Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Topic of the week: Where were you when it happened? (9/11/2001)

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2005, 12:34 PM
C6 DVL
Team Owner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08
Default Topic of the week: Where were you when it happened? (9/11/2001)

I was getting ready to leave for work & watching TV. They were reporting on plane crash in to the World Trade Center and all of the sudden another one flew into the second building. The reporter was speechless.......................and that's when I realized we are being attacked.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:38 PM
sscamaro
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I just walked into Dunkin Donuts after the first plane hit. Then I saw the second one hit, then I knew it wasn't any accident. By the way, my Camaro SS was built on 9/10/01.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:46 PM
RPOZ51
Race Director

Location: For the strength of the pack is the wolf . . . . . . and the strength of the wolf is the pack.
Received 141 Likes on 102 Posts

What is this? OT? Okay, I'll play . . .

I was working in New Jersey, when we got a report that a plane had hit the WTC. I had worked in 2 WTC back in the '80s, and more than once I had seen small planes come close to the building.

I didn't know Alex then. So, I thought some random azzhole had miscalculated. I figured, "Put out the fire, fix the windows, and get back to work." Right?

Then we heard that the second tower was also hit. All of a sudden, this was no accident.

Someone put on the TV in the conference room, and we watched the story unfold from there.

It was a beautiful, clear day. Our office was about fifteen miles north of the WTC buildings, and we could see the column of smoke from our office.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Intimidator3
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Was headind down the WSH to work..about 4 blocks north of Canal street. I did not see the actual planes flying in, but I did see all the aftermath. Lost a cousin in there. What a sad day in history.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:20 PM
Billy182
Melting Slicks

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

deleted

Last edited by Billy182; 12-14-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:25 PM
Villain C5
Melting Slicks

Received 42 Likes on 19 Posts

As the First Plane Hit I was half Asleep on the train into the city and now remember the Conductor saying " OMG look at the WTC" but didnt really pay attention to it at the time. As I walked out of Penn Station I still didnt know what happened but noticed people looking up and some runing the other direction. As I walked down 7th I looked up and saw the cloud of smoke from the first plane. As i went to class and other students mentioned it was a plane crash, and then minutes later word of the second plane and third. We ran outside to see what we could and caught the tip of one of the towers falling. I will definately never forget that day
Old 09-06-2005, 01:27 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I was in my office at 8:46 when all of a sudden, I heard what sounded like a plane landing right above my building's roof. A few seconds later, I heard a muffled boom. I ran to one of the windows facing south and I saw that one of the world trade center towers was on fire. Everyone in the office dropped what they were doing and we ran to the back conference room which had a clear view of the the world trade center. We watched as the second plane hit the WTC. I'll never forget that aweful day.

My coworker took this pic from the window on our conference room. He took the second pic as he was walking over the Manhattan bridge to get home.

Last edited by alex1217; 09-06-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:32 PM
jinxxman1
Racer

was working in Jersey City, NJ building was on Hudson street. Came out of the path to see the first tower on fire. Watched from the window as the second plane swooped in and crashed into the second. Spent the remainder of that day creating a triage center in our building lobby and helping carry wounded, handout water and food, make phone calls for the people that made it over the river. Spent the next 3 days helping however I could around the building as it had become a command center for relief/investigation/search and rescue etc. Whether that meant stacking pallets of water to take to ground zero, or handing out towels and socks to the police catching some sleep here and there on cots in conference rooms.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:57 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Well I have to say I was lucky not to be working in the city on that day. At DTCC from my current office I would have had a direct view of the twin towers - which would have sucked. Many of my co-workers though were on the 52nd floor when the 2nd plane came between our building and Citigroup on its way to the 2nd Tower. They saw everything on the plane and then the impact.

I happen to be by Washingtons Rock in Warren NJ which you can see the city from. I watched everything from there and that was bad enough.

For a long time the wind would push the smoke over my house in NJ as a constant reminder of what happened...

Old 09-06-2005, 02:07 PM
INTRUBL
Le Mans Master

I was sitting in a dentists chair getting a cleaning. When the first one hit we all thought it was an accident. When the second one hit my dentist comes in and says "we should turn that part of the world into glass".
Old 09-06-2005, 02:14 PM
It'sHerVette!
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Mobile, AL just turned off highway 90 on the way to our plant. From the radio report it sounded like some idiot had tun his Cessna into the WTC. Found out much to the contrary when we saw the live TV. Three of us drove non stop back to NJ in a rental car.

When I got home the next day I could smell the smoke from the towers.

Couldn't focus on anything else.

Have some of the same emotions now as we also have a facility outside NO and some of my friends and colleagues are affected.

Last edited by It'sHerVette!; 09-06-2005 at 04:28 PM.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:32 PM
Nabbs
Drifting

I was at work in Boston that day, when one of my guys told me a plane had hit the WTC. Having lived through WTC 1 both my wife and I figured it would be no big deal. Realized something was wrong after the 2nd building collapsed. I remember driving home and thinking how beautiful out it was.

We made our way down to NYC the next day.

Lost a cousin in the WTC. He left his car at the MetroNorth Station on his way to work and nobody had the heart to go get it for a very long time.

