Mountain - Prairie Colorado | Kansas | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Front license plate in Colorado Q

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2004, 04:54 PM
CLLOFF
Pro

Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

Default Front license plate in Colorado Q

My 2004 coupe is a month old now. I still have the temporay Colorado tag on the back. But CO is one of those states that has front license plates. I don't really like the idea of messy up my beautiful front end with a plate. So I am thinking of try to go without it and see what happens.

Does anyone have any experiecnes in CO or any idea what the fine is? Does it cost points too or just a fine?

Thanks.
Old 07-29-2004, 05:19 PM
DENVER_C5
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CLLOFF
My 2004 coupe is a month old now. I still have the temporay Colorado tag on the back. But CO is one of those states that has front license plates. I don't really like the idea of messy up my beautiful front end with a plate. So I am thinking of try to go without it and see what happens.

Does anyone have any experiecnes in CO or any idea what the fine is? Does it cost points too or just a fine?

Thanks.
I don't have a plate on the front, and haven't for about 3.5 years. My father has not had a front plate for over 5 years. No problems for either of us, but even if you do have a run in with the law, it is something like a $30 fine. A small price to pay to maintain the beauty of the Vette
Old 07-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The police won't pull over for it unless they really want an excuse to pull you over. It's still a Colorado law. The meter maids in downtown Denver will write you a ticket in a heartbeat.
$30-35
Old 07-29-2004, 05:46 PM
AcmeRkt1
Instructor

Very rarely do they pull you over for this. I was given a warning while visiting Aspen, he also commented on my tint. Must of woke up on the wrong side of the bed that day.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:30 PM
BAND1T
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't had the front plate on my cars (2 Z28s & the vette) for the last 15 years, have never been stopped for it. Have gotten a few speeding tickets in those years and have never been questioned about it.

But....

the freakin meter maids will ticket you in downtown Denver if you don't have one! Some will let you slide if you put it on the dashboard but some will still ticket you even if you do have it there. :mad
Old 07-31-2004, 05:39 PM
corvettefrance
Racer

Originally Posted by BAND1T
I haven't had the front plate on my cars (2 Z28s & the vette) for the last 15 years, have never been stopped for it. Have gotten a few speeding tickets in those years and have never been questioned about it.

I do, I've been pull over with a focus and got a warning.

But....

the freakin meter maids will ticket you in downtown Denver if you don't have one! Some will let you slide if you put it on the dashboard but some will still ticket you even if you do have it there. :mad
I've been pull over with the vette and the cops did not say anything about the front missing, but gave me a ticket for to turn right on a red light with a "no turn on red" signal
Old 08-01-2004, 02:19 AM
Yibbutkeen
Pro

I don't know about CO, but if you venture north to either Wyoming or South Dakota, they are absolute ****'s. Any form of leo WILL come and ticket you specifically for that offense.

18 years in California with no front plate, no problems. 6 months out here and instant ticket.
Old 08-01-2004, 03:49 PM
jmushockjr
Racer

I too live in CO (when I'm home), I put the front plate on with a "smoothie" insert the same color as my '04 CE Vert, doesn't look too bad actually, did not want to give them a reason to pull me over, the car sticks out well enough as it is!

Just my opinion.

Old 08-01-2004, 07:13 PM
Glasman66
Drifting

I have never pulled the front cover off.

I wonder if there is a way to have the plate behind the cover and when I'm in downtown to throw it in the car and voila I got a front plate.

I was gonna go with the plate on the dash idea until Bandit squashed that.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:12 AM
7LitreC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 646 Likes on 388 Posts

I don't run a front plate and have never had a problem.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:20 AM
GoodbyeGirl
Safety Car

Cruise-In III Veteran

I've been driving w/o a front plate ever since I've owned a Vette (5 + years)

I've been pulled over once and just got a warning.
Old 08-02-2004, 04:12 PM
jrp
Le Mans Master

I just looked up the fine in the state statutes (was searching for muffler infractions - see my other topic), and no front plate will get a $15 fine plus $2.60 surcharge. Not sure if local agencies can levy additional fines.

I haven't had a problem since getting my car last year, but would get a little paranoid when cops were oncoming. I feel more comfortable leaving my plate off now after seeing the small penalty.
Old 08-02-2004, 05:41 PM
boulderlt4
Safety Car

I have never had one, and haven't heard a thing!

But for that low of a fine I will take my chances.

It does help to foil those laser radars. They either bounce it off of your headlights or your license plate. So driving around during the day, with no front plates, you are almost in stealth mode!
Old 04-19-2015, 10:28 PM
64Ragtop
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The law says they can't pull you over for no front plate but be very careful parking in the cities.
Old 04-20-2015, 08:01 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Yibbutkeen
I don't know about CO, but if you venture north to either Wyoming or South Dakota, they are absolute ****'s. Any form of leo WILL come and ticket you specifically for that offense.

18 years in California with no front plate, no problems. 6 months out here and instant ticket.
I got a speeding ticket driving up to South Dakota in Wyoming and no mention was made about my lack of a front plate.
Old 04-20-2015, 10:03 AM
34RedRage
Race Director

damn, this is an old thread....
Old 04-21-2015, 03:23 PM
tommypenguin
Drifting

Received 377 Likes on 187 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Over a decade old thread, wow. No point in killing it now.

I haven't ran a front plate in over a decade on any of my vehicles or my wife's. I have received one ticket for no front plate during that time and I was pulled over for speeding, the cop racked me up for illegal tint and front plate while he was at it. As stated above, the only time you may run into an issue is if you park your car downtown. Guaranteed the meter maids will ring you up for that infraction if they have the chance to do so.

Get notified of new replies

To Front license plate in Colorado Q

Old 04-22-2015, 07:00 PM
ICU2TV
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I do not have my plate on the front of my car as shown in the avatar posting.

I do carry it believe it or not in a food saver bag shrink wrapped behind the passenger seat so if I get stopped that is one item I put on the dash and in the wrapping the chance of scratching the dash is almost eliminated.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:44 PM
blackmachdown
Melting Slicks

Received 169 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by petsur
I got a speeding ticket driving up to South Dakota in Wyoming and no mention was made about my lack of a front plate.
Since your car is a CO licensed car they wont try to enforce non moving violations against you because you "might" be legal in your registered state
Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Weston
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just an easy excuse for cops to pull you over to see if they can catch you doing anything else.

Corvettes often get a pass, because cops know that when you're in a more expensive car, or are generally a bit older, you're probably not doing anything illegal. The Honda Civic with a fart cannon exhaust, primered paint, and ICP stickers, is very likely to be a much more fruitful stop for them.

I got pulled over for it in my C6 once... Cop just was a bored rookie, and he let me go with a verbal warning. But, if you park in Denver or some of the other revenue-grabbing cities, the meter maids will ticket you.

Quick Reply: Front license plate in Colorado Q