Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

CFNE Remembers - 9/11/2001

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 08:01 AM
06 DSO
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Never Forget

To all those who suffered a tragic loss that day, I would let you know you are all in our prays, not only today but everytime we look to our city's skyline. We all have a scar deep in our hearts that can never be filled and it's that what hurts the most. For myself, I remeber firefighters who were highschool buddies, who now have streets named after them on Staten Island I won't forget you. To families who lost a loved one I once worked with on wallstreet, my prays go out to you all .
Today and everyday we as Americans remeber how wicked and evil others can be, it's our strength as a people and a nation that will keep us free ....God Bless all of us today and watch over our families who suffered such a loss today...

jerry
Old 09-11-2007, 08:57 AM
agentf1
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Wow, this thread really brings it home. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and family of that horrible day.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:09 AM
TryNkeepUp
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Old 09-11-2007, 09:10 AM
Sparkieeee
Team Owner

Location: Brooklyn, NYC .. If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere, New York, New York - Fred Ebb
Cruise-In VIII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Originally Posted by agentf1
Wow, this thread really brings it home. My thoughts and prayers go out to all the victims and family of that horrible day.
As they read off the names of those lost at Ground Zero this morning, our hearts break over and over ..... but I can not imagine the anguish those who have lost loved are feeling on this horrible day
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 AM
billyranger
Burning Brakes

remember Gregory Preziose, he died that day .......................
Old 09-11-2007, 09:16 AM
TryNkeepUp
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Just a few images I wanted to share

Old 09-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Sparkieeee
Team Owner

Location: Brooklyn, NYC .. If I can make it there, I can make it anywhere, New York, New York - Fred Ebb
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by billyranger
remember Gregory Preziose, he died that day .......................
I remember
Old 09-11-2007, 10:02 AM
Nukmeister1
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

Originally Posted by tomtom72

I agree with Bob, 6spd98, everytime I look at the spot in the skyline my mood goes south....it's like a wound that won't heal.

I with you both on that as well. Just an empty space where you know something belongs

We will prevail

Originally Posted by NYCHASM
Watch, listen and read. Does watching this make you as mad as it makes me? Does this really **** you off? Don't you want to just kill some people ... the way they just killed us? THIS is why we are where we are ... remember that!

http://attacked911.tripod.com

Ok I promised myself I would not be a babbling idiot crying with snot running down my face today - its not working
Old 09-11-2007, 10:24 AM
Humanoid 2.0
Team Owner

Received 131 Likes on 86 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

In 9/11 remembrance, a turning to good deeds

By Alexandra Marks
Mon Sep 10, 4:00 AM ET

On Sept. 11, Jacob Sundberg of San Antonio has pledged to make eye contact and smile at everyone he meets. Kaitlin Ulrich will bring goody baskets to the police and fire departments in and around Philadelphia. And 100 volunteers from New York – 9/11 firefighters and family members among them – are going to Groesbeck, Texas, to rebuild a house destroyed by a tornado last December.

This is a minute sampling of the hundreds of thousands of people who have pledged to memorialize those killed on 9/11 by doing something good for others.

The heroic acts of all those killed trying to save others that September morning has spawned a growing grass-roots movement. The goal is to ensure that future generations remember not just the horror of the attacks, but also the extraordinary outpouring of humanity during the days, weeks, and months that followed.

"It was the worst possible day imaginable, and in some ways, a remarkable day, too, in the way in which people responded," says David Paine, cofounder of myGoodDeed.org. "We need to rekindle the way we came together in the spirit of 9/11: It would be almost as much a tragedy to lose that lesson."

Sept. 11 has inspired dozens of philanthropic efforts – from groups dedicated to building memorials to foundations designed to improve education in the Middle East. But myGoodDeed has a more universal goal: to turn 9/11 into a day dedicated to doing good – from small, simple things like Lisa Scheive's pledge to help stranded turtles cross the road in Pompano Beach, Fla., to lifesaving efforts, such as John Feal's decision in New York to donate one of his kidneys to help a seriously ill 9/11 worker.

The idea has been endorsed by members of Congress, and at myGoodDeed's urging, President Bush for the first time this year included a call for volunteering in his annual 9/11 proclamation.

After major disasters, Americans have historically tapped a deep reserve of compassion and reached out to others. But in the months and years that follow, those compassionate and civic urges tend to recede. Studies at Harvard's Saguaro Seminar on Civic Engagement in America found that in as few as five months after 9/11, most Americans had gone back to their daily lives and were not more engaged as they said they'd hoped to be. Part of the goal of turning 9/11 into a national day of service is to remind Americans of the inherent joy of giving and to hopefully spur volunteering and charitable acts throughout the year.

"I don't know of any research that's been done on one day of service, but studies have shown that people who do volunteering in high school are more likely to volunteer throughout their lives," says Thomas Sander, executive director of the Saguaro Seminar.