I'll be honest, I remember returning home that day crying uncontrollably. I got really mad at a couple who was putting mountain bikes on their car, asking them how they could go out and do that on a day like today.

I mark my life as pre-9/11 and post-9/11 -- in either case I am a very different person as a result.

-N
Old 09-06-2005, 02:35 PM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I was working from home that day and I got a phone call from my mother to look out the window. When she told me a plane hit I thought it was a small plane and that it was an accident, then I seen the footage of the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower on TV and I knew it was an attack. I wanted to kill someone that day and still do

Had just recived my digi-cam the week before and took these pics http://community.webshots.com/album/21181638aFssSipJIN
Old 09-06-2005, 02:40 PM
jsup
Team Owner

Location: Bergen County, NJ Democrats, doing for the country what they did for Michigan

I was just coming into the parking lot at work, in Little Falls, the big green building on 46.

My wife called and told me. Thought is was an accident at first. After the second car hit we took the elevator to the highest floors to see the smoke rising.

Since many people around the country were in their offices, I had my wife hook up my video conference system at home to my sattellite dish.

We took it into our bridge and had about 100 offices around the country watching Fox News from my family room.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:48 PM
Corz
Team Owner

Cruise-In IV Veteran

I had just returned from an art class to my schools auto body department around 8:30am. I then masked up and started to spray a car. When painting a car you have your own little environment and you dont talk to anyone or really notice anyone else.

When I was finished with the paint job around 11:30 I noticed that no one was in the shop except for myself and my teacher. I looked out to the parking lot and everyone was gone. By the time I found out what happened I was in total shock and couldnt believe it.
Old 09-06-2005, 02:58 PM
mowton
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Boarded an American Airlines flight from JKF to LAX which departed around 8 AM. Passed the WTC at about 8:15 or so and as it was a very clear crisp day, the towers shined as if to say check me out. Me and another co-worker actually said how beautiful they looked in the morning sky. Little did we know, it would be the last time we saw them.

About 1/2 later, the flight attendants went from carefree to very serious. As a seaaoned business traveler, I knew something was up. Finally the pilot came over the PA and announced we were being diverted to Cincinnati due to, and i'll never forget these words.."due to terrosist activity in New York".

Now I just sat for a moment and thought. Is there a bomb on board, is there terrosits on board, etc. It wasn't untill we landed in Cincinnati did we finally learn of the severity of the situation back home.

My poor wife, who was at work, was questioned if she had heard about the American Airlines aircraft hitting the WTC at just about the same time we passed them. She was mortified!!!! It wasn't until about 4 hours later that I was finally able to reach her and let her and my company know that we were allright.

As no AC were flying, I used all me premium Hotel and Car Rental status to secure a room for the night and a car to drive home the next day. I will never forget the site of the smoldering smoke eminating froim where the towers once stood as we came in via Route 80 on the Jersey side.
Old 09-06-2005, 03:28 PM
Alex1217
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by mowton
Boarded an American Airlines flight from JKF to LAX which departed around 8 AM. Passed the WTC at about 8:15 or so and as it was a very clear crisp day, the towers shined as if to say check me out. Me and another co-worker actually said how beautiful they looked in the morning sky. Little did we know, it would be the last time we saw them.

About 1/2 later, the flight attendants went from carefree to very serious. As a seaaoned business traveler, I knew something was up. Finally the pilot came over the PA and announced we were being diverted to Cincinnati due to, and i'll never forget these words.."due to terrosist activity in New York".

Now I just sat for a moment and thought. Is there a bomb on board, is there terrosits on board, etc. It wasn't untill we landed in Cincinnati did we finally learn of the severity of the situation back home.

My poor wife, who was at work, was questioned if she had heard about the American Airlines aircraft hitting the WTC at just about the same time we passed them. She was mortified!!!! It wasn't until about 4 hours later that I was finally able to reach her and let her and my company know that we were allright.

As no AC were flying, I used all me premium Hotel and Car Rental status to secure a room for the night and a car to drive home the next day. I will never forget the site of the smoldering smoke eminating froim where the towers once stood as we came in via Route 80 on the Jersey side.
OMG!!!

Karen must have been freakin out! Your kids too.

I'm glad you are still with us Mowton.

Get notified of new replies

To Topic of the week: Where were you when it happened? (9/11/2001)

Old 09-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Face
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I took a vacation from work that week. I slept kind of late, woke up, and called my friend's muffler shop. I wanted to see if he got some rims in stock for me. They told me what was going on in the city, I turned on the TV, and just sat in bed all day watching.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:25 PM
FELNGR8
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Believe it or not, I was driving to Boston in the Vette for a customer visit at EMC. Lucky I decided to go north of the City on I-84

I couldn't get tunes on I-81 in PA so I tuned everything out with the CD. I was halfway across Connecticut before I heard what happened in a Burger King. I had to drive all the way back to Wilkes-Barre before I could contact anyone from work in DC.
Old 09-06-2005, 04:27 PM
a851yy07
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by C6 DVL
I was getting ready to leave for work & watching TV. They were reporting on plane crash in to the World Trade Center and all of the sudden another one flew into the second building. The reporter was speechless.......................and that's when I realized we are being attacked.
yup exactly what i was doing

Quick Reply: Topic of the week: Where were you when it happened? (9/11/2001)