started being disappointed with how slow it accelerates. But I did realize that it has potential to be quick with some mods.
after about 4 weeks of driving the car, not only do I not want to mod it, I can't wait to get rid of this piece of work.
The pedals and the shifter especially feels like you are in a GM dump truck.
All the noises that the transmission makes in 1st gear (which are apparently normal for these cars) are starting to get very annoying.
Overall there are so many mechanical noises, it feels like things are worn out , but it's the normal noises of a C5 from what I was explained.
When driving in the rain, I need to bring a towel with me because the door windows leak.
The electronics/cluster goes crazy when displaying low tire pressure warning and just stops working all together if there is a single warning message.
None of the body panels fit right on the car.. from the factory. I never realized just how many uneven gaps there are .. until I looked close.
And the car is huge for a two seater, why is it so big? It is a boat. can't keep up with traffic on small twisty roads.
the car is so overhyped!
Anyone else have a similar experience and feeling disappointed ?

Last edited by tumbaumba; 10-22-2016 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:12 PM
rkj427
Race Director
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,952 Likes on 2,470 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)

Welcome to the forum!

Perhaps you should have driven it and looked it over a lot better before you took the plunge and purchased it?
Old 10-22-2016, 04:14 PM
Black 03 Z06
Le Mans Master

Received 540 Likes on 390 Posts

Maybe you just bought the wrong car. Just leave the keys in the shitbox at the curb, somebody will like it.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:26 PM
FX VETTE
Team Owner

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,182 Posts
Winner 2020 C7 of the Year - Modified

Your profile is empty. What year is your C5? How many milles does it have?
Old 10-22-2016, 09:07 PM
tumbaumba
Intermediate

The car is a '98 that has been garaged and babied. It looks like it came out of a museum.
I needed a couple of weeks with the car before I could really start looking at it objectively.
For years I was watching videos of this car, reading all the hype about it, listening to its exhaust note, and imagining myself driving it.. so I couldn't really think clearly the day I actually test drove it and bought it...
I guess the point of this post is to find out whether anyone had the same disappointing experience AND whether it is possible to mod the car to fix some or the problems it has.
The major problems being what I described: very sluggish acceleration, horrendous shifter, transmission noise, boaty handling, leaking windows, and gauge cluster going crazy with error messages
Just looking for some ideas /suggestions. I am just lost and disappointed. it just me? Or is the car really junk and I should just accept that and move on?

Last edited by tumbaumba; 10-22-2016 at 09:19 PM.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:26 AM
guappy
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the forum and I hope you get all your problems worked out.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:27 AM
gilhuly
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Sorry you're having a bad time with your C5!
Old 10-24-2016, 09:46 PM
raff
Burning Brakes

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Originally Posted by tumbaumba
The car is a '98 that has been garaged and babied. It looks like it came out of a museum.
I needed a couple of weeks with the car before I could really start looking at it objectively.
For years I was watching videos of this car, reading all the hype about it, listening to its exhaust note, and imagining myself driving it.. so I couldn't really think clearly the day I actually test drove it and bought it...
I guess the point of this post is to find out whether anyone had the same disappointing experience AND whether it is possible to mod the car to fix some or the problems it has.
The major problems being what I described: very sluggish acceleration, horrendous shifter, transmission noise, boaty handling, leaking windows, and gauge cluster going crazy with error messages
Just looking for some ideas /suggestions. I am just lost and disappointed. it just me? Or is the car really junk and I should just accept that and move on?
Sorry these problem are souring your enjoyment --
but here's a couple of threads that should answer/help with some of your concerns.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...must-read.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ion-files.html

Good luck -- hope everything works out for you.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:31 AM
jehuds10
Race Director

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

Sorry to hear the C5 didn't meet your expectations.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:21 AM
tumbaumba
Intermediate

I appreciate all the responses and especially the links for technical information

After giving it much thought, I've decided to keep the car and work on eliminating its flaws...
Old 10-26-2016, 12:22 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

I appreciate all the responses and especially the links for technical information

After giving it much thought, I've decided to keep the car and work on eliminating its flaws...
Good decision. It will be a great ride once the bugs are taken care of.

