Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Classic Chevrolet in maple Shade, NJ Closed

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:10 AM
zekemug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I moved to Jersey, I never thought that Classic was a new car Dealer just by Appearance. The Dealship that gets me has been there since I was a kid and I'm 60. When I was a kid we always took RT.30 ( Whitehorse Pike) to AC. We passed it every week. Arena Buick now, I think it was Olds at one time. It is the smallest dealership I've ever seen. Everytime I go by I'm amazed it's still there. Somebody tell me something about Arena.

Last edited by zekemug; 01-31-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:19 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,017 Likes on 1,309 Posts

I love Arena! It really is a throw back to a different time. They've been located in that same spot for 90 years, and are still owned and operated by the Arena family. They're now run by the founder's grandson. The showroom's so small, that I don't think a car will fit in it.

At one time they were an Oldsmobile and Cub Cadet (yea, the lawn mower people) store. They added Pontiac probably 30 years ago, and GMC about 15 years back. When GM killed Olds, they gained the Buick franchise, to replace Olds.

Four years ago, when the Feds and GM decided to kill Pontiac and purge a number of GM dealers, I think they were on the hit list. I'd heard they were getting axed, and there was a period of time when they didn't seem to have any new car inventory. There were some dealers that got a reprieve, or at least a stay of execution, and Arena may have been one of them. They seem to have more new car inventory now, then I ever remember them having in the past.

A buddy of mine, use to be a mechanic there, before opening his own shop. He'd told me that over the years, Arena had sold assorted other brands, including Nash and International Harvester Trucks, but Olds had been there since the 30's.

Today Arena still sells Cub Cadet mowers, along side Buick and GMC Trucks.

Not that long ago, in addition to Arena, Hammonton had Cadillac, Chevrolet and Ford stores. The Caddy and Chevy franchises were sold and moved elsewhere, and the Ford store died about 5 years ago, right after completely remodeling their dealership.

Somehow, Arena has managed to survive over all these years. Maybe it's the Cub Cadets!
Old 01-31-2013, 09:35 AM
C5 Pete
AMP Racing
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 466 Likes on 352 Posts
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2017 C5 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12

Word I heard is Wawa is finally going to build there.
Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Much alined with Arena Olds is another historical auto dealership in Atlantic City New Jersey. Mathis Studebaker in Egg Harbor Township New Jersey built in 1926-27 at a cost of $90k. That's a lot of money in 1926 dollars. Pic-->
Old 01-31-2013, 03:35 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zekemug
When I moved to Jersey, I never thought that Classic was a new car Dealer just by Appearance. The Dealship that gets me has been there since I was a kid and I'm 60. When I was a kid we always took RT.30 ( Whitehorse Pike) to AC. We passed it every week. Arena Buick now, I think it was Olds at one time. It is the smallest dealership I've ever seen. Everytime I go by I'm amazed it's still there. Somebody tell me something about Arena.
Classic definitely looked...well, Classic.

Originally Posted by gbvette62
I love Arena! It really is a throw back to a different time. They've been located in that same spot for 90 years, and are still owned and operated by the Arena family. They're now run by the founder's grandson. The showroom's so small, that I don't think a car will fit in it.

At one time they were an Oldsmobile and Cub Cadet (yea, the lawn mower people) store. They added Pontiac probably 30 years ago, and GMC about 15 years back. When GM killed Olds, they gained the Buick franchise, to replace Olds.

Four years ago, when the Feds and GM decided to kill Pontiac and purge a number of GM dealers, I think they were on the hit list. I'd heard they were getting axed, and there was a period of time when they didn't seem to have any new car inventory. There were some dealers that got a reprieve, or at least a stay of execution, and Arena may have been one of them. They seem to have more new car inventory now, then I ever remember them having in the past.

A buddy of mine, use to be a mechanic there, before opening his own shop. He'd told me that over the years, Arena had sold assorted other brands, including Nash and International Harvester Trucks, but Olds had been there since the 30's.

Today Arena still sells Cub Cadet mowers, along side Buick and GMC Trucks.

Not that long ago, in addition to Arena, Hammonton had Cadillac, Chevrolet and Ford stores. The Caddy and Chevy franchises were sold and moved elsewhere, and the Ford store died about 5 years ago, right after completely remodeling their dealership.

Somehow, Arena has managed to survive over all these years. Maybe it's the Cub Cadets!
Very interesting. You know some really good history on NJ dealers.

Originally Posted by Capthuff
Word I heard is Wawa is finally going to build there.
Really? Wonder if they are making any changes to address the traffic concerns.

