Northeast Connecticut | Delaware | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Martyrdom | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New York | Pennsylvania | Rhode Island | Vermont | West Virginia

Carlisle a dud?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MITCH
I feel the same way Vin!! I am surprize the Lance has not chimed in on this thread. I wonder if there are any plans to correct the lack of vendors and parts at the event???
Mitch
He chimes in sporadically to the Carlisle post in the NATIONAL events forum.

(Didn't go this year due to weather forecast and declining vendor participation)
Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

What exactly would you like or think Lance can do? He certainly can't change the economy which is what is driving both the weak vendor and attendance numbers.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:26 AM
corvette Stu
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusher
What exactly would you like or think Lance can do? He certainly can't change the economy which is what is driving both the weak vendor and attendance numbers.
How about not sucking up as much profit ?Think that might help out some ?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:33 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 20 Posts
2017 C3 of Year Finalist

I'm not a sales tax expert, but from what I have read, PA is trying to crack down on internet sales. So basically they have said if you have a office or distribution center in PA or if you physically sell items in PA for a certain number of days a year, you must pay sales tax.

So take Mid America as an example. They don't have an office or warehouse in PA. So they don't have to collect sales tax for PA. It's technically the responsibility of the PA resident to report that on their income taxes. But if they come to CAC and sell items for a certain number of days (and I think it's absurdly low, like 2), they must collect sales tax on all PA orders all year long. Not just what is sold at the show, but on all of their orders all year. Understandably, companies don't want to be bothered with it.
Old 09-02-2014, 10:36 AM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by red rock
A vendor spot for 2015 is $105 for the weekend. Seems pretty reasonable to me. What exactly would you like them to do? Are you willing to spend more to subsidize a vendor?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:36 AM
vetdude
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Vins
As one vendor said "go through our catalog and make a list.of what you want and we'll ship it to you". That's not what Carlisle is about. You see it, you buy it and, you take it home.
Exactly. Not that long ago, many vendors even used to offer "show" discounts of 10%-20% off their products AND they carried a wide assortment for all model years, AND, NO SHIPPING FEES!!! I really feel for the little guys under the tents, too. Used to find some nice deals on car care products, parts, die-casts, etc. Times they are a changin'...and not for the better I'm afraid. If the majority just use CAC as a social gethering, why not morf it into a Corvettes & Coffee?
Old 09-02-2014, 10:38 AM
Crusher
Just an Ole Surfer Boy
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NCM Ambassador
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'08-'09-'10-'13-'14

Originally Posted by red rock
I doubt you have any idea how much it cost to run such an event or how much profit they make. I mean it is a business and there in business to make a profit. I guess if it were yours you would be happy to break even or even lose money. CAC is not as good as it once was but it is better then nothing and a whole lot more then you can find ANYWHERE else in the US.
Old 09-02-2014, 11:18 AM
Chevy Guy
Team Owner

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MITCH
I feel the same way Vin!! I am surprize the Lance has not chimed in on this thread. I wonder if there are any plans to correct the lack of vendors and parts at the event???
Mitch
Vendors go to events based on their ability to make money, CAC doesnt seem to have that draw anymore. When the state starts busting chops and getting involved, thats usually the death knell for any situation. If vendors arent willing to go to an event or properly stock the event, a $100 spot isnt the reason.

Like I had menetioned previously, Corvettes had a good run, partially thanks to the good economy, the entire market has cooled down, even tuners and shops are seeing this.
Old 09-02-2014, 12:13 PM
x88
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Guess I'm happy I made the call to do other things that weekend instead of heading over to CAC. I don't get the hype about buying parts at a show, you guys really want to walk around and stuff your vette with parts and ride home slowwwwly so that none of your parts get tossed around? I don't even like riding with a spare shirt or spare phone charger. I guess I'm too young to understand. If I was going to buy something in person, I'd just remember what it was and buy it online for 25-50% less, that goes for just about anything.

I can understand the excitement of buying some little things here and there (<=$100) but for anything more you could get it online cheaper
Old 09-02-2014, 12:32 PM
DOUG @ ECS
Premium Supporting Vendor

Location: Providing the most proven supercharger kits for your C5/6/7 609-752-0321
Received 1,084 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by tdogg21
A vendor spot for 2015 is $105 for the weekend. Seems pretty reasonable to me. What exactly would you like them to do? Are you willing to spend more to subsidize a vendor?

What show are you talking about? Because if you knew what our booth and tent cost you would understand why vendors are down sizing there.

$105... that's hilarious..
Old 09-02-2014, 12:52 PM
tdogg21
Burning Brakes

2017 C3 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by DOUG @ ECS
What show are you talking about? Because if you knew what our booth and tent cost you would understand why vendors are down sizing there.

$105... that's hilarious..
http://store.carlisleevents.com/Sear...lts.asp?Cat=29

Manufactures midway I'm sure is going to be a lot more.....for a reason, prime location. I look at being in the midway as part of your advertising budget as well. And if you want your booth to be more than one spot wide, then obviously that will also drive the cost up. The midway is full every year, so it seems people are complaining about the smaller vendors not showing up.

