CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - Official Thread - August 22-24, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 04:41 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Originally Posted by GS Diva
A 10x10 will definitely fit in the C6 coupe. We bring a 2011 convertible and have a 10x10, 2 folding chairs, clothes, cooler, detailing stuff, beer and wine, and the trunk on a convertible is far smaller than the coupe!

Elaine
Agreed. 10x10 or 8x8 is the best. The 6x6 is very low too so you have to duck, but it gives you shade. And the best thing is that you can leave the tents there all weekend as long as you stake them down and either drop them or take the canopy off at night. We've left ours there for years. Nobody bothers them. We all respect each other's property at this event.
Old 03-08-2014, 09:00 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Ok cool thanks for all of the advice. I'm still trying to talk my dad into bringing an ez-up but he still doesn't believe that we can fit it, two chairs in the car along with a weeks worth of clothes for the both of us....lol. (we're leaving MS the Monday before the C@C, gonna hit the Corvette Mueseum again, the Chattanooga then on over to Reading where we'll be staying with family for the week. It'll be ok even if we don't bring it, I can con my cousins into bringing one with them the day of the meet.

Edit: oh yeah, I emailed the head guy at the Grand Sport Registry about the parking...he said the GSR parking was open to ALL Grand Sports....so for anyone else who might have wondered, now ya know....lol.

Last edited by LarryMow; 03-08-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2014, 10:48 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Good to know. Thanks. And tell dad............yeah, it will all fit, just don't bring the bag for the tent.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:54 AM
monza_man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Des anyone know when the fun field passes will be mailed out? I purchased mine in December but couldn't remember when they were actually sent out. Thanks!

-Matthew
Old 03-09-2014, 10:17 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by monza_man
Des anyone know when the fun field passes will be mailed out? I purchased mine in December but couldn't remember when they were actually sent out. Thanks!

-Matthew
Usually 2 to 3 weeks before the show. You've got a while to wait yet.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:31 AM
monza_man
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Usually 2 to 3 weeks before the show. You've got a while to wait yet.
Awesome thanks! I usually don't purchase them until May/June so I wasn't sure.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:34 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Received 142 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryMow
Ok cool thanks for all of the advice. I'm still trying to talk my dad into bringing an ez-up but he still doesn't believe that we can fit it, two chairs in the car along with a weeks worth of clothes for the both of us....lol. (we're leaving MS the Monday before the C@C, gonna hit the Corvette Mueseum again, the Chattanooga then on over to Reading where we'll be staying with family for the week. It'll be ok even if we don't bring it, I can con my cousins into bringing one with them the day of the meet.

Edit: oh yeah, I emailed the head guy at the Grand Sport Registry about the parking...he said the GSR parking was open to ALL Grand Sports....so for anyone else who might have wondered, now ya know....lol.
Tell Dad to listen to all of us who bring these EZ-Ups year after year. A C6 coupe holds TONS more than my convertible! Hubby and I go for at least 5 days and can wear the same shorts more than once so keep the clothes packing to a minimum. Besides, there's always a laundromat if needed. BTW, use soft-sided bags so they can be squeezed in every available spot.

Have fun!

Elaine
Old 03-09-2014, 12:35 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

Good to know. Thanks. And tell dad............yeah, it will all fit, just don't bring the bag for the tent.
Why wouldn't you bring the bag for the EZ-Up??

Elaine
Old 03-11-2014, 06:59 AM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Goona be a first for the Corvettes... can't wait... Hotel booked - Best Western...heading down with 5 other Corvettes... See you guys there ...
Old 03-11-2014, 10:55 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by GS Diva
Why wouldn't you bring the bag for the EZ-Up??

Elaine
I've never owned a Corvette that will fit an EZ up with the bag and wheels. And it's a pain in the rear to have to put it in the bag. I just close it up, throw a bungee around it, and toss it in the trunk. You'd be surprised how much more room you have without that bag. I don't need the hassle. EASY is the way I like to travel.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:50 PM
GS Diva
Safety Car

I've never owned a Corvette that will fit an EZ up with the bag and wheels. And it's a pain in the rear to have to put it in the bag. I just close it up, throw a bungee around it, and toss it in the trunk. You'd be surprised how much more room you have without that bag. I don't need the hassle. EASY is the way I like to travel.
My bag is a small square (about 3-1/2' long +/-)...no wheels. The canopy I have is a 10x10 Quest which folds down. The bag keeps it all contained nicely and is really not large at all. The bag zips down the whole length, and the "legs" go right in with the fabric top folded on top. Not a problem or cumbersome at all. Oh well...

