2015 Hot Rod Power Tour

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2014, 10:38 AM
enoniam
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 46 Posts
Default 2015 Hot Rod Power Tour

HRPT stops were officially announced this week:

What are the HOT ROD Power Tour dates and cities for 2015?
June 6 – Alliant Energy Center, Madison, Wisconsin
June 7 – Parkland College, Champaign, Illinois
June 8 – Gateway Motorsports Park, Madison, Illinois (St. Louis)
June 9 – Memphis International Raceway, Memphis, Tennessee
June 10 – Hoover Metropolitan Stadium, Hoover / Birmingham, Alabama
June 11 - TBD
June 12 – Lamar Dixon Expo Center, Baton Rouge, Louisiana
June 13 – Lamar Dixon Expo Center – LONG HAULERS ONLY*

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/events/hot-rod...#ixzz3Lh8BgKEZ
Follow us: @HotRodMagazine on Twitter | HotRodMag on Facebook

The wife and I long hauled it last year for the first time in our supercharged chevy avalanche just after buying our C5 vert. We had the top replaced while on the Power Tour, in part so the kids wouldn't get any ideas with a tempting new toy in the garage.

The Mrs thinks she can reduce the amount of stuff we take so that we can go in the vette this year, and even be able to put the top down. Anyone else thinking of doing it this year?
Old 12-26-2014, 12:16 AM
mlt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we signed up last week, we have gone the full tour the last 2 years but have to cut out early this year to get back for our daughters graduation....its been a lot of fun!
Old 01-09-2015, 10:47 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Received 881 Likes on 572 Posts

Trending that direction. Looks like about 88.4% positive right now. Since you are going back, I assume you had a good time last year. Do I need to bring a helmet for any of the competition events?

Just got the vacation approved. It's looking good.

Last edited by TxLefty; 01-12-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:50 PM
enoniam
Pro

Originally Posted by TxLefty
Trending that direction. Looks like about 88.4% positive right now. Since you are going back, I assume you had a good time last year. Do I need to bring a helmet for any of the competition events?

Just got the vacation approved. It's looking good.
We had a very good time last year. The tour route is often on back roads allowing some more interesting landscape to look at while on the way. Downside to that is the occasional traffic bottleneck. Be prepared to spend some time idling in traffic jams, particularly at the entrances to the venues. Just some amazing cars to cruise with and check out at the venues. It's a rolling car show. Local media publicizes the route and you'll see tons of people just hanging out along the route to watch the cars roll by. In Iowa last year where the traffic was backed up some spectators would fill up buckets of water and encourage the participants to due burnouts for their entertainment - as if my vette actually needs water to do a burnout LOL!

Last year helmets were required on the drag strip in Charlotte, but not at Norwalk, OH. I did a single day in 2012 at the Gateway track stop near St. Louis and ran my truck on the 1/4 there - they didn't require helmets then. I haven't done any of the autocrossing, but last year helmets were required for that. Last year the helmet requirements for each track were made known on the HRPT web site weeks in advance of the start of the tour.

Met some great people. At one venue we were at the Edelbrock vendor display when Vic Edelbrock pulled up in his C7. Unfortunately there had been some tremendously bad potholes on the interstate route that day and one had done some visible damage to one of Vic's C7's rims. The wife got a picture of Vic and I assessing the damage. Got Mario Andretti's autograph. Also chatted a bit with the head of Chevrolet Performance regarding crate engines, rebuilding junkyard engines, etc.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:35 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by enoniam
We had a very good time last year. The tour route is often on back roads allowing some more interesting landscape to look at while on the way. Downside to that is the occasional traffic bottleneck. Be prepared to spend some time idling in traffic jams, particularly at the entrances to the venues. Just some amazing cars to cruise with and check out at the venues. It's a rolling car show. Local media publicizes the route and you'll see tons of people just hanging out along the route to watch the cars roll by. In Iowa last year where the traffic was backed up some spectators would fill up buckets of water and encourage the participants to due burnouts for their entertainment - as if my vette actually needs water to do a burnout LOL!

Last year helmets were required on the drag strip in Charlotte, but not at Norwalk, OH. I did a single day in 2012 at the Gateway track stop near St. Louis and ran my truck on the 1/4 there - they didn't require helmets then. I haven't done any of the autocrossing, but last year helmets were required for that. Last year the helmet requirements for each track were made known on the HRPT web site weeks in advance of the start of the tour.

