Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Colin Powell Named Grand Marshal of Baltimore Grand Prix

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Colin Powell Named Grand Marshal of Baltimore Grand Prix

From the local Baltimore Sun newspaper:

"Former Secretary of State Colin L. Powell will be the honorary grand marshal for the inaugural Baltimore Grand Prix on Sept. 4, race organizers announced late Tuesday night.

Powell will give the command to "start your engines" to the field of IndyCar drivers at the start of the 80-lap event. He also will be given the opportunity to take a 180-mph tour of the 2.0-mile temporary street circuit in downtown Baltimore from the passenger seat of an IndyCar two-seater.

"The opportunity to be grand marshal for the inaugural Grand Prix is an honor, as it will showcase the city of Baltimore and the beautiful Inner Harbor to a worldwide audience, and I'm very happy to be a part of that," he said. "And I must admit, I'm really looking forward to my 180-mile-per-hour tour of the city."

Jay Davidson, the Baltimore Grand Prix president and CEO, said: "The city of Baltimore has a long history with the United States armed forces, and to have General Powell in our city to experience this inaugural event is an absolute honor. We are planning a number of activities surrounding the Baltimore Grand Prix that will thank and celebrate the role and sacrifice that members of the military have given to our country."

Baltimore Grand Prix weekend will run Sept. 2 through Sept. 4 and will encompass a 2.0-mile temporary street circuit traveling through downtown, past the Inner Harbor and around Camden Yards. The weekend will feature a combination of racing and festivities, highlighted by the American Le Mans Series and IZOD IndyCar Series.

Tickets are available at baltimoregrandprix.com or 877-4-FLY-TIX."

Last edited by vetdude; 04-13-2011 at 08:09 AM.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I have a lot of respect for Colin Powell and his politics (that and he IS a Corvette owner and enthusiast.) Nice choice He hails from New York ya know.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:58 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,407 Likes on 611 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

That's cool. Mr Powell is not new to Corvettes OR Indy cars. He owns a red C6 and he has driven the Pace Car at teh Indy 500...

Here's a pic I took of Colin Powell at the wheel of the pace car at the 2005 Indy 500

And Colin driving the Pace Car down pit lane after letting the field of 33 start down the front straight.

Old 04-14-2011, 04:57 PM
ALMS21
Melting Slicks

Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts

He let me down with the last POTUS election. Be curious to see how he feels now given whom he pulled the lever for.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:09 AM
CTYANK2
Cruising is the passion!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 304 Likes on 213 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Any update on Corvette Corral?

Get notified of new replies

To Colin Powell Named Grand Marshal of Baltimore Grand Prix

Quick Reply: Colin Powell Named Grand Marshal of Baltimore Grand Prix