Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Colorado emissions - a complete joke

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Colorado emissions - a complete joke

Apparently, our imperialist Colorado governor hooked up with the EPA and volunteered our state for "enhanced emissions". This took effect January 1st of this year.

My car is a N/A built LS3. Made some adjustments to things prior to taking it to emissions. Car goes through, passes everything, sniffer test, no CEL's etc etc. etc.

Here's the real kick in the pants with all this big government control crap.

Then comes the happy little punk feeling all of his gubbermint empowerment. "Sir, your cats do not have an EPA stamp or a GM EPA code on the cats.

Passes everything, including the damn sniffer - but because there's no EPA approval stamp - I get a no pass. Unreal.

So for those with headers, welcome to the new Colorado emissions where passing the sniffer is not good enough anymore. You now have to make some snot nosed punk AND the EPA happy too.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:31 AM
walhan_qtr
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

wow!! thats BS.... what are you going to do now???
Old 08-28-2012, 08:40 AM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

When I was at the state dept. of health emissions tech center a few weeks back the tech said that you can’t go aftermarket on a cat until the 8year/ 80,000 mile warranty is expired.

And even then it’s still illegal to replace a properly functioning cat, under penalty of up to a $25,000 fine. He said it was a federal law, and that they are finding more equipment violations than expected now that the program has expanded into several more counties.

He also said that as a state we are out of compliance several days a year with air pollution, and the state legislature wrote some new laws to keep the feds happy.

The feds love to threaten to revoke highway funding if the state doesn’t tow the line.

I try to make it a point to drive by the roadside vans several times a year so I dont have to go in the the testing center.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:12 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It took me 4 times.. E85, lean tune, different locations, etc. They would not even test my car because they thought something was wrong with it (they never heard a procharger blower before). Idiots.

Anyhoo, my car will not have to be tested again, I am making sure of that. It is BS what we all have to go through, especially for something that is a leisure vehicle like mine where it might see 1500-2K miles per year.

Then I got a phone call from a state investigator stating that someone had copied or used my passed cert on another corvette. WTF? but later they found it was some internal job. Big fekin joke..

Bastards.. hate 'em.

/rant
Old 08-29-2012, 05:49 PM
ClintHuggerSS
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done several special tunes and other tricks to get cars to pass the sniffer lately. So far very good success, however it's getting harder all the time.

Clint
Old 08-29-2012, 09:55 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Originally Posted by ClintHuggerSS
I've done several special tunes and other tricks to get cars to pass the sniffer lately. So far very good success, however it's getting harder all the time.

Clint
Mine passed the sniffer, but they wanted to see the OEM numbers on the cats or a special cat sticker along with EPA certification for the cats on the car. It's no longer emissions - it's an even bigger gubbermint.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:09 AM
S.U. Vette
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly'n Family
Mine passed the sniffer, but they wanted to see the OEM numbers on the cats or a special cat sticker along with EPA certification for the cats on the car. It's no longer emissions - it's an even bigger gubbermint.
My problem with my C5 was visual too. Pretty sad when you pass the sniffer but still not good enough!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2012, 12:52 AM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Originally Posted by S.U. Vette
My problem with my C5 was visual too. Pretty sad when you pass the sniffer but still not good enough!!!!!!!
That's what infuriates me.

e·mis·sion   /ɪˈmɪʃən/ Show Spelled[ih-mish-uhn] Show IPA
noun
1. an act or instance of emitting: the emission of poisonous fumes.
2. something that is emitted; discharge; emanation

This has moved well past "emissions". At this rate, they're going to put the aftermarket mfg's and speedshops out of business.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:03 AM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Fml I am dreading what it's going to take to get my e85 no cats twin turbo vette to pass emissions when I move to Denver in a few weeks
Old 09-12-2012, 04:21 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
Fml I am dreading what it's going to take to get my e85 no cats twin turbo vette to pass emissions when I move to Denver in a few weeks
You'll fail instantly with just the visual. So, even before you waste your time and 25.00, I would start looking for some cats you can swap in and out.. OEM seem to work best. My high flows were giving us some fits along with my new setup.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:55 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Originally Posted by blackmachdown
AZZ is right, don't bother as it sits. Found the way to get it accomplished so pm me if you want the scoop on what it took.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:31 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Fly'n Family
Apparently, our imperialist Colorado governor hooked up with the EPA and volunteered our state for "enhanced emissions". This took effect January 1st of this year.

My car is a N/A built LS3. Made some adjustments to things prior to taking it to emissions. Car goes through, passes everything, sniffer test, no CEL's etc etc. etc.

Then comes the happy little punk feeling all of his gubbermint empowerment. "Sir, your cats do not have an EPA stamp or a GM EPA code on the cats.

Passes everything, including the damn sniffer - but because there's no EPA approval stamp - I get a no pass. Unreal.

So for those with headers, welcome to the new Colorado emissions where passing the sniffer is not good enough anymore. You now have to make some snot nosed punk AND the EPA happy too.
How is it they can see under the car for what I presume is a tiny stamp??
Old 06-17-2013, 11:01 AM
Snowwolfe
Le Mans Master

Received 879 Likes on 464 Posts

Is the emission testing statewide or just for residents of Denver?
Old 06-17-2013, 03:49 PM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
Pretty much state wide unless you live in some small po dunk town ou tin nowhereville.
Old 06-17-2013, 05:44 PM
AZZ-KIKR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by snowwolfe
It's pretty much down the front range.. Have to live and or have "residence" out of these areas..

CO Emissions area
Old 06-17-2013, 08:41 PM
Fly'n Family
Drifting

Originally Posted by petsur
How is it they can see under the car for what I presume is a tiny stamp??
Responded to your PM with the solution.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:52 PM
Steve_R
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,400 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by kromberg
Pretty much state wide unless you live in some small po dunk town ou tin nowhereville.
Wrong. It's only a few counties on the front range. Most of the state has no emission testing.

Get notified of new replies

To Colorado emissions - a complete joke

Old 06-19-2013, 06:42 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Anyone have a car with headers and replacement cats pass visual in Denver?
Old 06-19-2013, 08:29 AM
His93C4
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Find the sniffer trucks they set up around the front range and go through those. If you pass on them, you don't have to take it in to a center.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:35 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

I did see that while reading the Colo Clean Air website last night. They even post the upcoming van locations.

Quick Reply: Colorado emissions - a complete joke