Met some great people. At one venue we were at the Edelbrock vendor display when Vic Edelbrock pulled up in his C7. Unfortunately there had been some tremendously bad potholes on the interstate route that day and one had done some visible damage to one of Vic's C7's rims. The wife got a picture of Vic and I assessing the damage. Got Mario Andretti's autograph. Also chatted a bit with the head of Chevrolet Performance regarding crate engines, rebuilding junkyard engines, etc.
We are in for the long haul. I'll just plan on packing the helmet. The wife is worried about space, but she'll be ok. Didn't realize that there that many celebs around the deal. Really looking forward to it. Only time I've been at Gateway was for SCCA Formula Ford racing. Bought my car in NC and came back on I40. It was like a war zone.
Old 02-06-2015, 02:11 PM
enoniam
Pro

Originally Posted by TxLefty
We are in for the long haul. I'll just plan on packing the helmet. The wife is worried about space, but she'll be ok. Didn't realize that there that many celebs around the deal. Really looking forward to it. Only time I've been at Gateway was for SCCA Formula Ford racing. Bought my car in NC and came back on I40. It was like a war zone.
I just registered yesterday. Already made all of our long-haul lodging reservations except for the still TBD location. Hope to get a chance to meet you and the Mrs.

Last edited by enoniam; 02-06-2015 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:21 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by enoniam
I just registered yesterday. Already made all of our long-haul lodging reservations except for the still TBD location. Hope to get a chance to meet you and the Mrs.
Same here. Went ahead and made reservations in Biloxi, suspecting that might be the TBD site. Can always cancel if it's somewhere else.
Old 02-11-2015, 05:24 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

Found some fun stuff to see on the way up:

World's largest ball of string (as opposed to twine)
World's largest ball of postage stamps
Largest urinal in the Midwest USA
National Rod and Custom Car Hall of Fame Museum
Future Birthplace of James T Kirk
Trainland USA
World's largest truck stop

Old 05-28-2015, 04:47 PM
enoniam
Pro

Getting ready to head north to Wisconsin a week from tomorrow. Hope to meet you TxLefty and mlt sometime during the tour!
Old 05-28-2015, 05:10 PM
mlt
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are leaving for Madison next Wednesday...hope to see you all there and safe trip to everyone
Old 05-29-2015, 01:35 PM
TxLefty
Le Mans Master

We are set to leave Thursday. Getting the last sections of clear bra installed. May need water wings for this deal before the tour is over.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:41 PM
enoniam
Pro

Sorry I didn't get a chance to meet you guys on the tour - hope you had a good tour.

We had problems with the car about 45 minutes before getting to the Baton Rouge venue. Car started running very rough, oil pressure dropped some, and check engine light came on. DIC gave the random misfire code. Got it to the motor medics who put a scanner on it and suggested changing the spark plugs. Seemed to be a bit more of a problem than that but decided to try to take their direction - they told me the Autozone guys could order plugs from one of their local stores and deliver to the truck in the venders' area. Talked to them - they told me they could hook me up, but then a storm blew in and the motor medics closed up and left. Autozone never did call or text me about the plugs. Guys at the hotel we were staying at convinced me to try new plugs and they actually did most of the work to put them in but car still wasn't running right. Took it to Best Chevrolet in Kenner, LA next morning who had there service department open half-days on Saturdays. Their scanner indicated the problem was with cylinder 6. Swapped plugs, wires, coils and injectors and the misfire stayed with 6. Took off the valve cover and the problem was evident when the engine was cranked over - #6 intake valve wasn't moving. They gave me a quote for pulling that head off and replacing that bank of lifters on Monday so that we could drive it home, and gave us a free loaner car. On Monday they had a real hard time getting that lifter out. It's roller was gone - both of the tabs that hold the roller's pin were broken. I didn't see it myself but the tech said that the cam lobe was "knurled" and would need to be replaced, as well as the lifter bore was now scored and would need to be bored out and have a sleeve installed. That said they told me they could put a couple of new lifters in it so that we could drive it home and have the work done at home. We left their after 7:30 that night. Car had a vacuum leak because they couldn't quickly get their hands on the intake manifold gaskets for my Weiand/Lingenfelter intake manifold. At some point the car started getting pretty clickety-clackity but we made it home 800 miles later. Daughter's fiancée has a lift - tomorrow starting the process of pulling the engine.

Get notified of new replies

To 2015 Hot Rod Power Tour

Quick Reply: 2015 Hot Rod Power Tour