CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - August 25-28, 2016 - OFFICIAL THREAD

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2016, 12:03 PM
0Rodney@ridetech
Former Vendor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Register to win @ the Ridetech Booth.

Stop past our Ridetech Booth and register to win. We will be drawing for a free T-shirt every hour and one lucky winner will win a free pair of Shocks for their Corvette. Darren, Trent and Darlene will be there to answer any questions you may have. We also have free Posters of the 48 Hour Corvette.
Old 08-26-2016, 01:13 PM
LarryMow
Racer

Received 93 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by rat123
Any one know if anybody that's at corvettes in Carlisle that Can check out my 1984 corvette a/c. It still working
But its only blowing out abut of cold.
Thanks
Im pretty sure theres a corvette mechanic tent on site near gate 3 and to the left when you come in

Last edited by LarryMow; 08-26-2016 at 01:14 PM.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:33 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Rodney@ridetech
Stop past our Ridetech Booth and register to win. We will be drawing for a free T-shirt every hour and one lucky winner will win a free pair of Shocks for their Corvette. Darren, Trent and Darlene will be there to answer any questions you may have. We also have free Posters of the 48 Hour Corvette.
I will be stopping by to ask some questions about my coilovers I recently purchased.
Old 08-27-2016, 08:19 AM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Received 154 Likes on 54 Posts

8:15 and place is packed already
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2016, 05:49 PM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Jeebers.... Hot, hot, hot today. Don't know what the turnout was, but place seem pretty busy at midday. Lining up for the downtown parade commencing at 6:45.
Attached Images  
Old 08-27-2016, 06:34 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Received 720 Likes on 462 Posts

Too hot for us. We got there Wednesday (won't do that again). Thursday was miserably hot, Friday was nice with a good breeze. But today was mid 90's and NO breeze. We left at 3 and the place was about half empty then. Just too hot.
Dates next year are Aug 24 - 27. See ya all next year!
Old 08-28-2016, 10:30 AM
capevettes
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,553 Likes on 2,160 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C8 of the Year Finalist Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C1 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of Year
2015 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by USA1 427
Too hot for us. We got there Wednesday (won't do that again). Thursday was miserably hot, Friday was nice with a good breeze. But today was mid 90's and NO breeze. We left at 3 and the place was about half empty then. Just too hot.
Dates next year are Aug 24 - 27. See ya all next year!
It was hot but it's always hot. At least it didn't rain. No tornadoes either. We did Thursday and Friday and left early Saturday. Brought the new Z and had a blast. We enjoyed it
A couple of pics of the wife and I on Thursday.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:36 PM
pewter-FRC
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Czarvette

Got to grounds at 5:00. Was more like a normal Tuesday.... No one here! The route 11 strip to I-81, normally packed with Vette's was empty, as well.
was there wed-sun... half the people, half the cars for sale and 1/3 of the used parts vendors werent there. gets worse every year...
The following users liked this post:
ladder13 (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 06:04 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

A few issues for me if I may.

1- Where was the love for the veterans, ie up close reserved parking spaces? Just a one year thing?

2- My friend, who is a Nam vet, paid the fee to park up close. Less than 50 feet away "Kevin" had his space reserved with his yellow placard even though he was in a non reserved area. BTW, he never showed up to park in his self reserved space.

3- Next lane over people had their chairs lined up across 3 parking spaces. Is there no one available to keep people from claiming spots their not entitled to? I was forced to park in the NOT SO FUN FIELD parking way up on the hill(I could have had one of any of those 4 spaces) because people won't abide by common courtesy.

Last edited by ladder13; 08-28-2016 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:29 PM
Tebo38
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ladder13

1- Where was the love for the veterans, ie up close reserved parking spaces? Just a one year thing?

2- My friend, who is a Nam vet, paid the fee to park up close. Less than 50 feet away "Kevin" had his space reserved with his yellow placard even though he was in a non reserved area. BTW, he never showed up to park in his self reserved space.

3- Next lane over people had their chairs lined up across 3 parking spaces. Is there no one available to keep people from claiming spots their not entitled to? I was forced to park in the NOT SO FUN FIELD parking way up on the hill(I could have had one of any of those 4 spaces) because people won't abide by common courtesy.
I agree with the chairs, although i did see a lady security guard rip down someones caution tape and 2 wooden posts blocking his spot. She should have been doing that to everyone and she would have had a nice collection of folding chairs as well.

