Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Modded c6 trying to pass colorado emissions

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2015, 12:44 PM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Modded c6 trying to pass colorado emissions

I have an 07 base c6 manual with kooks long tube headers b and b exhaust no cats. I understand i need to have cats on to pass the visual test but do they need to be factory cats or can i use high flows? Any suggestions on reputable exhaust shops in northern colorado?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:08 PM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Weclome to the loveliness called Colorado Emmissions In theory if the cats have a CARB sticker they should pass, but it completely depends on the that stations manager. Most of them are complete @ssholes. Read into that what you want.
Old 01-26-2015, 09:34 PM
EBZ0602
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 61 Posts
2015 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '05-'10

I change the center section out on mine because the high flo cats don't hold the exhaust in long enough to burn off the spent gases. Then I dump some denatured alcohol in the gas tank for good measure.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:34 PM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

im getting oem cats welded on friday then ill take it to emissions next week. fingers crossed. ill keep you all updated. hate this
Old 01-27-2015, 04:31 PM
kromberg
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by EBZ0602
. Then I dump some denatured alcohol in the gas tank for good measure.
This works very well and is almost a must on boosted cars. Since just about every human does not know how to drive a boosted car at the centers, it is a very good idea to open the BOV so the car does not build any boost. Between the cats, alcohol, and the BOV opened you should pass.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:15 PM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

As off 1/1/2015 they are doing obdII scaning as part of or all of the pass/ fail test. Now many cars will not even be run on the dyno just OBDII tested. So make sure your car will pass the OBDII critera before going in or your just wasting time and money.

This is from the Air Care Colorado site.

There are up to 11 readiness monitors in a vehicle that allow the vehicle’s Onboard Diagnostic system (computer system) to monitor for potential emissions problems. Some of these monitors run whenever the vehicle is operating while others run periodically. Once a monitor has run, it is set to “Ready” indicating that the system’s self-evaluation is complete.

Part of Colorado’s OBD emissions test requires certain monitors to be set to “Ready” to ensure the system has properly performed this self-evaluation. All OBD-inspected vehicles must have the Catalytic Converter, Oxygen Sensor, and Heated Oxygen Sensor (if so equipped) monitors set to “Ready” during the inspection. Vehicles model year 2000 and older can have two remaining monitors “Not Ready” while vehicles 2001 and newer can only have one unset monitor.

Specific conditions must be met while driving for the Readiness Monitors to be set to “Ready.” Some vehicle manufacturers provide specific driving procedures to set the necessary monitors to ready.

http://aircarecolorado.com/index.php...y-unable-test/
Old 01-29-2015, 08:56 AM
EBZ0602
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'10

So make sure your car will pass the OBDII critera before going in or your just wasting time and money.

And how are we suppose to know what those are, and how would you check before an emission test?

TIA
Old 01-29-2015, 10:13 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

If you know someone with EFILive or HP Tuners they can check for you.

And how are we suppose to know what those are, and how would you check before an emission test?

TIA
Old 01-29-2015, 11:07 AM
RAMMAN
Race Director
Pro Mechanic

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by 7LitreC5

Anyone who knows how to use a real computer scan tool can check it also.
You need to drive it enough after clearing codes or making any changes to let the cars computer preform the self tests on the emission system and pass them.

A code reader would at least show failure codes.
Old 01-31-2015, 09:43 PM
shor0814
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 7LitreC5
I am in Aurora and have HPTuners and I can scan the car. I have been waiting for this change because mine wouldn't pass the roller test since the new fuel pump.

I got in a catch 22, no registration without emissions and need a registration to drive around to tune and let the computer learn. They only give out so many temp tags too.

They always pretend to look at the cats on my car (I do actually have them) but they can't get the mirrors underneath to see. Wonder how they are going to treat it with the new rules.
Old 02-06-2015, 10:17 AM
EBZ0602
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'10

Mine passed with flying colors, again!!
Old 02-10-2015, 01:23 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

OP, did you pass?

I'm currently registering my car in el paso but would like to register the car in my home county of douglas. My car might pass emissions, it has high flow cats, but I was to scared it wouldn't to try registering the car here. I will probably give it a shot in a month or so, if it passes I will start registering here.
Old 02-12-2015, 04:22 PM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine passed with flying colors, again!!
What type of mods have you done to your engine?
Old 02-16-2015, 03:26 PM
EBZ0602
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '05-'10

Originally Posted by petsur
What type of mods have you done to your engine?
Not much.
The exhaust system is what I have problem with.
I've done exhaust, cai, & ud pulley.
Old 02-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Weston
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kromberg
Weclome to the loveliness called Colorado Emmissions In theory if the cats have a CARB sticker they should pass, but it completely depends on the that stations manager. Most of them are complete @ssholes. Read into that what you want.
CARB is just a California thing, although the presence of that would effectively mean it's 50 state legal.

Per EPA requirements for aftermarket cat manufacturers, there should be some numbers on the cat (which are typically engraved), and there are a handful of reports about CO emissions people requiring to see that, but I don't think we're getting the whole story there... I never did find any reference to this in CO emissions law, it would be very difficult for those numbers to be visible in that little mirror they slide under the car, and these wouldn't necessarily be visible on all cars anyway. It really doesn't make a lot of sense. I think the real lesson here is: don't be a dick to the emissions person, or they'll fail you for some BS reason.

If it happened to me, I'd get the manager involved immediately and demand to see where this requirement is written, then file a complaint with the state if they can't show me and wont budge on the issue. Don't put up with unwritten rule BS. You could also just go to another emissions station, because it seems pretty rare for them to actually do the emissions equipment check, and then even more so to do it to this level. I had no problem getting a Chevy Blazer to pass with a new aftermarket cat which didn't have any numbers on it that I could see, and I've always been able to pass the equipment check with obviously modified cars with aftermarket cats in the past.

Last edited by Weston; 02-22-2015 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:29 PM
vettegator005
Melting Slicks

OK! Update time. I took my car to ai-racing in arvada and clint took care of me. He tuned the car and made the car pass Colorado emissions. Im over the top happy about his work. His tune also resulted in 494 rwhp on my head and cam ls2 which is an awesome number in my opinion. If you have any issues take your vette to clint.

Get notified of new replies

To Modded c6 trying to pass colorado emissions

Quick Reply: Modded c6 trying to pass colorado emissions