Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Garage floor - epoxy or tile?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 12:01 AM
striper
Le Mans Master

Received 246 Likes on 215 Posts

I used Ucoatit in my garage. My house was new and I lived there only a few months when I did it.I did it myself and 13 years later I'm still happy with it. Cleans up easy and looks good when swept and washed. Easy to keep clean and you can spill anything on it and it just wipes up. I only had a couple of tire spots come up but Ucoatit sent me the material to repair it when I'm ready to get around to it. The kit comes with everything including goggles and gloves. I did the 3-step finish with the terazzo effect and clear coat. The hardest part is completely emptying the garage to do the job and not painting myself into a corner.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:51 AM
EFL
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Epoxy Garage

Just reading this. Glad I wasn't the only one that struggled a littlebit. When I bought my new home last year I took the Saturday Home Depot class and bought the Epoxy Flooring Kit. Needless to say the project did not go very well. I thought that I followed the instructions to a T but apparently I didn't prep and dry correctly because the coat started coming away after 6 months.

I ended up speaking with some Garage Experts and they lead me in the direction of "sparticote" because it was thicker and more durable. Honestly, I think the epoxy would have been fine if I had done it correctly but since I had to pay someone to re-do the job anyway, I figured I would go with the most durable option. I don't think it's quite as sexy as the red epoxy but it definitely looks professional and does the job.

Just one guys experience.

Last edited by EFL; 02-01-2017 at 07:52 AM.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:11 PM
EFL
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Humanoid 2.0
Unless you have virgin concrete I think anything you get from a big box stores that spots will eventually fail within a year. It is all in the prep, and even with proper prep I don’t think any do-it-yourself epoxy will hold up over time.

I was at the NJ home show last month and this stuff look the best so far: www.garagefloorcoating.com

Not cheap at $.5.25 / sqft installed with surface prep and maybe a $1.00 more if you have old epoxy paint to remove.
I've seen a few epoxy training centers that do a 3 day class and teach you everything from dye mixes to stencils and metallic finishes. Have you ever thought of doing something like that?
Old 02-02-2017, 10:15 AM
1rawTA
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I put the rust oleum from home depot on my 25 year old concrete garage floor and its holding up decent taking in all the variables. 25 years old, DIY kit, i did prep the floor good and let it dry very extensive before parking on it.

This is in a townhouse with a decent sized 1 car garage. When i move and get the garage setup i want 3+ car i will go with a industrial installed garage floor done by a pro
Old 02-02-2017, 10:21 AM
EFL
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by 1rawTA
I put the rust oleum from home depot on my 25 year old concrete garage floor and its holding up decent taking in all the variables. 25 years old, DIY kit, i did prep the floor good and let it dry very extensive before parking on it.

This is in a townhouse with a decent sized 1 car garage. When i move and get the garage setup i want 3+ car i will go with a industrial installed garage floor done by a pro
Probably best.
Old 02-06-2017, 11:46 AM
Cchief
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

A few years back I saw Race Deck at the SEMA show and bought it, great investment, I vacuum it and occasionally use a sponge mop to clean it, neighbors think I am crazy. It wears like iron...only issue i had was when Sandy flooded my garage, it took several days to take it apart and clean each piece and reinstall.
Old 02-06-2017, 01:20 PM
1rawTA
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Cchief
A few years back I saw Race Deck at the SEMA show and bought it, great investment, I vacuum it and occasionally use a sponge mop to clean it, neighbors think I am crazy. It wears like iron...only issue i had was when Sandy flooded my garage, it took several days to take it apart and clean each piece and reinstall.
Parents house had the same problem. Took a few days to dry out after sandy, but cleaned up pretty decent
Old 02-06-2017, 07:02 PM
Fasteners201
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Polish concrete is the way to go. Hire a professional to come in and grind the floor and add color or just finish with epoxy. You can finish like Home Depot. Lasts for ever if done right.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:10 PM
Axelrod
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 48 Posts

Pay to play.

More than $5 per square foot for custom epoxy.

Contact "ArmorPoxy" in New Jersey. They are a high-end commercial epoxy supplier and they have a great reputation on the Garage Journal. They sell "Project Pallets" with the A and B part chemicals for the surface, clear epoxy (surface) and primer, tools, studded shoe covers, etc.