There wasnt as many bargains this year as ive seen in the past, but sunday morning i still was walking around wishing it was wednesday morning when i was driving there all over again
Old 08-28-2016, 07:32 PM
kcust62
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pewter-FRC
was there wed-sun... half the people, half the cars for sale and 1/3 of the used parts vendors werent there. gets worse every year...
...The other 2/3 used parts vendors had the prices on junk so inflated that many people were simply walking away in disgust, including me.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:59 PM
johngandersonjr
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

this was my first Carlisle and I loved it. There were a few empty spots in the swap area. I am used to going to swap meets in wisconsin where you are lucky if you find 1 or 2 corvette parts the whole day.

Other than the trinket sales people I could find almost anything to buy at every vendor.

Some prices did seem high and you can tell that they did not sell. That is the bad part about eBay. if they don't sell at the swap they will sell on ebay.

Will definitely be making this a recurring event I attend. Wish I could find someone from wisconsin to drive with.......
racelance (08-31-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 08:20 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

I was there from Wed to Saturday night, and if you guys who couldn't find a place would have driven down to row IC and IB you would have found plenty of parking. There was nearly a whole row vacant on Friday in ID, and half that again all day Saturday. So if you had to park on the hill, you didn't look good enough.

I took part in the Veteran's parking last year and what caused problems, and most likely made Carlisle decide NOT to do it again was the simple fact that the majority of the guys who wanted to park there but couldn't acted like ******** and threw fits. If they would have registered, if they would have even bothered to READ about it rather than ASSUME they were entitled there wouldn't have been an issue. But too many guys just thought they were entitled because they were, or said they were, a veteran. You had to pre register to park there and provide your DD214. There were 50 spots available and they were filled quickly. Sorry, but if you don't do your homework ahead of time, don't get mad at your situation when things don't go the way you want them to.

As for the chairs............should have been taken down. There were papers passed out, rules in the books, etc. that said that there is NO saving parking spaces with chairs, tape, or even canopies. The fairgrounds expect us to act like decent humans and respect a tent that is already in place, but just until 10 a.m. After that, all bets are off except for the reserved spaces.
Hey, everyone was a first timer at one point and once you go, you learn the ropes and rules and make it easier on yourself the next year.
racelance (08-31-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 08:26 PM
USA1 427
Safety Car

Originally Posted by ladder13
I'm totally confused here. I was in a reserved spot. If he had a reserved spot, it cost $150, and every one of them had an assigned spot with their space number printed on their window sticker. Plus they had a sign on their spot with their name. So if your buddy paid the $150, why wouldn't he park in his spot? They were all super close to the grandstand. All 150 of them. I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:37 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tebo38
I agree with the chairs, although i did see a lady security guard rip down someones caution tape and 2 wooden posts blocking his spot. She should have been doing that to everyone and she would have had a nice collection of folding chairs as well.

:
I said the same thing, they should have confiscated all the chairs, and "Kevin's" sign and made them come get them up at the furthest end of the property.
USA1 427 (08-28-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 08:44 PM
Czarvette
Safety Car

Just got back home, unpacked the Vette, had some chili and a sandwich. Hope you all made it, or will make it, safe home, as well. Time to reflect on this year's show:

-the CAC team did a knockout job. It's hard work, but they clearly bust *** trying to make this a great experience for attendees. They're unfailingly helpful and courteous. And the grounds and public areas are kept impeccably clean. Ditto for the restroom and porta potty Attendants. A humble job, but nice, friendly people ensuring a pleasant experience when nature calls. They are well worth the tips they earn. In contrast, how many public events have facilities that are just plain disgusting?

- we asked for sunny weather, and we got it. Note to self: next year ask for sunny, comfortable weather.

- downtown Carlisle parade was best ever. Hats off to people of Carlisle who show up in droves. What I find especially appealing are the many young people, from toddlers to teens, who watch. The Corvette is an aspirational car, and events like these plant the seeds for a new generation of consumers in 20-30 years. That's a long way off, but it's important to keep the pipeline full.

- there seemed to be additional food vendors scattered across the vendor area away from grandstand food court. That's was helpful,mand it's nice to see a greater variety of choices. My vote for rookie food vendor of the year is the Greek food place. Nice alternatives to traditional fair food which is heavy on the grease. Pouring a concrete pad for their eating area is a great touch.

- seems that a number aisles were paved in the last year. That's double-plus good. Keep up the good work...some of the aisles in the vendor area are desperately in need of renewal. Not easy going for people with bad ankles, knees, and hips. Saw a lot of moon boots and knee braces in the crowd, myself included. Reality is that we're not all young bucks, but we are enthusiasts with money to spend.