I'm not saying things are perfect or couldn't be improved. I have no idea the finances behind the scenes. But that's the point. Neither do the people on here saying the Carlisle Events is squeezing the small vendors. I'm not interested in a pissing contest, but if people are mad Mid America didn't bring any merchandise or small vendors aren't showing up with a truck load of C2 parts, they should first direct their anger at the vendor (or the state of PA for their sales tax laws).
Old 09-02-2014, 01:01 PM
MITCH
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Crusher
Maybe he can tell yes the story as to what is going on from his point of view. There is a alot of guessing going on and maybe we would like to here fact.
Mitch
Old 09-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Vins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default we welcome your thoughts Lance!

well being that I started this thread, I would like to cordially invite Mr Lance Miller himself to reply to some of the

comments forum members have written here regarding the every year complaint about people saving spots on the Fun Field.he did include a letter in this years participants packets stating that this would be frowned upon and chairs would be removed from the field. also what about the vendors? can you tell us why they were smaller this year and in the selection of aftermarket parts was so sparse.also how much are you charging people to sell a vehicle in the car corral probably less than a hundred cost for sale they're not that I'm in the mall to buy a used Corvette

Last edited by Vins; 09-02-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: wrong words
Old 09-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Vins
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default edit

Less than 100 cars in the corral. And I'm not in the market for a car
Old 09-02-2014, 04:16 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

Received 120 Likes on 68 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by C5kid
This is the exact reason I didn't go back this year. I talked to Chip last year about this and he said that it would be addressed. Not surprised nothing has been done.

A few people I talked to said the vendors were WAY down in size and the car corral was empty.

2013 is most likely the last time I'll be attending. Sounds like CaC is on the same path as GM Nationals.
C5kid & VIN,

It was addressed this year, please refer to the registration packet (a letter was included) and the event magazine from this year. We also tore down caution tape in many areas and left a kind note asking people to not reserve their spaces as they come on a first come, first serve basis. Our parkers were also instructed to follow order as well, this year was much better than in years past but we need to stay on top of it moving forward. Special thanks to those of you out there that helped us out!

Hope this helps!

Lance
Old 09-02-2014, 04:17 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by TractionControlOff
Last year was perfect weather and the launch of the C7. Also, Tadge didn't go this year (not sure if that impacted turnout). The cards were not in anyone's favor this year. A friend of mine called our hotel three days before we left and booked a room - there were a tremendous number of late cancellations due to weather.
Tadge had a wedding to attend this year.

We'll let him slide!

Cheers,

Lance
Old 09-02-2014, 04:18 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by Sidepiper
Whats the big deal about spot saving, there were plenty of other spots... I don't get it....too many bruised corvette egos.

This is my third year in a row....I would think most swap meets have changed over the past 10 years due to the online marketplace. I would much rather have a chin spoiler for my C7 shipped to my door rather then carrying it around 20 acres and stuffing it in my corvette for a 3 hour ride home. The one thing I did get that could not be found on Ebay or the parts section of this forum was upper rocker trim for my 68....35$ at carlisle..

I like the show, I think Lance and the crew do a great job....Its a nice weekend getaway for my wife and I to meet up with some corvette friends. Anytime I can see 4000 corvettes together and talk to some of my most used vendors in person....I'm in.
Thank you, we do the best that we can and will continue to do so.

Cheers,

Lance

Get notified of new replies

To Carlisle a dud?

Old 09-02-2014, 04:20 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by 68sixspeed
I wish they would stop doing Thursday, maybe it would make it more of a Friday-Sunday show instead of a Thursday-Saturday show. The local hotels jacking prices and requiring 2-3 night stays isn't helping either. (let alone the drop in vendor attendance, etc.) I really hope they can turn it around, it had been my favorite summer tradition for a long time.
We had strong vendor support, however some vendors opted not to attend due to the weather forecast. Rest assured we'll give it our all and continue making the event better. If you have any recommendations, please feel free shooting me an email directly: lancem AT carlisleevents.com.

Cheers,

Lance
Old 09-02-2014, 04:22 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by PHILLIE PHANATIC
I had heard alot of people had to choose between CAC or the Caravan, not everyone can take off as much time from work as they want. As far as the venders, it did seem weaker, what was up with Mid America's tent? What a joke ! Is that what their Funfest is like? I still enjoy seeing all the Vettes and meeting new people, my buddy and I met 6 nice guys from "Allentown Area Corvette Club". I guess it's what you make it. Still the parade is FANTASTIC !
FunFest has a few LARGE tents with many items for sale throughout. I'll be there in a few weeks, shoot out and visit - I always encourage people to attend Fun Fest & Bloomington Gold. Hope to see you there.

Lance
Old 09-02-2014, 04:24 PM
racelance
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ladder13
I'll be going back next year for # 32 and counting.
AWESOME! Thanks for your continued support!

Lance

Quick Reply: Carlisle a dud?