Last edited by Old Ben; 10-26-2016 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-30-2016, 11:53 AM
GBKT
Heel & Toe

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my C5Z in the beginning of September. Car is good-to-great shape. It is an '02, so my ideas were tempered a little bit. Why? Because it's a 14 year old car. Keep that in mind, as a lot has happened in automotive technology the last decade! Enjoy it for what it is, and there is certainly no end to the things available in the market to upgrade your experience! Good Luck!
Old 11-04-2016, 07:51 PM
Tuco
Team Owner

Location: Blessed are the cracked. For they are the ones who let in the light.
Received 165 Likes on 136 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Best of luck with the new ride, and just a tad curious as to what you're comparing it to with the acceleration and handling?
And yes.... the car is almost 20 years old.
But just so much that can be done to make it what you want for the cheap... make it your's brutha.
Stop in C5 general and the tech section....lot of fantastic people to point you in the right direction without wasting time or $$
Old 11-09-2016, 11:03 PM
MtnLuvr
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Welcome--don't give up!

I bought my first Vette a month and 1/2 ago. It is a black 2002. I fell in love at first sight. I have since learned so much here at the forum about what I should have done, first. I did what I knew, then, and am not going to kick myself now. I have several things that I have found need fixing that I will get to this winter. I never thought I could own a Vette and will take the problems with the pleasure. Even cars with tender care age and need repairs. Don't get down. Read everything you can here and ask questions. These members know so much and will give you great help if you ask for it. I have learned so much and look forward to the hours in my garage this winter working on my new ride. Give it a chance, you won't regret it.
Old 11-10-2016, 01:44 AM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,289 Likes on 13,964 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Hope you get the problem areas fixed and can then enjoy your C5.
Old 11-10-2016, 07:44 AM
dahogan
Enjoy while you can.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,685 Likes on 1,272 Posts
Ohio Events Coordinator
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Welcome aboard and in the end it will work out
Old 11-10-2016, 04:15 PM
johnd108
7th Gear

I have a '99 C5 and love it....!!
Old 11-10-2016, 04:59 PM
Migee Tz
4th Gear

I too bought my dream, a 2000 C5 convertible this past August, and it too had some minor problems, wet passenger carpet(water in the airbox) water in the fan motor, etc. Went into Corvette forum and found tons of information on the car, and how to repair, and deal with the issues. Point is my car is for a 16 year old car with 40K, I expect to have minor issues, and when I do I know where to go to get information and help... right here. Don't worry, you'll get it straightened out, and then you'll be cruising down the road with as big a smile as I do.
Old 11-10-2016, 10:28 PM
Slo Yelo C5
Race Director

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Bought one of my dream cars - a C5 (bone stock)
When I just got into it and drove for the first time - I was excited like a little kid... simply because I've always wanted to own one. However, from the very first day of owning it I started being disappointed with how slow it accelerates. But I did realize that it has potential to be quick with some mods.
after about 4 weeks of driving the car, not only do I not want to mod it, I can't wait to get rid of this piece of work.
The pedals and the shifter especially feels like you are in a GM dump truck.
All the noises that the transmission makes in 1st gear (which are apparently normal for these cars) are starting to get very annoying.
Overall there are so many mechanical noises, it feels like things are worn out , but it's the normal noises of a C5 from what I was explained.
When driving in the rain, I need to bring a towel with me because the door windows leak.
The electronics/cluster goes crazy when displaying low tire pressure warning and just stops working all together if there is a single warning message.
None of the body panels fit right on the car.. from the factory. I never realized just how many uneven gaps there are .. until I looked close.
And the car is huge for a two seater, why is it so big? It is a boat. can't keep up with traffic on small twisty roads.
the car is so overhyped!
Anyone else have a similar experience and feeling disappointed ?
I bought my stock 2000 Corvette over the summer. It had 20,000 miles on it when I bought it. I had it inspected and found out the water pump was bad. I replaced it and figured it was no big deal. Then I got my first oil change less than a week after owning it and it started making a sound...like a sewing machine, but louder and annoying and only from 1,400-2,200 rpm. I took it to 3 (!) excellent mechanics, convinced my Millenium Yellow Corvette was a lemon. It turns out...it was all in my head. I thought too much about the sound and kept thinking it wasn't running right. My friend (a Lancer Evolution owner) said (after riding in it)..."this thing is great!!! I'll buy it if you don't want it!" I then realized I just need to enjoy it. I changed all fluids, ignored the sound, and the headlights then stopped working (that plastic gear broke). I had the headlights fixed and now I'm just enjoying the ride. It's an older car (like mine) and may take some time to fix out some annoying problems. But in the words of my Lancer Evolution friend..."you bought a Corvette for the price of a Civic". For what it is, these cars are incredible. Good luck!!!

Get notified of new replies

To 4weeks of owning a C5 and can't wait to get rid of it

Quick Reply: 4weeks of owning a C5 and can't wait to get rid of it