Originally Posted by Ol'55
Much alined with Arena Olds is another historical auto dealership in Atlantic City New Jersey. Mathis Studebaker in Egg Harbor Township New Jersey built in 1926-27 at a cost of $90k. That's a lot of money in 1926 dollars. Pic-->
That is cool. Where is that building at? Be cool to drive by it the next time I'm in the area.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:35 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Originally Posted by cjlaw73
That is cool. Where is that building at? Be cool to drive by it the next time I'm in the area.
I love that old Studebaker dealership. It's a fantastic old building. Unfortunately, it's in very bad shape. I remember riding by there as a kid in the 60's, when they were still selling Studebakers.

On the top of each corner of the building, there are large Studebaker logos. If you look closely at Ol'55's picture, you can see the logos on each corner, over the arches. They are the 1920's style Studebaker logos, with the Studebaker script spread across a spoked wheel.

The building is located on the Black Horse Pike (Rt. 40/322) in Pleasantville. If your heading toward AC, it's on the left hand side. I can't give you it's exact location, but it's not far past RT.9, maybe 6 to 9 blocks. There's a fire house right near it.

The building was an antiques store for years. I had stopped in once or twice, not to shop, but just to look at the building. The store is now closed and for sale. I had read about someone who was looking for $1 and $2 dollar donations, to help buy and restore the building as a museum of some sort.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:46 PM
zipity
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 668 Likes on 290 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Very Interesting read. I bought my first car from them back when it was Stanley Chevrolet, a 1979 Chevy Monte Carlo.

Sad to hear folks will be out of work. Another crazy Jersey dealership question, what's up with the Ayers Cadillac/Pontiac/GMC dealership in the Burlington area on Rt. 130? I have stopped in at times and found no one inside. And they have a brand new never titled Pontiac G8 (v6) on the showroom floor.
Old 01-31-2013, 11:21 PM
Ol'55
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I love that old Studebaker dealership. It's a fantastic old building. Unfortunately, it's in very bad shape. I remember riding by there as a kid in the 60's, when they were still selling Studebakers.

On the top of each corner of the building, there are large Studebaker logos. If you look closely at Ol'55's picture, you can see the logos on each corner, over the arches. They are the 1920's style Studebaker logos, with the Studebaker script spread across a spoked wheel.

The building is located on the Black Horse Pike (Rt. 40/322) in Pleasantville. If your heading toward AC, it's on the left hand side. I can't give you it's exact location, but it's not far past RT.9, maybe 6 to 9 blocks. There's a fire house right near it.

The building was an antiques store for years. I had stopped in once or twice, not to shop, but just to look at the building. The store is now closed and for sale. I had read about someone who was looking for $1 and $2 dollar donations, to help buy and restore the building as a museum of some sort.
Here ya go. There are two images... click or thumb wheel down from the top one to read the plea for a dollar to aid in the fight to save this historical building from the wrecking ball. Link--> http://rci.rutgers.edu/~crisitel/SDC...p%20Museum.pdf
http://rci.rutgers.edu/~crisitel/SDC...p%20Museum.pdf
Old 02-01-2013, 04:15 AM
zekemug
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hate to say it but I remember that as a car dealer. Studebaker closed late 60's, then it was a Mercedes Benz for a little while. That Antiques store has been there forever. I always said I was going to stop in sometime and never did. The store just looked so unorginized but right. To give you an idea of location just a little further towards AC, other side of road is " World Renown Julia Reader Adviser ". She might have moved up to Spiritualist, has been there forever. No Appointment Necessary, I guess she knows you're coming. True story about 15 or 20 years ago I went by and the whole place was ablaze, guess she didn't see that coming.

Last edited by zekemug; 02-01-2013 at 04:28 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:21 AM
nj02vette
Race Director

Location: Marlton. Increasing performance one speeding ticket at a time! NJ
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts

Sad to see another business lost in the area, although the good guys who worked there (very few) have already moved on or found other jobs. The rest were about as qualified to work behind the counter making my Turkey sub at Wawa.

Classic had decent new car pricing, but HORRIBLE used car pricing. I didn't appreciate the sales tactics and the service was hit or miss. Stopped going there years ago. Still will miss seeing "Corvette Corner" next to the mall though.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 AM
DRM500RUBYZR-1
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 108 Likes on 74 Posts

Most (perhaps not all), of their used Corvettes deserved to stand in the corner.
The prices?
Simply made them remain standing in the corner for a long, long time!
Great place to buy an econo box, but the smart money bought their Corvettes elsewhere, unless car-lust blinded them.
Businesses that go out of business usually do so for a reason.
They were not always bad, but neither were they consistently good.
Likely the best location in the area, so to not make it there, certainly tells you all that you need to know sorry to say.
Still sad to see any small business throw in the towel.

