Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

High Plains raceway, anyone go?

Old 04-27-2015, 11:23 PM
RockyMtC5
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default High Plains raceway, anyone go?

It's an hour and a half minimum drive for me but I'd be up for a Thursday night and/or weekend lapping! Just put new rubber on the C5 and would love to take it on a real race track instead of just canyon carving

Anyone been here? Anyone wanna go? There's probably a Corvette club that reserves it on occasion, which would be rad too.

http://highplainsraceway.com/

Last edited by RockyMtC5; 04-28-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 07:57 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by RockyMtC5
It's an hour and a half minimum drive for me but I'd be up for a Thursday night and/or weekend lapping! Just put new rubber on the C5 and would love to take it on a real race track instead of just canyon carving

Anyone been here? Anyone wanna go? There's probably a Corvette club that reserves it on occasion, which would be rad too.

http://highplainsraceway.com/
Have been many times including two weeks ago in the snow with NASA. Great track, highly recommend going. Brakes ready? What date are you going out?
Old 04-29-2015, 10:41 AM
RockyMtC5
Pro

Brakes seem fine, but I've never tracked before so do you recommend I swap brake pads to something better for the track?
Car is definitely built for the track! I haven't been able to even come close to pushing the limits so far so I'm interested in going to High Plains one of these days. I'll have to buy a helmet and sit thru their safety class first but I do want to plan a day to attend. Hoping to not go alone if possible
Old 04-29-2015, 12:37 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Great track but I would definitely get proper pads and brake fluid before you go. Look at the Carbotech XP series most guys on street tires like to run XP10 front and XP8 rear on the C5 they work very well.

Carbotech™ XP10™

When Carbotech™ unleashed the XP10™ to the general public it immediately gathered multiple regional, divisional, and national championships. The XP10™ has a very strong initial bite with a coefficient of friction and rotor friendliness unmatched in the industry. Fade resistance is in excess of 1475°F (801°C). XP10™ still maintains the highly praised release, excellent modulation and rotor friendliness that have made all Carbotech™ compounds so successful. Carbotech™ XP10™ is not recommended as a daily-driven street pad due to possible elevated levels of dust and noise.

Carbotech™ XP8™

A high torque brake compound with a wide operating temperature range of 200°F-1250°F+ (93°C to 676°C+). Carbotech™ XP8™ is the first of our racing compounds. Good initial bite at race temperatures, high coefficient of friction, excellent modulation and release characteristics. Extremely high fade resistance and very rotor friendly. Perfect for track day use with any tire and can still be driven safely to and from the track. Carbotech™ does NOT recommended XP8™ as a daily driven street pad due to elevated levels of dust and noise. Carbotech™ XP8™ is a great compound on the front & rear of most open wheel and sports racers.

XP10 $201 XP8 $158

Fluid:
MOTUL RBF600

‘Typical’ New Dry Boiling Point = 312°C (594°F)
‘Wet’ E.R. (Equilibrium Reflux) Boiling Point = 216°C (421°F)

Motul RBF 600 is a 100% synthetic fluid for hydraulic-actuated brake and clutch systems. Specifically designed to resist the high temperatures of actuated (steel or carbon) racing brakes and clutch systems.

Motul RBF 600 far exceeds the standards of DOT 3 and DOT 4.

The RBF 600 container is filled with Nitrogen to increase shelf life and eliminate contamination while factory sealed.

Extremely high dry and wet boiling points help prevent vapor lock and brake fade during hard use.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 04-29-2015, 04:44 PM
Weston
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I go out to HPR on occasion, and hope to do more this summer... I have an unlimited lapping day pass for 2015. If you're new to track driving, check out NASA Rocky Mountain, as their HPDE 1 program is a great way to get started, and gives you a lot of information and instruction on how to make the most of it.

Adam gives good advice on the brakes... at a bare minimum, you need to flush the fluid with good DOT 4 stuff, but I have RBF600 I'll be putting in before my next track day. I like Carbotech as well... good people and good pads.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:02 PM
RockyMtC5
Pro

Thanks for the info guys!

Well, I'm probably not going to track more than once or twice a year so doing special track pads and fluid sounds a little much…. I can see doing a DOT 4 flush but not sure I want to spend the time and money on all the stuff Adam brought to my attention. Maybe some day, when I have more time to spend going to the track……

Im going to check out NASA Rocky Mountain, like Weston suggested. I'm very experienced driver with good record and just want to be in an environment where I can push the car closer to the limit than I can legally on the streets.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:29 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 490 Likes on 417 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

At least start with new factory pad if you decide to go.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:42 AM
bluemagoo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the addiction! And check out NASA - a good place to get your feet wet if you've never driven on the track before.

Corvettes are fast and relatively heavy. Repeated slowing from high speed without much opportunity to cool will put a lot of heat into the braking system. Much higher demands are being placed on the brakes here than with street (or canyon) driving.

If you get sucked into this aspect of the hobby consider your brake pads, rotors and tires to be consumables. Don't hesitate to ask for help or advice. Be safe and have fun!
Old 05-07-2015, 11:28 PM
huskychopper
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was out there last weekend and I am planning to go again on May 21 for the SCCA track night event

Get notified of new replies

To High Plains raceway, anyone go?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: High Plains raceway, anyone go?