What does "at trim" mean on a corvette build?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 10:39 AM
garytucker
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What does "at trim" mean on a corvette build?

My gt1 is due to be "at trim" on Thursday of this week with a scheduled completion week of 6/18. My order number is njdv0t. I think my post got lost in the "track my build" thread a few weeks ago. Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Thanks in advance Ken!
Old 05-26-2009, 03:26 PM
Ken Fichtner
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 23 Posts
Cruise-in I Veteran
Cruise-in II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran

I can definitely answer this one!

We sold VIN 00004 to a customer in NY. He has yet to receive his car though I was invoiced for it and told that it was completed and shipped in April!

Apparently the stripes and maybe other components are installed after the car has been completed in the Bowling Green Corvette Assembly Plant. The car once built is loaded onto an Allied truck and shipped off site. Once the "trim" is completed off site the car is again loaded on an Allied truck and returned to the plant shipping yard. Then Allied builds a load and ships the car to the delivering dealer.

Your order number has reached an event code of 3400 and the system indicates a tpw of 6/15/09.

Have a great day!
Ken Fichtner
Old 05-26-2009, 03:36 PM
garytucker
Racer

Default Thanks!

That is what I was afraid of! Thanks again!
Old 05-26-2009, 08:22 PM
mbwalker
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by garytucker
My gt1 is due to be "at trim" on Thursday of this week with a scheduled completion week of 6/18. My order number is njdv0t. I think my post got lost in the "track my build" thread a few weeks ago. Sorry if this is in the wrong place. Thanks in advance Ken!
Don't mean to butt in, but I can sort of answer this since we just finished the buyers tour today (5/26). When we saw our car in "trim" on 5/20, some of the the body panels were installed. No doors, no fenders, no radio, etc. Of course, it has not been married to the engine and drive train. Sort of a "shell" of a car. Dash is in, carpet is in... From this point it will take about 2 full days to complete the car. Run rate is about 88 a day. Hope this helps! I think you are going to be in limbo during the 2 week shutdown. I probably saw your car!!

Last edited by mbwalker; 05-27-2009 at 12:13 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-26-2009, 09:58 PM
garytucker
Racer

Default thanks for the additional info!

It was the "yellow" one...

Just kidding. At this point in the game only the interior would give away the GT1. I hate to keep thinking of the saying "so close, but yet so far."

Story of my life...GM shuts down...wife waits longer for her car.

Meanwhile the Trailblazer SS sits in the garage for fear a summer storm will come out of nowhere and put a kink in its departure.

Thanks again for all the information!
Old 05-27-2009, 12:13 PM
mbwalker
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by garytucker
It was the "yellow" one...

Just kidding. At this point in the game only the interior would give away the GT1. I hate to keep thinking of the saying "so close, but yet so far."

Story of my life...GM shuts down...wife waits longer for her car.

Meanwhile the Trailblazer SS sits in the garage for fear a summer storm will come out of nowhere and put a kink in its departure.

Thanks again for all the information!
I did see a set of "GT1" seats in the que line to be installed Tuesday. Maybe they were yours!

Speaking of a "summer storm", our '08 got totaled in a freak flood in March. Only 3400 miles on the odo. We saw the replacement car being built...

Last edited by mbwalker; 05-27-2009 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2009, 01:04 PM
garytucker
Racer

Default Sounds like you get "Oklahoma" storms where you are too!

We get some horrendous weather this time of year. We've had two tornadoes in our immediate area in the last month...no big hail this year (so far) but we sure get it and the rain too.

Last November of all months we had $40,000 of damage to our home due to baseball size hail coming in horizontal at 60+mph!

Sorry to hear about your old car getting totaled...but congrats on the new one! Enjoy!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 02:53 PM
mbwalker
Heel & Toe

Gary - Any new info on your build? Still waiting for ours to show up. Should just be a couple of days (fingers crossed)!
Old 06-07-2009, 09:46 PM
garytucker
Racer

Supposed to come of the line on the 17th or 18th...then has to be striped and wait on a truck to come our way. Sometime soon we hope!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:24 PM
mbwalker
Heel & Toe

Ours took 13 days to show up once it went out the GM Assembly Plant door. The 2008 was the same number of days. Not sure how the GT1 is handled. Ken mentioned some other place installs the decals. Does the car return to BG for shipment after the decal install? Our C6 vert actually showed up in an enclosed ZR1 trailer.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:30 PM
garytucker
Racer

RRankins' car went back to Bowling Green to be shipped. That's what is so much "fun" is that our car is running all over and we aren't in it! I'm hoping the outsource shop is quick in getting the stripes on and back to BG before the last of the '09s leave the plant. GM doesn't tend to send out partial trucks from the plant.
Old 06-11-2009, 06:12 PM
mbwalker
Heel & Toe

The dealer told us that ours (a vert) actually showed up in an enclosed ZR1 trailer. Not sure what was up with that, but I'm glad it did.

I don't know if Allied (the shipper) is obligated to ship, regardless of load, after so many days. Maybe Ken knows.
Old 06-25-2009, 06:31 PM
Vettin Man
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran

"At trim" in plant terminology is when the car comes down the ramp from paint and makes the left turn to where they start putting everything on the car. Been there many times to watch mine get built and that is always what I am told.

BTW, used to live in Enid while at Vance AFB for pilot training, many, many years ago.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:46 PM
mdjww
1st Gear

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:38 PM
garytucker
Racer

Thanks for confirming the info. I'm just in waiting mode as everyone but my wife and I seems to have seen our car at the dealership. Tuesday can't get here soon enough...I'll post some coming home pics when we pick it up!

Get notified of new replies

To What does "at trim" mean on a corvette build?

Quick Reply: What does "at trim" mean on a corvette build?