Elaine
Old 03-12-2014, 06:30 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

I mentioned in one of my previous posts that my dad had recently bought a 2010 GS...the day he bought it, it was a nice sunny day but I guess because he was so happy to finally be getting a Vette that he failed to see the big scratches that each of the rear fenders were sporting. I however, did notice the scratches that night when I saw it and pointed them out to him...well after about 3 weeks of this new found knowledge eating at him, he told me last Friday "well, I've gotta take the Vette to the shop Monday." And naturally, I say what the hell for? He says, because you showed me those two scratches, it bugged me enough that I couldn't stand it anymore and Im gonna have them fixed." I KNEW that it was gonna bug him until he took care of it. But the real kicker to the story is....this past Saturday we took the car to a local car show, and while there I relayed the same story to some friends. We were standing at the front of the car and then I noticed some big scratches on the bumper cover between the grille opening and the splitter. Off handedly, I joked, hell you oughta have the body shop fix that too since youre having it fixed Monday. His response was, "nahhhh, it'll just get screwed up again from rocks and road debris." Yesterday, when I stopped by his house to BS with him he said "guess what?" Without hesitating, I said, let me guess, the front bumper cover bothered you and youre gonna get it fixed too? He laughed and said "well yeah, cant have my new baby looking like crap when we go to Carlisle." lmao (Sorry for the long rambling post, but I just thought the whole situation was funny) It is nice to see my old man this interested in cars again along with the new found fun and enjoyment hes had for the last month. He's had this almost permanent smile on his face since getting it. I'm so happy for him. I'm glad that I was able to talk him into going to Carlisle for a long needed father/son vacation. We're planning on going to the Corvette Museum to see the sinkhole survivors, then Chattanooga, over to Tail of The Dragon, then to Carlisle. So many plans, so long to wait!

Last edited by LarryMow; 03-12-2014 at 06:35 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 05:02 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by LarryMow
I mentioned in one of my previous posts that my dad had recently bought a 2010 GS...the day he bought it, it was a nice sunny day but I guess because he was so happy to finally be getting a Vette that he failed to see the big scratches that each of the rear fenders were sporting. I however, did notice the scratches that night when I saw it and pointed them out to him...well after about 3 weeks of this new found knowledge eating at him, he told me last Friday "well, I've gotta take the Vette to the shop Monday." And naturally, I say what the hell for? He says, because you showed me those two scratches, it bugged me enough that I couldn't stand it anymore and Im gonna have them fixed." I KNEW that it was gonna bug him until he took care of it. But the real kicker to the story is....this past Saturday we took the car to a local car show, and while there I relayed the same story to some friends. We were standing at the front of the car and then I noticed some big scratches on the bumper cover between the grille opening and the splitter. Off handedly, I joked, hell you oughta have the body shop fix that too since youre having it fixed Monday. His response was, "nahhhh, it'll just get screwed up again from rocks and road debris." Yesterday, when I stopped by his house to BS with him he said "guess what?" Without hesitating, I said, let me guess, the front bumper cover bothered you and youre gonna get it fixed too? He laughed and said "well yeah, cant have my new baby looking like crap when we go to Carlisle." lmao (Sorry for the long rambling post, but I just thought the whole situation was funny) It is nice to see my old man this interested in cars again along with the new found fun and enjoyment hes had for the last month. He's had this almost permanent smile on his face since getting it. I'm so happy for him. I'm glad that I was able to talk him into going to Carlisle for a long needed father/son vacation. We're planning on going to the Corvette Museum to see the sinkhole survivors, then Chattanooga, over to Tail of The Dragon, then to Carlisle. So many plans, so long to wait!
We're thrilled to have you and your father to Corvettes at Carlisle. Sorry for the delayed responses all - my wife and I finally enjoyed a much overdue (6 years) honeymoon in Italy

I'm so happy you were able to convince your father into attending this event - especially since you're due for a father/son trip - that's what it's all about!

I hope to meet you and your father during the show, I'll be the guy running around like crazy (but I always have time to say hello!).

Life is good,

Lance
Old 03-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Hpozzuoli
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Taking the RV and towing the vette down for the first time.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:04 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Hpozzuoli
Taking the RV and towing the vette down for the first time.
Nice... driving in style! There is RV parking right outside of Gate 1 (more details on our website).

Glad to hear you'll be attending the event.

Cheers,

Lance
Old 03-23-2014, 09:10 PM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,756 Likes on 3,174 Posts

any recommendations on hotels? looking through usual sites, is it worth it to be close? does it matter? ( 3.5mi - 13mi).
Old 03-24-2014, 08:32 AM
USA1 427
Safety Car

You may have a hard time finding one close at this point. Most of us who know we're going back year after year book the same hotel for the following year the day we check out. But it's not impossible. Check Carlisle's website, and check www.choicehotels.com , priceline, etc. We stayed at the Quality (?) Inn in Scotland/Chambersburg several times and it's nice. It's out about 30 miles, but at 6 a.m. when you're driving to the fairgrounds, there's no traffic and it takes about 20-25 minutes to get there.
Check some of the other threads about hotels in this forum. You'll see lots of places to check and you'll also see people's recommendations for where not to stay.
Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - Official Thread - August 22-24, 2014

Old 03-24-2014, 04:09 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
any recommendations on hotels? looking through usual sites, is it worth it to be close? does it matter? ( 3.5mi - 13mi).
Please feel free using our website, it'll help you find the correct hotel for your budget & etc. CLICK HERE.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks,

Lance
Old 03-24-2014, 04:32 PM
08C6
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonygxp
With my experience I prefer to be closer...after a long day on the site you want to go and shower or for a swim - close by...Best Western in Carlisle has been a great place for me the past 3 years...Just my 2 cents here...Cheers...
Old 03-30-2014, 10:14 AM
2CRUZIN
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be there. Also leaving Carlisle Sunday for the 2014 Corvette Caravan. Will be a fun 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - Official Thread - August 22-24, 2014