- the reserved fun field parking seemed to be a hit with our friends and I bet even more can be sold next year. They'll be signing up for reserved spots next year. I'm not so sure yet... Would be great if groups could buy blocks of adjacent spots to allow for the social aspect (chairs, pop up tents, coolers with cold ones and our cars immediately at hand) that depends on proximity.

- shameless plug: it goes without saying that the GM tent, the Kerbecks tent, and Chevrolet Racing pavilion are core to the event. But I'd also like to give Adam and the Adams Polishes team a shout-out. They sell a hell of a lot of great product at the event, but also bring a sense of camaraderie and generosity, from complimentary detailing of select cars, to advice and demos, to the customer appreciation event across the street to simply handing out ice cold bottles of water to anyone browsing their booth.

-the swap meet is an important part of the show. I'm glad to have found a pair of fuel rail covers for my '98 which are out of stock from GM and all of the aftermarket houses. I noticed that the number of swap meet vendors seemed to be down, and they emphasize C1-C4 parts. A lot of this stuff seems kind of junky, I'm sad to say. Very few offered C5-C6 parts, and I only noticed one with C7 parts. My eyes told me that the most popular generation on the fun field was C6, and C5 and C7 tied for second. I perceived more C3s in fourth place, with a tie between C2 and C4 for fifth. C1 was the rarest. My advice would be to encourage swap meet vendor attendance towards your fun field generational demographics.

- speaking of vendors, a couple commented that they were being admonished by the CAC team for not having enough automotive-related product and having jewelry, handbags, etc. if that's true, I'm not sure it's wise... The name of the game is to get people to the show and have them buy stuff at vendors. Women and young people have money to spend (duh!) and aren't interested in rusty, greasy parts on blue tarps. Anything that can be done to make the vendor area wares more attractive to others than do-it-yourselfers surely would be good... Empty vendor spots are sad, and frankly, having a "women's tent" for the little ladies is so 1950s-ish. More on point are seminars such as Brittany's corvette maintenance for women. Corvette people have money to spend... Get more high end vendors in!

- some more thoughts on vendors: installation alley is great, and Al Knoch interiors seems to do great business. But how about other services? Why is no one mounting and balancing new tires? What happened to the tuners? Why is no one offering at-show car detailing? Or installation of do-dads and OEM parts?

- shade and seating areas... Can some shaded pavilions (tents?) be scattered through the field with benches and fans and vendors offering cool drinks? Give people a chance to rest their feet and cool off... While keeping them in vicinity of the vendors.

Already looking forward to next year: we registered for 2017 before leaving the grounds!

Last edited by Czarvette; 08-28-2016 at 08:48 PM.
racelance (08-31-2016)
Old 08-28-2016, 08:55 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by USA1 427
I'm totally confused here. I was in a reserved spot. If he had a reserved spot, it cost $150, and every one of them had an assigned spot with their space number printed on their window sticker. Plus they had a sign on their spot with their name. So if your buddy paid the $150, why wouldn't he park in his spot? They were all super close to the grandstand. All 150 of them. I'm trying to figure out what you're trying to say.

Sorry for the confusion, I confuse myself as well.

My friend did park in his assigned space. And to be truthful it's more my issue than his. My point was, he and you, paid for close up parking and then someone just claims a spot very close to the paid parking by blocking the space.
If the offender wanted a guaranteed spot near the grandstand he should have shelled out the money and paid for it like 150 others did.

OTOH, the parade was the best I've ever seen.

Last edited by ladder13; 08-28-2016 at 08:56 PM.
racelance (08-31-2016)

Get notified of new replies

To CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - August 25-28, 2016 - OFFICIAL THREAD

Old 08-28-2016, 08:58 PM
JoeD-C8
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 140 Posts
St. Jude Donor '18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Hotter than hell. It was our first, already booked for next year. Met some great folks and I have to say for the size of the event , it was run well. It is a nightmare trying to coordinate all the services and those behind the scenes. Kudos to you all.

Here are some quick pics.

Old 08-28-2016, 09:16 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Paul Koerner(Brittany, too) is worth every penny he gets paid, that guy has helped me out immensely with little tidbits here and there.
I make sure to attend every one of his, and Brittany's, seminars.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:28 AM
Deco77
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was there all day Friday. Awesome day great cars/people. Only downside was it felt like the 7th layer of hell breeze or not lol

Quick Reply: CORVETTES AT CARLISLE - August 25-28, 2016 - OFFICIAL THREAD