The idea of turning 9/11 into a day of service, charity, and good deeds came from the family and friends of one man: Glenn Winuk, a volunteer fireman and lawyer who worked a block and a half from the World Trade Center. After he helped evacuate his Broadway law offices, he grabbed a medic's bag and ran toward the smoke pouring from the South Tower. That's where his remains were found after the towers fell. Mr. Paine and Glenn's brother Jay had been friends for years. They decided that turning 9/11 into a day of service was best way to memorialize Glenn.

"It completely reflects the way my brother lived his life, and it also specifically reflects how he died," says Mr. Winuk, myGoodDeed.org cofounder. "He laid his life on the line for other people that day."

In 2002, Paine and Winuk sent e-mails to friends and family and suggested they do a good deed, such as donate a day's pay on 9/11. Then the idea evolved, and they founded myGoodDeed.org. In 2004, 100,000 visited their website and pledged to do a good deed on 9/11. This year, those pledging number more than 250,000.

"A lot of people don't know what to do on 9/11," says Paine. "This hits people in their heart and their soul. It connects with something that's fundamental."
Old 09-11-2007, 10:37 AM
Sparkieeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by Nukmeister1
I with you both on that as well. Just an empty space where you know something belongs

We will prevail

Ok I promised myself I would not be a babbling idiot crying with snot running down my face today - its not working
I don't think that we are alone in that right now
Old 09-11-2007, 11:09 AM
NYCHASM
Race Director

Location: Probably talking that police officer out of giving you a summons! ========== The Beautiful Lower Hudson Valley, NY
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I just came across this reply that I posted last year on the Z06 Vette site. As you can see, my feelngs and thoughts haven't changed

It was just last night...I drove past that big hole in the ground on West St. on my way into Brooklyn. Having seen the first attack in 1993 first hand and having been on Ground Zero days after the 9-11 attack, it's extremely difficult to express my feelings every time I drive past that void that once contained the greatest towers on the planet.

It takes a lot to make me teary eyed but every time I see pictures like those in that video, it brings back some horrible memories of that day. I will never forget the sight...the sounds...the smells...all indelibly etched in my mind.

Remember the patriotism in the days that followed? Remember our pledges?
Remember our resolve?
Remember our President as he spoke at Ground Zero?
Remember those thousands of innocents that died?
Remember those first responders that ran in as others were running out?
Remember how angry we were?

The photos in that video need to be shown over and over and over again to those that have again become complacent and apathetic. Remember the motto...WE WILL NEVER FORGET? Maybe that needs to be changed to say something like WE WILL NEVER BECOME APATHETIC!! I guess we won't ever forget but we sure have lost our resolve and patriotism again. We sure seem to be just sitting back on our complacent asses waiting for it to happen again...only the next time will be bigger and better and more devastating than most of you can imagine.

For those of you that don't know, the numbers in my sig represent the number of lives lost at the WTC. Those in blue are the NYPD officers, those in red the FDNY fire fighters and those in black the civilians. The picture was taken from the top of the Met Life building on 42 St., above Grand Central Terminal, about 5 miles north of Ground Zero. The Empire State Building, adorned in red, white and blue lights, is on the far right. The twin beacons of light were from a temporary memorial erected on site.

Thanks to Cameo for posting this as we rapidly approach the 5th anniversary.

Oh yeah, I have much more important things to do than to read the conspiracy theorists' bull****. Referring to them as "some very smart profs" is a slap in the face to some very smart profs.

Charlie
Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 AM
Sparkieeee
Team Owner

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Since Billy can't get online - the phone lines are down at work again

Here is his memory of that day ...

He ran downtown from 42nd St and 10th Ave to 16th Street AND 5th Avenue to get Michael out of Xavier. He was the ONLY one running downtown, while thousands of people, covered in soot and dust ran uptown ..........................
Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Nukmeister1
Race Director

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08

An Open Letter to Terrorists

I don't know your name, or names
- we may never know who you are -
so I can't address you personally.
You killed several thousands of
our friends...perhaps not people who we
knew personally, but people like us.
People who worked hard to make a living,
who loved someone, who were loved by
someone, who worried about making a better life
for their children and grandchildren, who
believed in God and the American Dream,
who criticized this country for its
insufficiencies and cared enough to
try and change things and ensure a better
future, not just for us, but for the world.
People who leave behind scores of loved
ones, friends, pets, neighbors, coworkers,
and members of their faiths.
Perhaps even people who derived from your
own country and who sought refuge here.
Your act was a slaughter of the innocents.
You are like an insidious cancer that strikes
without warning, ravages bodies, tears families
apart, and in the end can never destroy the soul.
You are the ultimate coward.
You may topple our buildings, collapse our
communication systems, disrupt our government,
crash our markets, and leave behind the carnage
of bodies, but you will never destroy the soul of America.
We made this country from the bits and pieces
of the rest of the world; we took the best,
the worst of every culture and nationality,
race and creed, and made an alloy that may be
dented, but not even a trial by fire can melt.
I don't know what God you believe in, or what
hateful rhetoric you espouse, or what your
misguided political beliefs might be that allows
you to do what you did today without a fear of
eternal damnation. I only know that you may
win a battle or two, but you will never win this war!
We have the entire history of the world on our side,
and no dictator, despot, or madman has survived
as long as America has thrived and prospered.
If you accomplished anything at all today, it
was to give America a wake-up call, and we will
now rise up stronger than before.
You are defeated before you've even begun, there
in your private hell and later in your eternal one.
Someday your people may even need our help,
and because we are America, we would respond.
May God bless the friends we lost, their families,
friends, neighbors and coworkers. We will help them
rebuild from the ashes.
May God continue to bless America, help her to
protect us all, and may she continue to shine as
a beacon of democracy and hope to the rest of the world.

