Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Colorado Emissions Standards?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:23 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Colorado Emissions Standards?

I'm from Illinois, contemplating a change. I have vacationed in Colorado, and love it. I have a friend or two in Denver area and I was contemplating looking for a job and moving out of Illinois.

Onto my question: What are the emissions requirements in Colorado. Right now I have a 90 with long tube headers, no EGR or Air pump hooked up. I am running a cat. Just wondering if I did make the move what obstacles I'd have with getting the car registered/passed emissions.

Right now the car is too old for Illinois to worry about and they I don't have to worry about passing emissions. I bought the car with some mods on it, so I don't even have original parts I could put back on for testing.
Old 09-15-2010, 10:09 AM
34RedRage
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the headers will be ok, but you better be running cats or they will reject your car from a test.....welcome to colorado.....ed
Old 09-15-2010, 07:35 PM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by vettesplus
the headers will be ok, but you better be running cats or they will reject your car from a test.....welcome to colorado.....ed

They are suposed to check for missing emissions equipment also, O2 sensors, cats, air pumps etc. if they spot something removed you have to make it right regardless of cost.
All the test centers are tied into the same data base, so they will know if another station failed you.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:51 AM
CO Lightfoot
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
...Onto my question: What are the emissions requirements in Colorado. Right now I have a 90 with long tube headers, no EGR or Air pump hooked up...
"...new Colorado residents who have registered their vehicle in another state must register their vehicle in Colorado..."
http://www.dmv.com/co/colorado/vehicle-registration

Registering your out-of-state vehicle will require an emissions test. In Denver and some nearby "Enhanced Area" counties, you might qualify for an emission waiver if you spend $715 in emissions related repairs, except that... "Vehicles with missing or tampered emission control devices are not eligible for an emissions waiver.
http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite.../1213694692475

So, even in less-strict Colorado counties, you must have all the OEM emissions equipment -- that is, unless your Inspector is easily bribed or a sympathetic enthusiast or an incompetent employee or a moron who wouldn't know an air pump from a breast pump.

Bottom line: At the very least, you must have all the OEM emissions equipment installed. Then, either qualify for a waiver or pass the emissions testing.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Just an FYI, if don't live in the greater Denver area there is no emissions testing.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:52 AM
CrustyOldGuy
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 7LitreC5
Just an FYI, if don't live in the greater Denver area there is no emissions testing.
That's 1/2 true. It goes by county and Larimer county goes clear to Wyoming to the north and the divide to the West. So you can be a long way from Denver and still need to be tested.

Colorado is too crowded and the weather sucks here. You'd be way better off in Illinois.
Old 09-16-2010, 11:10 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

Thanks for the info. I was not aware of that.

Originally Posted by CrustyOldGuy
That's 1/2 true. It goes by county and Larimer county goes clear to Wyoming to the north and the divide to the West. So you can be a long way from Denver and still need to be tested.

Colorado is too crowded and the weather sucks here. You'd be way better off in Illinois.
Old 09-17-2010, 12:29 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

I've compared the weather, Denver is cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter on average than Chicago, also nice and humid in Chicago in the summer.

As for crowded I don't know about Denver for sure, but Chicago to suburbs just keeps getting more and more people, hard to get away from rush hour traffic.

Hmm, I was thinking about swapping to a miniram with an engine build, that would mean I couldn't put the EGR back on.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:31 AM
His93C4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Plus up in the mountains, Pitkin County is emissions checked.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

el paso county doesnt have emissions, if you end up north like in monument or blackforrest your like 45 min from denver
Old 09-21-2010, 10:27 AM
CrustyOldGuy
Drifting

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
el paso county doesnt have emissions, if you end up north like in monument or blackforrest your like 45 min from denver
True. And the good news is that there is no rush hour traffic between Monument and Denver. The traffic is so bad all the time that you just don't notice when it's rush hour.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:04 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 793 Likes on 537 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Monument Colorado, 50 miles South of Denver, 12 miles north of Colorado Springs...no emissions testing at all. Brought 4 cars in when I moved here in 2007 and no emissions tests, just VIN verification, performed at/by any local car dealer.

