Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Colorado emissions - a complete joke

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Despicable Z
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kromberg
Pretty much state wide unless you live in some small po dunk town ou tin nowhereville.
That would be me-- move out here to the west slope... absolutely nothing to do...absolutely no fed BS to put up with. It's a trade off
Old 05-08-2014, 01:38 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

FYI, a local member on the suby forum I'm a member of went to the emissions facility on county line and colorado last week and failed because of no EPA stamp on his high flow cat and he was missing a cat. He passed the sniffer test but failed visual.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:49 PM
chrisg19
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd throw my C6 story in here really quickly. I have a 2007 with Corsa X-pipe, and Corsa Sport exhaust. Went to the Emissions test place at County line, and at the end of the test, the guy starts looking for the cats, which are still in place up by the headers. Anticipating that, I go out ask him nicely if there is a problem, and he says I am looking for the Cats. I tell him where to look, and he says yeah I saw those, but I don't see them in the long pipes. Thanks to this forum, and this thread in particular, I was prepared with a schematic of the 07 exhaust system, and showed him that even though I changed the pipes, there was never any cats there. His manager came over in this time, to see what was going on, and when I told him that the cats were up near the engine, he knew immediately, and told the tech it was OK. The tech tells me as the Pass certificate is printing that it's a good thing I brought the schematic, because he was ready to fail me.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:54 PM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Just seeing what you guys think after reading this whole thread. i have a 07 head and cam vette with full kooks catless exhaust. i thought i would just change out the catless xpipe for a catted version and it should pass. Is that assumption wrong?
Old 08-15-2014, 12:01 PM
RockyMtC5
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by vettegator005
Just seeing what you guys think after reading this whole thread. i have a 07 head and cam vette with full kooks catless exhaust. i thought i would just change out the catless xpipe for a catted version and it should pass. Is that assumption wrong?
It might…. I just bought my C5 and the dealership had to have cats put in to get it to pass emissions (it has headers, intake, etc). I'm in Longmont too
Old 08-15-2014, 04:51 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyMtC5
It might…. I just bought my C5 and the dealership had to have cats put in to get it to pass emissions (it has headers, intake, etc). I'm in Longmont too
What kind of cats did they put on?
Old 08-15-2014, 05:00 PM
RockyMtC5
Pro

Originally Posted by petsur
What kind of cats did they put on?
I don't even know, it's lowered so can't squeeze underneath for the life of me

I need to either get some ramps or have a shop do all my work

I'm bringing the Corvette out tomorrow morning for a cruise with a buddy and his G8 (my other car is a modded G8 GT, 4 door family beast). I'm only driving the c5 on nice weekends since my G8 is the daily driver

Last edited by RockyMtC5; 08-15-2014 at 05:54 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:27 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Based on what I've read on the Suby forums the emissions station on county line and colorado is the most strict. You might pass but there is a chance they will use a mirror to look for an EPA stamp on the cats.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:29 PM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
Based on what I've read on the Suby forums the emissions station on county line and colorado is the most strict. You might pass but there is a chance they will use a mirror to look for an EPA stamp on the cats.
Do you guys think it's worth the risk to buy a Catted xpipe and get it installed to pass emissions? What are my other options?
Old 08-21-2014, 06:13 PM
RockyMtC5
Pro

It's more expensive and may not pass. Just have an exhaust shop put cats on. Have them weld flanges on so you can replace with straight pipe if wanted
Old 08-25-2014, 03:47 PM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

thanks man
Old 08-25-2014, 04:00 PM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

can they just weld on some stock cats to my current setup without any problems? im running kooks headers and xpipe
Old 08-25-2014, 05:49 PM
RockyMtC5
Pro

can they just weld on some stock cats to my current setup without any problems? im running kooks headers and xpipe
Yes, should work great. I believe that's what they did to mine (welded cats into the catless x pipe)
Old 08-27-2014, 12:44 PM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RockyMtC5
Yes, should work great. I believe that's what they did to mine (welded cats into the catless x pipe)
did they just use stock cats?
Old 08-28-2014, 12:30 AM
RockyMtC5
Pro

No because I have long tube headers..... They welded some universal bullet style cats in the midpipe before the x pipe
Old 08-28-2014, 11:55 AM
tommypenguin
Drifting

When people are getting emissions tested in the state, can you post location of the test, mods/location of high flow cats if applicable and the results of the test?
Old 08-28-2014, 12:12 PM
RockyMtC5
Pro

I'll post up a picture later today of my cats. tested in Boulder and failed until these cats were installed. Stay tuned...

Get notified of new replies

To Colorado emissions - a complete joke

Old 10-06-2014, 01:43 AM
ClintHuggerSS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chrisg19
Just thought I'd throw my C6 story in here really quickly. I have a 2007 with Corsa X-pipe, and Corsa Sport exhaust. Went to the Emissions test place at County line, and at the end of the test, the guy starts looking for the cats, which are still in place up by the headers. Anticipating that, I go out ask him nicely if there is a problem, and he says I am looking for the Cats. I tell him where to look, and he says yeah I saw those, but I don't see them in the long pipes. Thanks to this forum, and this thread in particular, I was prepared with a schematic of the 07 exhaust system, and showed him that even though I changed the pipes, there was never any cats there. His manager came over in this time, to see what was going on, and when I told him that the cats were up near the engine, he knew immediately, and told the tech it was OK. The tech tells me as the Pass certificate is printing that it's a good thing I brought the schematic, because he was ready to fail me.
Good story. I'm glad you read this thread first that way you were prepared! Welcome to my life, I'm at the emissions station about 3 times a month with a new project car trying to pass these tough Colorado laws. I'm always out there talking to the young guys and gals that really sometimes don't have a clue what's going on, I'm just there trying to help them find whatbtheybare looking for. I've got it down to a science now, course being friendly with all the people and managers at the emissions by my shop helps Emencly! When it comes down to it, a good pair of cats is 80% of the battle, then the tricks are needed if you cant pass with a good set of cats. Also having the right driver behind the wheel helps, I try and always scope out this one guy by my place. He's the go to guy on usually getting me to pass.

Clint
Old 06-01-2016, 06:14 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Finally ran my car through emissions. I had half a tank of gas and put 4 gallons of e85 in I barely passed on co and hc but I'm good for a couple years. Went to the Parker station, no visual inspection was done.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:58 PM
Need4Fun
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17

Originally Posted by tommypenguin
Finally ran my car through emissions. I had half a tank of gas and put 4 gallons of e85 in I barely passed on co and hc but I'm good for a couple years. Went to the Parker station, no visual inspection was done.
I've used the mobile van locations for quite a few years. You have to drive pass them at least 2 months before your new yearly registration is due and pass twice.

FROM AIR CARE COLORADO
An alternative to standard emissions testing, RapidScreen gives you the opportunity to have your vehicle’s emissions screened as you drive, rather than having to visit an emissions inpsection station. If you record two clean RapidScreen readings within a 12-month window in the 14 months prior to your registration renewal, you’ll receive notification in the mail on your vehicle’s registration renewal card. If you choose to accept RapidScreen’s clean readings, simply pay your emissions fee along with your registration renewal fee, and you’re good to go.

Van locations change weekly.
Here's the link for van locations.

http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...uck-locations/

Hope this helps,
Arnie

Quick Reply: Colorado emissions - a complete joke