I've seen a few posts that mention "PREP". This is the most important aspect.

If you're doing epoxy, you'll need to rent a diamond grinder from a rental company. Pricey? Yes. But, the concrete needs to have a scuffed texture. The other point to diamond grinding is that it removes the surface particulates/junk that evaporate into the surface when the concrete dries after the installation.

PREP. DIAMOND GRIND.

I have a friend that did a double broadcast floor with tea-size granite/black colored traction quartz. OMFG that floor is nice.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:55 PM
68ragtop69
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
MD Events Coordinator
2015 C3 of Year Finalist
Cruise-In X Veteran
CI-X Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

I've had tiles (similar to RaceDeck) installed in my garage for a few years now. They are easy to clean and have held up really well. My only complaint is when I use a jack or jack stands; the weight of the car pushes the wheels or jack stands into the tile causing minor damage. The fix is to use 3/8" to 1/2" plywood to distribute the weight across several tiles.

I went with this solution because a dealership was removing them from their showroom; I paid .50 cents per tile! Best investment ever!
Old 02-17-2017, 07:41 PM
DAC17
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 99 Likes on 61 Posts

Anyone have the name of a quality installer for garage flooring in the Central CT area?
Old 02-28-2017, 12:14 AM
LittleC7
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I only have a one car garage so I did the RaceDeck flooring. Easy to install and designed my own pattern however, I am cleaning it all the time cuz I am that way I am with the snow and dirt from my DD. I did purchase a new Bissell floor cleaner machine so that should make it easier to keep clean! LOL
Old 02-28-2017, 09:18 AM
Cchief
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LittleC7
I only have a one car garage so I did the RaceDeck flooring. Easy to install and designed my own pattern however, I am cleaning it all the time cuz I am that way I am with the snow and dirt from my DD. I did purchase a new Bissell floor cleaner machine so that should make it easier to keep clean! LOL
Thats a great idea for the floor cleaner, what model did you purchase? I mop mine with Mr. Clean a few times a year.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:09 PM
Redc8z06
Melting Slicks

Received 1,566 Likes on 860 Posts

I have Racedeck flooring and use this.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Redc8z06; 03-01-2017 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:52 PM
LittleC7
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I just got the machine so I haven't tried it yet: Bissell Crosswave 1785 Series. I got it from HSN, You don't have to vacuum first, it does both at the same time.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:01 PM
ForceFedC4
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm looking at race deck circle track for my 23x23 garage. I called and got a quote for $1881.31 shipped for 529 tiles.

I then mentioned, I am a Corvette Forum member, the price changed to $1617.00 free shipping.

Is this the best I can do, or did anybody find a better price than calling them directly?
Old 03-11-2017, 05:16 AM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 789 Likes on 533 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Race Deck

I went through the same decision process last August and ended up doing the Race Deck, great folks to work with and a 1/3 less cost of epoxy(at least in my area). I did all the measurements and designed it with their on-line tool and then installed it myself, all you need is a sabre or table saw. It took me 9 hours to do a 700sq ft garage. Here are a few pics, this was right after the install and there were still moving boxes everywhere and I changed a lot of the shelving but it gives you a general idea.

Last edited by Too-Fast; 03-11-2017 at 05:17 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage floor - epoxy or tile?

Old 03-11-2017, 06:02 AM
Fasteners201
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Nice Job!
Old 03-11-2017, 12:20 PM
Too-Fast
Safety Car

Received 789 Likes on 533 Posts
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Fasteners201
Nice Job!
Thanks!
Old 03-12-2017, 03:49 PM
OSKI
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
We di our shop with the U coat it epoxy. Prep is key and this building was brand new. Did 2 coats of base and a clear. It's been 2.5 years and the floor still looks very good.No peeling but some wear down around the lifts. Customers always comment on how good the floors look.

So,in a full time shop the floor is still good after 2 years, it will last forever in a home garage. Look at my site for some shop pics.
New to the forum, so not familiar on how to properly navigate around yet. Can you tell me how I could view the pictures of your floors. Thank you.

Quick Reply: Garage floor - epoxy or tile?