I make the run to and from Englewood every day, no traffic...75mph, 40 minutes door to door.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:14 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

After growing up in Illinois. 2 years in Washington D.C. then 2 years downtown Chicago I moved to Colorado the day after I graduated..Literally.

I live in the southwest corner of Weld county ( right next to boulder and broomfield counties). No emissions...yet.

Technically, if you drive in an emissions area you "should" be tested. My office is in south east boulder county about 13 miles away. been driving there for almost six years no problem.

I just avoid the sniffers when I see them parked on "on" and "off" ramps to HWY 36.

We have my car tuned VERY lean at idle and lean at part throttle. WOT is 13.1-13.3:1. and avg 28mpg on the bypass. I don't polute nearly as much as the 15-20 year old broncos, blazers, caprices I see driving around. not to mention the tweaking turbo diesels that leave CLOUDS of particulates driving around.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Coc5
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bowtiguy
After growing up in Illinois. 2 years in Washington D.C. then 2 years downtown Chicago I moved to Colorado the day after I graduated..Literally.

I live in the southwest corner of Weld county ( right next to boulder and broomfield counties). No emissions...yet.

Technically, if you drive in an emissions area you "should" be tested. My office is in south east boulder county about 13 miles away. been driving there for almost six years no problem.

I just avoid the sniffers when I see them parked on "on" and "off" ramps to HWY 36.

We have my car tuned VERY lean at idle and lean at part throttle. WOT is 13.1-13.3:1. and avg 28mpg on the bypass. I don't polute nearly as much as the 15-20 year old broncos, blazers, caprices I see driving around. not to mention the tweaking turbo diesels that leave CLOUDS of particulates driving around.
I certainly would hope your newer Vette wouldn't pollute as much as an 15- 20 year old vehicle as they are held to different standards.

Also democrap Governor Bill Ritter has been trying hard to get vehicle emissions testing in place for presently exempt Weld and Larimer Counties. You know that already, but others need to be made aware.

Last edited by Coc5; 09-28-2010 at 09:01 PM.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:45 AM
bowtiguy
Melting Slicks

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Coc5
Also democrap Governor Bill Ritter has been trying hard to get vehicle emissions testing in place for presently exempt Weld and Larimer Counties. You know that already, but others need to be made aware.
true, but it hasn't changed in 6 years since I've lived here. If you haven't noticed Colorado is ready to go back to a red state the way it should be.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:54 PM
ClintHuggerSS
Instructor

I've done custom tunes to pass emissions here in Colorado for people. just FYI.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Originally Posted by Clint@A.i.R.
I've done custom tunes to pass emissions here in Colorado for people. just FYI.
Good to know.

And thanks for all the info guys.

Get notified of new replies

To Colorado Emissions Standards?

Old 10-04-2010, 08:19 PM
BryanB75
Racer

Just don't live in Denver. I'm in Colorado Springs and they did away with car/motorcycle emissions here. Only on diesels now
Old 10-07-2010, 10:51 AM
68sting
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yep no emissions in the Springs. Traffic does suck in Denver and between the citys. My brother just moved from S Elgin to the Springs. He loves it. Weather is way better here but you'll miss the green. It doesn't rain much here. What you will like is property taxes. They're 1/2 to 1/4 of IL insane taxes.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:27 PM
RedZMonte
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Larimer County (berthoud, Loveland, Fort Collins) -30-45min N of denver and Weld county (frederick, firestone, parts of Longmont, Erie...)15-20 min N of denver currently only has emmissions on desiel trucks.... BUT rumor has it they are bringing it back for gas powered vehicles in a couple years. Most other counties around denver have Emmissions.

When it comes back to larimer county, IM Screwed lol my hoopty has no chance in HELL of passing

S

Quick Reply: Colorado Emissions Standards?