Marty
1FUNZR1
Old 02-01-2013, 09:26 AM
cjlaw73
Race Director

I use to drive by there all the time in a previous job. Surprised I never knew about it. I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in the area. Be nice if it could be preserved and turned into some cool auto-themed business.

Here ya go. There are two images... click or thumb wheel down from the top one to read the plea for a dollar to aid in the fight to save this historical building from the wrecking ball. Link--> http://rci.rutgers.edu/~crisitel/SDC...p%20Museum.pdf
I'll check them out, Ed.

Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1
Most (perhaps not all), of their used Corvettes deserved to stand in the corner.
The prices?
Simply made them remain standing in the corner for a long, long time!
Great place to buy an econo box, but the smart money bought their Corvettes elsewhere, unless car-lust blinded them.
Businesses that go out of business usually do so for a reason.
They were not always bad, but neither were they consistently good.
Likely the best location in the area, so to not make it there, certainly tells you all that you need to know sorry to say.
Still sad to see any small business throw in the towel.

Marty
1FUNZR1
Funny, the last couple of times I had been by there, Corvette Corner looked more like Camaro Corner. I looked at a couple of used Vettes there over the years, and as you and Ryan stated, I never thought their prices on used Vettes were very resonable.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:33 AM
gbvette62
Race Director

That's what I was referring to. I think someone was passing around a copy of it, at a Corvette club meeting or show.

Originally Posted by zipity
Another crazy Jersey dealership question, what's up with the Ayers Cadillac/Pontiac/GMC dealership in the Burlington area on Rt. 130? I have stopped in at times and found no one inside.
I'm pretty sure they were one of the dealers that lost their franchise 4 years ago, when Obama was purging GM of "excess" dealerships.

The last time I rode by there, I thought that the Cadillac/Pontiac/GMC sign, had been replaced with an AC Delco parts and service sign?

Originally Posted by zekemug
To give you an idea of location just a little further towards AC, other side of road is " World Renown Julia Reader Adviser ". She might have moved up to Spiritualist, has been there forever. No Appointment Necessary, I guess she knows you're coming.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:53 AM
Don Rickles
Race Director

Received 180 Likes on 134 Posts
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C3 of Year

I'm in the market for a GOOD used lift. Any of these dealers merchandise/ equipment being auctioned off, like they did when GM dropped the axe years ago?

Missed out on a 12,000 capacity lift a Stockberger Chevrolet in Newtown PA.....Sold for 2300.

WB
Old 02-12-2013, 02:02 PM
nj02vette
Race Director

Though some needed to be closed. I was tempted to dance around Lenihan Jeep in Marlton when Chrylser pulled their plug. Bought my first car (Jeep Wrangler) from them out of college. Ended up lemon lawing the vehicle. Won my case with Chrylser and was aksed to work with the dealer in replacing the vehicle potentially with another Jeep off their lot. Well, the process took so long that eventually Chrysler had agreed to give me an upgraded vehicle at no additonal cost. Basically they were going to give me a 6-cyl Wrangler Sport to replace my 4-cyl. Rio Grande Edition and allow me to continue paying the same monthly payment for the same term. I go in to Lenihan, pick out the Sport I like and the sales manager basically tells me why would I give you that Jeep through Chrysler at MSRP when I can sell it to someone else for more. Way to encourage repeat business!
Sounds like me and Triboro Pontiac in Cinnaminson. Bought three cars in 3 years there. Thought I was a good customer.

That was until they gave me back my TA completely smashed in the side, claiming I dropped it off that way.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:40 PM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Originally Posted by nj02vette
Sounds like me and Triboro Pontiac in Cinnaminson. Bought three cars in 3 years there. Thought I was a good customer.

That was until they gave me back my TA completely smashed in the side, claiming I dropped it off that way.
Ah, don;t we all love a good dealer story...

Taking the Tahoe to Elkins tomorrow. We'll see how they are.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:13 AM
nj02vette
Race Director

Ah, don;t we all love a good dealer story...

Taking the Tahoe to Elkins tomorrow. We'll see how they are.
Elkins has always treated me right.

Even when they destroyed the engine in the TransAm.
Yes, their fault, but they manned up and made things right.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:44 AM
cjlaw73
Race Director

Originally Posted by nj02vette
Elkins has always treated me right.

Even when they destroyed the engine in the TransAm.
Yes, their fault, but they manned up and made things right.
Yeah I read some good reviews of them on the internet. I was in and out in 5 minutes for them to look at my warped BSMs on the Tahoe. Pretty easy trip.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:25 PM
EPMM 03 C5
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought a 2000 Camaro SS at Elkins and had a great buying experience..if i ever buy a chevy except for a Corvette i will shop Elkins first.

Quick Reply: Classic Chevrolet in maple Shade, NJ Closed