Poem by: Jim Willis 2001(c)
Charlie I think we all feel well most of us feel the way you do. I am still scared - when that plane doesn't seem to be at the right altitude in the sky or that white box truck with strange plates or a box near the subway station. Will they strike again Most definately they will try - will they succeed? I'm pretty sure they will. Why? Because suddenly we have to be politically correct to even the people who are trying to kill us because we are FREE
Old 09-11-2007, 12:44 PM
billyranger
Burning Brakes

I remember that like it was yesterday, I was so worried they would not make it back, Spodack wouldn't let me go look for them.

Man what a circus they are turning this into down here, you can't walk anywhere, there are 20 cops keeping people from walking down Pine street which is 3 blocks away from the park.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Rex Ruby
Le Mans Master

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts
Philly 'Burbs Events Coordinator

Today does bring back the tragedy and the catastophic loss of life. I pray that those affected somehow find strength to keep living.

We are all pissed about this happening on our own mother land. IMHO there is far more to be upset about. Mainly greed. How about the clean up contractors being paid per truck load leaving the site with half a load? What about the war machine getting weathly from supplying the war. Why hasn't Osama been found and destroyed? Why are 2 of our citizens a day dying over there? Why are 15 a day suffering injuries? Why are families having to deal with one parent being over there? When will it end?

As F'ed up as it all is this is still the best country in the world to live in but I think it's time for some real resolve
Old 09-11-2007, 01:38 PM
billyranger
Burning Brakes

well at least one good thing came out because of this day

The Who in concert

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2sWjouB1YA

I think it will be on TV tonight
Old 09-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Baron138
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Always tough seeing the tributes on this day. I am a firm believer that that days events should be broadcast more often so we never forget what was done to the country, and the families and loved ones of those lost.

Get notified of new replies

To CFNE Remembers - 9/11/2001

Old 09-11-2007, 01:52 PM
98NYFINESTVETTE
Le Mans Master

Location: 10.70 @ 124mph, Stock Bottom End @ 3620lbs, ECS Racing Team Member. The 1st NMCA LSX Index Rumble World Champion. 2011,12,13 Champion

I will never forget those that gave and also those that were lost.

I spent over 1,000 hours there.
I now have lung problems, I see it as if it could be worse then those that did not make it.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:45 PM
TC-Vette
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08

We lived on the Jersey City waterfront until August 11, 2001 and took the Path train through the WTC station every morning to work. Breakfast every morning and dinner every night we looked out our window across the bay to the twin towers.

We were in Berlin Germany when we heard, my wife first since she was on a converence call with colleagues in NYC when the first plane hit.

It hit us hard, being so far away, and while we were angry about our country being attacked, we were also proud to be able to show our new German friends what makes America so great. Put aside all our military might, our economic power, our world-wide impact, and you have what REALLY makes me proud to be an American:

Originally Posted by NYC Vette
That said, it was a day when the people of NY really showed their compassion -- as everyone was walking home throughout the city, it was amazing to see people helping, offering rides, giving people water, lining up to donate blood, and just plain being cordial to each other.

Until you've lived overseas, you can't appreciate how amazing the American PEOPLE are. We personally give to charities, we hold the door for each other, we give blood - all for no reason than that it is part of the American psyche. Voluntary giving is rare outside the US/Canadaian borders.

It doesn't matter what kind of military action we take at home or abroad or what ecomonic sanctions we place on rogue regimes - as long as we don't undermine the ideals and liberties that make us who we are, we will continue re-inventing ourselves to be the greatest country on earth.

I've always been a "happy" person, so while September 11th is a day of sadness for the loss of life, it is also a day of great pride in that it reminds me what kind of helpful, giving, free-thinking we are.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:55 PM
RJD42
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Port Authority Police Department lost 37 Police Officers that day. I cannot forget my co-workers and wonder often how my job would be today if we did'nt lose some of our best. I was there on the 11th and would'nt wish the sights and sounds on anyone.

Quick Reply: CFNE Remembers - 9/11/2001